Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 03:51 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't expect any more updates tonight from my two partners in crime... "Go cars not show carsssszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..."

Judging from this mini-trip, it's going to be just as important to look after the drivers as the cars for the SITT.

Looks like it's just me going out to check the Russell nightlife...
Old 03-08-2014, 04:27 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Don't expect any more updates tonight from my two partners in crime... "Go cars not show carsssszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..."

Judging from this mini-trip, it's going to be just as important to look after the drivers as the cars for the SITT.

Representing the Tron massive - you be careful out there!!
Old 03-08-2014, 04:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed

Yip. Its gotta be the hair. And the 20 years age difference. Be careful out there Michael, there are provincial gene pools out there even smaller than you are used too, where there are women who will load your drinks with rohypnol and have their nasty way with you. I was warned about it for Invercargil buts I suspect its rife in Northland too....

I reckon there will be some buggered drivers by the time we get to Queenstown. Sweaty ones too.

John I have a brand new spare standard GoPro "frame" if you need to borrow one for SITT.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:34 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Gotta get better at using multiquote - sorry for the spamming.

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Jason - 9am At Soljan's vineyard out west for departure. Lunch at Waipu deli/cafe - 12.00 table in the name of Doug. Um, 1. black pudding...? 2. Never mix beans & spag.... I'm sure a few more 'full english' rules broken as well! Hey CS - nice new avatar - guessing there is a future direction implied there....?
Hot sauce like Tabasco! I have no doubt rules have been broken.

So, the build ... I've had a number of ideas and it ties into the bigger picture of handling both fun and eventual client/work commuting.

Latest iteration is a 3-series (know a good one for sale?) for the obligatory tasks and an pseudo-replica of a 74 RSR/IROC for fun & track.

Not looking to do a clone or perfection. I want a throughly built 911 (see pic) but still very streetable with a decent cabin.

I may have the option to use my trans and engine in an older shell, with the only creature comforts being heat & A/C via a griffiths system. No power accessories, simplicity is high on the list. Power to weight should be nice.

Will probably be slow going as I want to be heavily involved in doing the physical building of the vehicle. But that's getting ahead of myself - need to keep sleeping on the idea to make sure I keep waking up with the same one. Nevermind the minutiae involved in the options available.

Originally Posted by John McM
Cars parked. Now beer and food at Russell waterfront. 720km so far. If Doug's map is correct we should hit close to 1,000 km when we park up tomorrow afternoon. Learning lots. Have your cars in perfect condition with new pads etc. As for the GoPro. Put a cable tie to it as well as the suction cup. Mine let loose and went over the roof. Bounced on the road in front of Michael and smashed the case and cup, then dented the camera. Unfortunately there must be a buffer memory inside as the card popped and there is no recording of the incident.
Bugger about the camera, John! Would have been a video to watch. Looks like so far you and your car have been taking the brunt since PEL's departure.

I picked up a gopro black still in the box if for some reason you can't find a replacement. Maybe the group should pack an extra one for the SITT.
Attached Images   
Old 03-08-2014, 11:43 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Michael, you back yet? The only women under 50 were in that wedding party. Lucky boy. Remember the old adage "play up, show up"

106 pages in a month. This must be the most active full thread on Rennlist.

Looking forward to catching up with the rest of the RSG crew at Waipu. Looking at our route we have 124km taking 2h20m!!! Might put in the harness this time as it's going to be winding road.

So far I've spent a lot of time watching Lola's butt carving the corners up. Reminds me of watching footage of my old squadron's Heinemann Bombers going through the mountain passes
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2014, 01:51 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Does Lola's butt look good John?
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:01 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Only two issues for me from the SITT shakedown. The suspension is fine at speed, the faster the better too :-P But slower and on poorer b roads its a real bone shaker. So i definitely need to soften off the suspension. The challenge there is that it looks like i need to remove the heater blower fan unit and half of the air filter to be able to reach the tops of the adjustable rear struts. Going to get a blower motor delete pipe but only 5 days so it depends if Steve has one in stock. Does anyone know if you can reach the tops of the rear struts from below with the car on a hoist? Second problem is I've had 5 years of back problems which i've fixed over the last 18 months with daily gym work. But there's no lumbar support in my standard comfort seats. Looking to upgrade in a hurry to sports seats if Razzo has some at a suitable price or get one of these www.morfit.co.nz

Edit: Yeah, so the car is fine, it's the driver that can't handle it.... caugh :-)
Old 03-08-2014, 02:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Would Macca approve?
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice work guys.

John. Handy ducktape skills. Looks like your extension lead may be a tad short. ideally getting it in above the license plate where its protected by the bumper aperture is the goal.

Drizzle down here this morning supposedly clearing around lunch time.

Doug. Definitely need to soften up those shocks and I think that lumber devise is a good interim measure. Coming from a boxster makes it tough...

C you today
Old 03-08-2014, 03:25 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Would Macca approve?
Can't wait to read what he thinks ... Look at that dirty, dirty Herman! You have clearly been having fun!
Old 03-08-2014, 03:58 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Jake, breakfast on Russell waterfront at 7:30 am. Leaving at ~ 8:30 am
Had aspirations of catching up but no chance of getting away that early! You guys are keen. Won't that put you in Waipu an hour or so earlier than the others?
Old 03-08-2014, 04:23 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Had aspirations of catching up but no chance of getting away that early! You guys are keen. Won't that put you in Waipu an hour or so earlier than the others?
No because we are stopping every 15 minutes
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2014, 04:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Doug's deck
Attached Images   
Old 03-08-2014, 04:58 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

So where's the photos of the rendezvous crew setting out?? Did Paul get out of bed on time?
Old 03-08-2014, 05:24 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Doug's deck
Right guys. When all the current activities are done we need a boys weekend up here to smash these great roads

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?