Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Doug takes it to the Beach
Old 03-09-2014, 04:46 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Was hoping to 'accidentally' run into you guys today but you were nowhere to be found. Looks like you lost sight of each other as well. On that note for those on the SITT with an iPhone it might be handy to install the Find My Friends app and add each other. I've used it for road trips and snowboarding as a way of avoiding losing mates in tree runs and back roads. Great tool for those that suddenly find themselves somewhere other than planned and wanting to rejoin the group without wanting to make phone calls to those focusing on driving or avoiding cliffs.
Good idea.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:47 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Doug takes it to the Beach Video Link: http://youtu.be/WZJizbXPQUc
Ha ha, thanks John.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:54 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca

Ive always said driving a 911 fast on the road is quite different from driving it on the track. The drive back was fractured by traffic. Unfortunately (or fortunately) yourself, Mike and John werent around for our trip up. We hauled *** on the way up in comparison. Clear roads and some good choices (thanks for the itinerary).

The key I found (at least for me and for the 993) to driving the 911 fast and quickly is to turn in early and keep tight to the apex. On a two lane road you dont have the luxury of spare runway. Its easier to let off some lock than upset the car by tightening lock suddenly when you realise the corner (as is famous in NZ) starts to tighten harder after the apex! Driving the 911 fast is about balance. Dave and I were full on in conversation during our whole drive up (I was trying to keep his mind off the road LOL!) and when you understand the balance of the car you can transition without drama. The last key to that would be LFB and heel/toe. The former Im still learning and the latter is now second nature (although always gets a bit rusty between trips to NZ) but H&T is critical to keeping the car balanced shifting down into a corner. The other little clue to getting it right on the road is always being in the "correct" gear. I use a lower gear top keep the engine in the meat of the torque band as a safety net. As I get more experienced I find myself holding taller gears for longer (I know Paul holds higher gears than I do). Life turning in early the problem with a higher gear is having something left in reserve if/when it goes a bit wrong (you need to power out of a corner etc). the 911 makes fair HP but its no torque miester (infact its weak spot really). Once you get the balance thing nailed you can hold higher gears for longer but you need good flowing roads with decent surfaces. Part of the issue is NZ roads have lots of bumps and uneven surfaces which change surface condition (from slick to chip seal to new chip seal patches etc) constantly...

Just a few ideas for those who want a few ideas on getting the most out of their 911 on the road.

my 0.2c
Macca - I thought you did a good job this morning, fast without being on the limit - much better drive than the one home this avo.

I was holding 3rd or 4th gear most of the time, 3rd under a hundie and would just leave in 4th otherwise - car was sitting on 4-6,000 RPM.
Only advice for 911 driving on open roads in NZ:

NEVER take your foot off the accelerator in a corner

Last edited by kiwi 911; 03-09-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:02 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Zig Zag

What is ahead for you boys headings south, shot up the Crown range Zig Zag this evening to catch the evening light (not to be missed)...
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2014, 05:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Macca - I thought you did a good job this morning, fast without being on the limit - much better drive than the one home this avo.

I was holding 3rd or 4th gear most of the time, 3rd under a hundie and would just leave in 4th otherwise - car was sitting on 4-6,000 RPM.

Only advise for 911 driving on open roads in NZ:

NEVER take your foot off the accelerator in a corner
Thanks Paul. Yes those were my gears and rev ranges too. Got into 2nd only a couple of times in the really tight stuff (25km marked corners!).

If I lived in NZ you and I would get into alot of trouble with our wives going on Sunday sortes!

Good rule, one I forgot to note, but as we should all know by now DONT LIFT OFF (in a corner)
Old 03-09-2014, 05:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokes
What is ahead for you boys headings south, shot up the Crown range Zig Zag this evening to catch the evening light (not to be missed)...
Steve. Thats just fantastic! Reminds me of Europe. Ive heard the Crown Ranges are a "must drive". EVO style! Im really looking forward to the South island and roads. Ive never explored it properly....bring it on!
Old 03-09-2014, 05:29 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokes
Here you go, I bought mine from here http://www.isaydingdong.co.uk/oursho...ticker-65.html

Quality good, looks the same as Macca. The 911_50 is left as a cut out once you peel the back off.

S
What did you enter as a post code - it won't accept mine (1041)
Old 03-09-2014, 05:40 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
What did you enter as a post code - it won't accept mine (1041)
I used the Pay Pal link. My post code is 9371. No issue. Here is pic too.
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2014, 06:24 AM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Nice to hear you got home ok Michael, we turned right because a bunch of sloweys turned left on our planned route and I think we may have lost you there. As I got home I thought of you having another couple of hours run to the Tron. Thanks for coming with us... It was great fun and we created a few memories, eh!

Paul and Macca got impatient following me and hooned off into the distance so that was the last we saw of them. They missed the turn to Peak road, he he. John headed back on SH1 to earn brownie points from picking his wife up from the airport, so the last few miles was just the two red 964s, gary, Dave + I.
You Bastards... there I am , 18th Tee at
Helensville golf course (Peak Rd), game at my mercy, opponent's on the ropes,
and the sound of a number of well used Porsche swells in my ears. Concentration gone, duck hook out of bounds onto the road....(Hope I hit on of u).. and I go from hero to zero..
Thank goodness Paul and Macca had missed it, as the dulcet tones of his old air sucker would have ruined me completely..
Great trip guys..and isn't it great we can all do the trip sitting in our computer rooms
Have an awesome SITT.. very envious
Old 03-09-2014, 07:14 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and another pic from where it all started this morning Auckland side. 2x 993s that constantly dissapeared into the sunset. and 2x 964s keeping up, that spirited fast road driving is a favourite. no need to rev too much and keep the speed down in the straights but enjoy the corners. sorry for my extreme braking for bridges (or which there are many) but I learnt my lesson in a merc I had once when I sheared the bushes after driving onto a bridge too quickly. today also reminded me how incredible the variation of road types in Nz is and how you cape reingians would have seen it all. a shame I couldn't stay for all Te stories but sounded like a real top gear special.

Last edited by Runtothehills; 02-03-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:27 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Doug takes it to the Beach http://youtu.be/WZJizbXPQUc
Awesome John. How about the Kaitaia Slalom?
Old 03-09-2014, 07:51 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

sounds like a very good tune up for SITT. Boys certainly getting into the groove.
I was in Martinborough for the weekend for a wedding very nice too but meant I wasn't monitoring your progress to closely.

Doug want to email me during the week to set up dinner numbers meeting place etc for Monday in welly?
Will pm you and john my mobile no.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:40 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Good idea Jake. I've just installed it and sent you an invite John. Lets see how it works. Not so good when out of range of the network but may have helped today. Edit: So Jake, when did you come through and which route?
This was my trip: https://goo.gl/maps/1rm2p
We arrived in Russell quite late last night, from what I could see on here you guys were well asleep at that point. Drove out to Elliot Bay for a swim this morning, got distracted by the warm water and surf and didn't leave until 12pm. Had lunch in Waipu at around 2pm and would have been on SH16 around 3pm.

Saw this on the way through. Does it belong to one of you? It's on the wrong car if it does...
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...090927-001.jpg

Originally Posted by Macca
I really dont understand why people dont pull over to let us pass at sane speeds - they can see 5 times Porsches on their tail. I also really take exception at people that poodle at 100kmph then decide after they have been overtaken to lift their speed and take pursuit. It makes trying to overtake much more unpredictable than it needs to be....
Both semi 'oh sh*t' moments for me this trip were brought on by absolutely retarded driving by others. Once when a driver of what was either a horse float or house truck (or both) decided that the best approach to the pile of cars behind him would be to drive erratically on SH16 for as long as possible, and another by a lone wolf in a nondescript low power piece of junk who thought he could overtake the 7 cars in front of him, regardless of the fact his car was probably redlining in top gear already.

The more I drive the 911 the more I realize that most people have no understanding of their car's abilities, and have a perception that their car is much more powerful than it is but lack the commitment to actually find out if there's truth to this belief. The number of times I saw people overtaking queues in spongy SUVs on blind corners and trying to push juice boxes up hill in passing lanes only to find themselves running alongside the car next to them right up until one or the other gives in to the impromptu game of parallel chicken. I'm surprised the road toll isn't higher.

Last edited by nzskater; 03-09-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Awesome John. How about the Kaitaia Slalom?
It's on the GoPro, which is where it can stay

In general very disappointed with my footage. Anything filmed through my windscreen is rubbish. The low morning light blasted my pitted windscreen so many times I couldn't get any good sequences worth cutting together. Anything taken outside the car is perfect.

For the rest of the trip I will save the in car for the track and do more free format and suction cup work.

BTW great to share the journey north with you. I'll try and share plenty of pics on the next part of the journey so you can live vicariously from the sofa.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?