Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

****!

I didn't even know there was a session out there today. I was emailing Chris back and forth this morning!

Ive just sent him an email.

My first thought is, Im so glad Chris is ok. That's a high speed place to have an off, especially without bucket seats and half cage, but it looks like they have designed it well to scrub speed without rolling the car and I guess there was a dollop of luck in there too. Lets hope the scans are all clear and the worst damage is a bit of stiffness when he gets out of bed tomorrow morning!

My second thought is a real feeling of sorrow for Chris. I know how much effort he put into that car and also the long weeks he spent battling to get it complied in the first instance. It was looking mint and he was rightfully very proud of it. Unfortunately what I see of it is probably BER (Beyond Economical Repair) or at the very least it will need a full front clip. Not matter right now, its only metal and plastic and the most important thing is Chris is ok. There are plenty of 964s out there...

John. Ive been in two high speed/impact crashes in my life. I can honestly say there are so many variables that at the end of the day "the hand of your maker" is probably just as relevant as all the other things. A Hans is only good with a 6 point harness and more dangerous than not without. Before a Hans even I would consider a half cage, rolling the car is what causes the most head injuries. There are so many variables and only a few we can control. Loosing ones brakes on that corner is a "fate comp let". Turn 1 is a gamble on any given day. Its the only corner on the four tracks Ive driven that truly scares me. I guess we will know in time. All it needs is for a sticky piston seal to not back the pad off the discs, next thing you know youve covered 500m with the pads taking the head boiling the fluid, you stamp on it and its just not there any longer. Those seals and pistons in the brembos need re building fairly regularly if you are going to do the track time you are doing. I had mine rebuilt 25k km ago. About to fit brand new set up. Lets see what they say about Chris, but if its the pistons at fault suggest everyone consider having these re sealed. Low cost job,. 964s struggle with brakes, putting better pads on does nothing for heat. Better than a Hans everyone make sure there brakes are up to scratch., These are 20 year+ old cars. Some are taking on targa too. Why replace stuff only when it fails. Plenty of lessons for us all here...
Old 02-11-2014, 11:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. Chris and I talked at some length about the virtues of leaving that spare wheel bolted in the trunk on our way to Langes Beach in Nov. Ive never removed it from may car. I seriously doubt Chris did either, he shared my conviction on this point...
Old 02-12-2014, 12:25 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
That's terrible. i'm trying to picture whereabouts in relation to turn 1 that is? Any ideas. Is the dirt some recent construction? The damage looks worse than hitting the dirt pile? Really sorry to see your fine car like that Chris.
Chris said he had no fade prior to that, went straight when he had no brakes.

He downshifted a couple of times but preferred a straight hit to a roll. Sound thinking.

Still talking behind the scenes but from here I'll leave it for Chris to update us all himself.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Clever fella! Anything but straight there would have been a multiple roll and much increased his risk of injury. That's a 5th to 3rd double heel & toe for me under (late) brakes. With a dead centre pedal Id be stripping gears to scrub speed. John, you might have to pack a parachute on Herman's ***! Lets wait to hear from Chris in his own good time....main thing is he sounds physically well.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:06 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Chris, so sorry to read the bad news. Hope you're all good. Good luck with the aftermath, if there's anything I can do to help let me know.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:28 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Argh, No that sucks. Gets real very quick. I hope you're all good bud.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:45 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG that is awful. Thank God you are ok Chris. Smart thinking on going straight ahead... Take care mate. You're irreplaceable but the car is not despite how gutted you are.

Points taken Macca.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:00 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

That looks nasty. Hope you are doing ok Chris.

Hmm, where to get a front cut for a 964?
Old 02-12-2014, 03:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Looks like those site works were temporary and not usually there. Id say Chris has gone front in at speed and effectively stood the car up on its nose. The spare wheel in the trunk wouldnt have made any difference the front chassis rails are plenty strong enough. Doesnt explain clearly the rear quarter damage (assume this is what as popped the engine hood) but suggest the impact coming down may have helped there. However it unfolded Im sure it was a very scary moment for Chris. Ive never had a brake failure, but I can only imagine its pretty much the last piece of equipment you want to have a chronic failure with!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:00 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Jason has some good ideas for head units Doug. Other option is I have a 10 year old like new in box El Chameleon JVC headunit that works very well in the 964/993 as its just a black faceplate when closed. Im pretty sure I also have some speakers that will work on the rear shelf. All can be had cheap as I need to make space...here it is in my 993 at the end of 2001. Things have changed in the last 12+ years!
Thanks Macca. I'd like to look at those when you are down Macca. While I could delete the stereo I love my music on a long trip like the Cape Reinga and SITT. Otherwise the flat 6 makes great music.

I picked up all my wheels and old parts etc from Dave's place tonight and tucked them away in my garage.

Chris, if it is any help and your car can be fixed I have a a surplus set of yellow indicator lights and, if you bent wheels, damaged tyres, spares for Africa. I hope the car can be rebuilt mate.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:01 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am gutted for you Chris. I hope you are OK. Will be an emotional roller coaster for a while now.....

Don't be a stranger, you are a top bloke.

Half of us have more than one Porsche so we can keep you going on the Sunday drives (p.s. you don't have to go with Macca next time, so you can keep your breakfast).

P.P.S - I have it on good advise and maybe a little experience that braking one's car is a good way to drive others, sofar I have driven Phil's 996TT, John's 964 3.6T, Matt's GT3 and Macca's 993. An expensive way to get the opportunity - but there had to be some upside..........

Old 02-12-2014, 05:06 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I am gutted for you Chris. I hope you are OK. Will be an emotional roller coaster for a while now..... Don't be a stranger, you are a top bloke. Half of us have more than one Porsche so we can keep you going on the Sunday drives (p.s. you don't have to go with Macca next time, so you can keep your breakfast). P.P.S - I have it on good advise and maybe a little experience that braking one's car is a good way to drive others, sofar I have driven Phil's 996TT, John's 96 3.6T, Matt's GT3 and Macca's 993. An expensive way to get the opportunity - but there had to be some upside.......... .
+1 from me
Old 02-12-2014, 05:47 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Its all very sobering for all of us. No doubt it will take a while for Chris to get head around all this but plenty of encouragement and support here.
If my car has been sitting around a while I always put new fluid in for an event. On Targa using all best fluid pads and cooling (ducted) from brand new fluid on day 1 I will find that we will get a softer pedal and more travel hence a brake fluid bleed a least twice over a 5 day event. If 1 day is equivalent to 150km-200km racing (8 stages x 20-25km average) maybe that equals 1 track day . So I would be bleeding brakes every 2 trackdays and complete change every 4 probably. Just normal preventative manintenace
Old 02-12-2014, 06:31 AM
PHG
Racer

Jeez guys
I went away on page 577, come back 13 days later and read till 11.15 to get to 635
This has to be the busiest thread on the web..
to recap..
John, thanks for the wheels, sad to see your post a day or two later saying Z221's are crap..you want a job selling ? I need another talented wordsmith..
Did Donna tell you about wanting to buy my Santa Fe..stick the Euro ****, she said..buy her a good Asian vehicle..
Doug, great pic of Oakura in the storm, I was 30nm north on my boat, hunkered down..The day I threw the lines off in the Viaduct, the winds went Easterly and got worse..still, the wine was good
Awesome you bought Daves air sucker..that is one nice motorcar..looking at the earlier posts, I thought that white Brit import was going to front up.
Macca, you know Steve Burgess, apparently doing a development ala Charlie Brown, on your rock?
I met his old man while imbibing at Tutukaka fishing club..old sailing buddy?
Chris, sad to see your car post brake fade..glad to hear you are good tho' ..ours is a fun theme, but has dangers still .I trust your car will be back on the track sooner than later..
That suspension mod on the black 911 about 20 pages back makes it the best I've seen, since Maccas (old) car..
Hope to get my head out of responsibility soon. what's on the 26th, as have been deleting anything that arrives with connotations of vehicular enjoyment. Definitely keen to do March Uncles, (Paul?) as have these partially worn stickys I want to try out asap..maybe swap with your 993 so I can try one of these old air gaspers myself!
Old 02-12-2014, 06:42 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Jeez guys I went away on page 577, come back 13 days later and read till 11.15 to get to 635 This has to be the busiest thread on the web.. to recap.. John, thanks for the wheels, sad to see your post a day or two later saying Z221's are crap..you want a job selling ? I need another talented wordsmith.. Did Donna tell you about wanting to buy my Santa Fe..stick the Euro ****, she said..buy her a good Asian vehicle.. Doug, great pic of Oakura in the storm, I was 30nm north on my boat, hunkered down..The day I threw the lines off in the Viaduct, the winds went Easterly and got worse..still, the wine was good Awesome you bought Daves air sucker..that is one nice motorcar..looking at the earlier posts, I thought that white Brit import was going to front up. Macca, you know Steve Burgess, apparently doing a development ala Charlie Brown, on your rock? I met his old man while imbibing at Tutukaka fishing club..old sailing buddy? Chris, sad to see your car post brake fade..glad to hear you are good tho' ..ours is a fun theme, but has dangers still .I trust your car will be back on the track sooner than later.. That suspension mod on the black 911 about 20 pages back makes it the best I've seen, since Maccas (old) car.. Hope to get my head out of responsibility soon. what's on the 26th, as have been deleting anything that arrives with connotations of vehicular enjoyment. Definitely keen to do March Uncles, (Paul?) as have these partially worn stickys I want to try out asap..maybe swap with your 993 so I can try one of these old air gaspers myself!
Phil, 26th is twilight. Both RSG and Normal sessions are sold out, but Chris could be a no show in the Normal group so that may lessen his pain if you take that over. That said I'm in the normal group and am not sure I want a 996TT on (crap) Z221s hunting me down. I am getting a new set fitted to the C4 this weekend. They are my favourite tyre bar none. Needless to say I'm out of pocket a lot more than you are and I don't have rims to keep afterwards.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?