Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:42 PM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Bob, Mike, Scott, Matt and any other computer geeks out there:

Can any of you get access to an EPROM programmer and some 27C512 28 DIL chips?

The reason I ask is that I am investigating to possibility of remote live dyno remapping (using Wayne Schofield from 9M / Chip Wizards). He has a son in Wellington and hasn't said no at this stage. Just working through the logistics of what he needs at this end??

Let me know whether you can assist:
Hi Paul
Out of my league I'm sorry, lots of techos in my office but not in that area.....but I think that Mike has probably given good advice in his response unless anyone else out there can help.
Bob
Old 01-12-2014, 07:52 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Talk to Chris - he may enlighten you on a 996T ECU flashing date........

221's should last if new.........

Old 01-12-2014, 07:56 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Sounds great, I'm in.

On that topic, there's another Taupo day coming up on the 11th April: http://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/47...014-11th-April
OMG.....!!

Look at all the kamikaze 'ricer' test pilots in that list - makes Uncles look safe....!!!

Old 01-12-2014, 08:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Talk to Chris - he may enlighten you on a 996T ECU flashing date........ 221's should last if new......... .
Chris was the one that mentioned it. My new used Z221s are about 1/3 used on fronts and 1/2 used on rears. I think they may last if I take the Turbo 3.6 to Cape Reinga, as that takes 1,000 km off the distance.

Rather than take rims down south I can take spare Michelins as a back up.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:16 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

What are the Mich'es like at the track??

How good, bad or ugly compared to 221's??
Old 01-12-2014, 08:19 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

What are the Mich'es like at the track?? How good, bad or ugly compared to 221's??
Felt very progressive. Did 1.23 during the PCNZ regularity trial when my driving skills were less developed than now.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:20 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
Sounds great, I'm in.

On that topic, there's another Taupo day coming up on the 11th April: http://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/47...014-11th-April
OMG.....!!

Look at all the kamikaze 'ricer' test pilots in that list - makes Uncles look safe....!!!

Hillman Avenger vs Gt3... Hmmmm!! As Gary from Playday would say... "Spectator value!"
Old 01-12-2014, 08:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

What are the Mich'es like at the track?? How good, bad or ugly compared to 221's??
Nothing compares to Z221s for me. Quiet on open road and very sticky. Now have 5,000km on mine. About half of that is track days and I'm getting ever lower times.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:23 PM
mjg
Pro

OMG.....!!

It's much more sedate than Uncle's. Every time I've been people have been careful and considerate, no more issues than you'd run into at a PDOT, really.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. I think half worn rear Z221 on the 996TT for the SITT is not feasible. You will need a second set of tyres.

The SITT will be brutal on the cars. Running fast chip seal targa style early morning rally raids plus 4 x tracks (teterongia has the fastest straight in NZ I believe) means anything less than fresh tyres, pads, discs and fluids plus a 3-4 hour mechanical inspection on anything older than 10 years will mean taking spares or excepting that a break down may end your tour early IMO. Not trying to be a scare monger but the 3000km Targa Tour was the closest I came to this and even in the well prepared 993 we still returned to Auckland to find a leaking clutch seal which had caused slippage in the last day. Not to mention rooted front tyres.

Worst of all is things like loosing a window screen on a main state highway road (where it always seems to happen). A 911 window replacement will take you out for the tour. Ask Paul in a few weeks time how much drama is required for replacing the window in an old car.....

The 1000km on the track in summer will be hard on the vehicles and the summer temp on chip seal will also take their toll on the tyres.

Even the guys with new(ish) cars will need to go in with new rubber/pads and a full check over....
Old 01-12-2014, 11:11 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
A 911 window replacement will take you out for the tour. Ask Paul in a few weeks time how much drama is required for replacing the window in an old car.....
My car is still sitting at Conti's waiting for the screen...........

It's different strokes for different folks, but I just want to make it through without breaking anything on the car. I am tempted to get 221's - but this just transfers the stress to other areas of the car like Macca says.

We need to decide if the track days are going to be 'gentlemanly' or whether the red mist will be allowed to set in. Maybe we do the first runs as a train, then agree to go 7/10'ths in a fastest to slowest order with no overtaking and then a 10/10th's on the last runs for those who want it.

I say this, as it sets the tone for the tour, and we need an agreement otherwise the red mist just sets in by default, and those going slower just become a hazard to those going 10/10th's.

Your thoughts??
Old 01-12-2014, 11:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

My car is still sitting at Conti's waiting for the screen........... It's different strokes for different folks, but I just want to make it through without breaking anything on the car. I am tempted to get 221's - but this just transfers the stress to other areas of the car like Macca says. We need to decide if the track days are going to be 'gentlemanly' or whether the red mist will be allowed to set in. Maybe we do the first runs as a train, then agree to go 7/10'ths in a fastest to slowest order with no overtaking and then a 10/10th's on the last runs for those who want it. I say this, as it sets the tone for the tour, and we need an agreement otherwise the red mist just sets in by default, and those going slower just become a hazard to those going 10/10th's. Your thoughts??
Not sure I can be that disciplined. After many meetings of being overtaken the red mist will descend if I see a slow target ahead. Just saying.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah the screen part is easy. its when Dean calls to say that there is some rust in the left and right hand screen sills and that it should be sorted now rather than after a new screen is bonded into place that things get interesting. Of course yours may have been done already which would be nice.

I agree with your sentiment about the tour. No one wants to break their car and for some of us this will happen in any case and we will be forced to take it easy.

In theory your question is a good one and naturally the answer is "gentlemanly". Of course that lasts till the hammer comes down and you fight to overtake someone who is closely matched in speed/skill. Then it becomes a dogfight. The human condition. Im sure we can be strong and be on our best behaviour. As long as it doesnt spoil the fun sounds sensible to me...
Old 01-12-2014, 11:32 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tough one Paul... I'll have road tyres and planning on only pushing 75%-80%. I don't know the tracks, we will only get 5 runs a day, its a 'new to me' car and I don't want to break anything. I think there's a difference between 'pushing' and being 'gentlemanly' though - but they are not mutually exclusive.

I reckon the sensible thing regardless, and given the few runs we will have, is to always run a rough fastest to slowest order. That and the usual rules re overtaking and getting out of the way should suffice. There are only 12 of us but the complete cross section of personalities - and we have to make it work for 4 trackdays.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:36 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Not sure I can be that disciplined. After many meetings of being overtaken the red mist will descend if I see a slow target ahead. Just saying.
I realise that you'll be in the turbo, but have a look at the list of attendees and tell me who your 'slow' target will be...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?