Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:26 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

One less Turbo 3.6 in NZ.

Originally Posted by turbo 3.6
Hi Guys, Just thought i should update this thread. My turbo 3.6 has now been sold. A lovely couple came out specially to view from Bangkok and took the car away on Friday. It will be heading to Bangkok after a 2 year stay in the UK. When it drove out the drive it was like saying goodbye (for ever) to one of the kids.
I suspect this is the future for cars collectible worldwide. Wait until the Brits start searching out rust free 964s!
Old 01-28-2014, 01:39 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its a bloody expensive hobby John!

I got a quote today for insurance for the GT3. Sobering. Three times the cost of the 993, pretty much directly in line with the $$$ of insurance cover. Im not sure why I am so surprised. Probably because Ive never insured anything as expense on wheels!

Got into a bit of mental planning for the Targa Tour today. Infact got a bit carried away and spent half the day on it reving my notes from 2012 event. Im figuring 12K for a car with driver + navigator for 10 days in SI, entry, tyres, accommodation, food, fuel and ferry. Entry fee is 1/3 that total. I figured Fuel from WTGN return with oil and wash fluids is $1300 in a 964/993 (7km litre average - 98 RON), accommodation and food for 2 being $3500 for 10 days. Ferry $375 return. Tyres $2000 and detailed pre Targa service inspection with replacement fluids and pads around $2K all up. Leaves $500 for The Auckland to WTGN leg for fuel/accommodation. There will around $1500 for initial entrants to fit Monit+Trackit+FE and after the last one Id budget similar post prep budget to pre including any cosmetic rectification. Overall things could swing $1500 cheaper depending how lucky you (your car) is....

I can hand on heart say that to this very day the 5 day Targa Tour NZ 2012 was the biggest accomplishment and achievement I've had my "car hobby" to date. It provided the biggest thrills Ive ever had in a car, I drove the closest Ive driven to "the edge" and I felt the biggest elation Ive ever felt for us to finish (in one piece) and the old girl (for keeping up with the younger metal and not letting the side down). I also learnt the most Ive ever learnt about driving my 993, about my own strengths and weakness as a driver and about working as a team. Ive never been as excited, exhausted, relieved nor proud as when I finished that event. Proud of the car too. And my wife!

To put this into perspective Ive driven the Ring (another boyhood fantasy), picked up a new GT3 from teh factory and travelled around Europe Targa staging some of Europes most scenic and challenging roads, and had numerous track and road adventures over 15 years in a variety if 911s Ive previously owned.

I know none of this fits in these discussion particularly well (and Ilk replicate on the other thread for those doing the Targa Tour) but if you are in any question (other than fiscal) about your attendance then dont be and if you have fiscal concern then I suggest you start marketing a Kidney...NOW!
Old 01-28-2014, 01:44 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
First cut of the 'fast' session. Long, but a bit of everything. Matt's power pass down the main straight (looking a bit tail light under braking there Matt - not a good place to step out). I will look at the other session footage tonight. Video Link: http://youtu.be/BISBAiO9sXA
Hilarious listening to the radio John. Was it on to calm the nerves, give background to the video, or just because you can in the turbo?

Originally Posted by mjg
At least that looked how it felt... very bumpy (worse than the outside line) and holding on to the wheel tighter than necessary probably causes unnecessary steering input. From a couple of other angles: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2b6_sPDvoM">YouTube Link</a> <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R4aIcap-ws">YouTube Link</a> Pretty sure you can hear my tyres chirp there...
Eek indeed, I didn't run that part of the track (lack of overtaking opportunities/power) but I had a similar "loose" experience near the apex on that sweeper on one of the last runs with Richard up my backside in Ron's turbo. I was pushing too hard because he was there and I didn't slow enough OR I hit some of John's coolant.

CCS have diagnosed my problem as a metal coolant connector being blown out of the engine block. The fitting is particular to the Turbo, but GT3s have a similar fitting. It will be re-bonded, tested and hopefully back on the road very soon.
Great that no serious engine damage resulted from all that steam we could see bellowing out of the engine bay. Big relief.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:44 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Do we have to market our own kidney or will anyone's do?
Old 01-28-2014, 02:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John, if you have children over 15 years of age I would suggest their Kidneys to be more valuable than your own!

You should join us John. The C4 is up to it.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

One less Turbo 3.6 in NZ.

I suspect this is the future for cars collectible worldwide. Wait until the Brits start searching out rust free 964s!
Finally. Im glad he found his buyer.

These stories sadden me.

Last night Im put down January Porsche 911 World after reading it and Jo picked it up and flicked through the classifieds. She asked why there wasn't one single 993 in the for sale section. I had a look. Zero, Maybe 3-4 x 964 and that is all. She asked what that meant. All it means to me is they are becoming trophies. One day they will become too valuable or irreplaceable to drive like we do now, have fun on Track and road, Targa, modify and play, backdate and fettle, personalise and individualise....
Old 01-28-2014, 02:42 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Finally. Im glad he found his buyer. These stories sadden me. Last night Im put down January Porsche 911 World after reading it and Jo picked it up and flicked through the classifieds. She asked why there wasn't one single 993 in the for sale section. I had a look. Zero, Maybe 3-4 x 964 and that is all. She asked what that meant. All it means to me is they are becoming trophies. One day they will become too valuable or irreplaceable to drive like we do now, have fun on Track and road, Targa, modify and play, backdate and fettle, personalise and individualise....
While sat on my butt outside CCS yesterday I suddenly heard some gardening noises. I turned around to see an old guy trimming his hedge. The house was last painted in the 60s and sits right next to the CCS entrance. Never noticed it before. Must be worth a lot as a vacant lot, but I'm guessing the owner couldn't care less as it was likely paid off 50+ years ago. I'm the same with the Turbo 3.6. Paid in cash 12+ years ago and it has a different value to me than the later purchases.....until I have a better use for the money.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John, if you have children over 15 years of age I would suggest their Kidneys to be more valuable than your own! You should join us John. The C4 is up to it.
Outside my budget. Doing a major addition on the house and I don't need focus on the car expenses post SITT.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Its not the same.

Your 3.6T has already become the Garage Queen I speak of!

Im talking about the cars we are throwing around the track and roads of New Zealand. The cars that are still "fulfilling the vision of their creator".

And its not about the money. I just paid cash for a new GT3 and drove the clappers out of it often uninsured in Europe winter on R compound tyres. Its calculated risk. The car is replaceable.

But that nagging feeling is stronger when you do these things with something you cant even replace. Sure, you have a cheque in your hand (for half what it probably owes you in reality). But you cant rock up to a dealer and order another 993. If I biffed my 993 beyond repair I wouldn't even attempt to try and buy another 993. There simply isnt another one that I would consider in NZ. Probably beat a path with Pete to that Cayman R....

Honestly why dont you use your 964T like you do your C4 and 996TT (given those two together owe you more than the market value of the 964T today)? Is it because its irreplaceable, too valuable or too scary? Its not because you have other choices as you created those choices to do the driving Im talking about after the 964T was on the scene. You had a reason tho.

Im being philosophical naturally. I just get a bit sad when I hear everyone get excited about these old cars going through the roof. Id rather they were plentiful and cheap. I never bought a 993 as an investment (it was a depreciating "asset" at the time). I bought it to drive and enjoy without worry.

Cant change progress. Just commenting on the flip side of rampantly rising classic car valuations.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:53 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John. Its not the same. Your 3.6T has already become the Garage Queen I speak of! Honestly why dont you use your 964T like you do your C4 and 996TT (given those two together owe you more than the market value of the 964T today)? Is it because its irreplaceable, too valuable or too scary? Its not because you have other choices as you created those choices to do the driving Im talking about after the 964T was on the scene. You had a reason tho.
Like most things it's not a single factor. I bought the 996TT as my DD, because it's easier to go around the Bays in rush hour with a tip. Then I went to Playday and realised I wanted a track car.

I expected to be tripping around the country on my return from Asia, but I rarely drive past HD. Flying is easier, which is why the Cape Reinga/Bluff trip is a big deal for me. Basically I don't have enough road time to do much in any of the cars. The C4 has done more than the other two combined in the last 6 months.

The Turbo 3.6 is getting a bit of attention, but with 4 in the family it doesn't get a look in unless we take two cars. Why don't I sell it? I'm not a seller by nature. Someone offered good money for my Patek, sold. Anything else is hoarded. Soon I'll be entering the 'Christofle' years..all the dinner party stuff you store for a good day will be used on a daily basis, including the Turbo 3.6. A glorious retirement.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:37 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I expected to be tripping around the country on my return from Asia, but I rarely drive past HD. Flying is easier, which is why the Cape Reinga/Bluff trip is a big deal for me. Basically I don't have enough road time to do much in any of the cars. The C4 has done more than the other two combined in the last 6 months. The Turbo 3.6 is getting a bit of attention, but with 4 in the family it doesn't get a look in unless we take two cars. Why don't I sell it? I'm not a seller by nature. Someone offered good money for my Patek, sold. Anything else is hoarded. Soon I'll be entering the 'Christofle' years..all the dinner party stuff you store for a good day will be used on a daily basis, including the Turbo 3.6. A glorious retirement.
Sitting in Johns '64t on Saturday allowed me to appreciate what a nice machine it is. The finish inside is simple and quality black leather all over. Really lovely deep rich leather. Not the thin crap like my Boxster has. Understated and lovely to live with. Then there's the sexy curves of the turbo shape on the outside. The design is elegant, practical and sexy. I can see why you'd never sell that car and saviour it forever John. And there will be a time post track days when you'll just want to cruise in the t.

John and others, if you're not up for Targa this year (and I don't know if I have the budget for it), and you don't get enough road time, how about creating a new family traditional annual road trip.....

I have. Now, every Easter we take 8 days off and get the week either side of Easter for a long NZ road trip. This Easter will be our third. In 2012 it was the South Island the long way around. 5,000 km of cruising with the roof down. Not fast, just 100kph so you can take in the scenery, smell the plants, cows, silage, forest, hear the birds, waterfalls and the sound of the exhaust. Windows down and sunroof open would give similar impact. Both Jan and I loved it. Visited many places for the first time in tens of years, some for the first time ever. Now we have her sister and husband joining us each Easter on their large BMW bike for another adventure. This year it was I think about 3,500km. Auckland to Masterton where we met up (they're from Dunedin), a day trip to Castle Point. On to Havlock North, then around the East Cape (the original intention of the trip) via Ohope, the Cape, Gisborne, Napier and then home (the long way over the Gentle Annie and via Taihape). We avoid state highways where practical and always take the long way.

This year we are meeting in Wellington (the wives fly in while the boys drive to Wellington from each end of the country), then we cruise up the entire west coast of the North Island visiting many places we haven't been to and spend the second half of the trip exploring the far north. It will be my second trip to Cape Reinga in as many months! But do I care? It is so worth it.

Now that this is our third I don't see it stopping... I love our country and are continually surprised at its beauty and uncrowded B roads with their back country rural NZ scenery and small communities along the way.

Last December was our 30th anniversary and we drove down to puka park lodge at Pauanui where we hadn't stayed for 20+ years. While it wasn't the intention we drove down to Tauranga discovering the very nice B road from Pauanui to Whangamata which I've never been on before. Then a run north on another day up the Eastern Coromandel which we hadn't driven for about 15 years. It was all very pleasant exploring country that is no longer very familiar.

So, how about creating your own family traditional epic road trip each year. At worst you can make it a long weekend. It's right here on our doorstep. And doing this is cheap.

We could even create an annual RSG mega road trip.... Like the weekend Cape Reinga run in early March (details on the RSG site, anyone with a p-car is welcome to come along).

And to think this was going to be a short post.... But it's turned into a "Macca" size post :-P

Your thoughts????
Old 01-28-2014, 04:44 AM
O2GO
Drifting

East Cape http://www.hanna.net.nz/2013/04/nz-r...wairarapa.html

South Island http://www.hanna.net.nz/2012/04/232-...ound-2012.html
Old 01-28-2014, 04:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Sitting in Johns '64t on Saturday allowed me to appreciate what a nice machine it is. The finish inside is simple and quality black leather all over. Really lovely deep rich leather. Not the thin crap like my Boxster has. Understated and lovely to live with. Then there's the sexy curves of the turbo shape on the outside. The design is elegant, practical and sexy. I can see why you'd never sell that car and saviour it forever John. And there will be a time post track days when you'll just want to cruise in the t. John and others, if you're not up for Targa this year (and I don't know if I have the budget for it), and you don't get enough road time, how about creating a new family traditional annual road trip..... I have. Now, every Easter we take 8 days off and get the week either side of Easter for a long NZ road trip. This Easter will be our third. In 2012 it was the South Island the long way around. 5,000 km of cruising with the roof down. Not fast, just 100kph so you can take in the scenery, smell the plants, cows, silage, forest, hear the birds, waterfalls and the sound of the exhaust. Windows down and sunroof open would give similar impact. Both Jan and I loved it. Visited many places for the first time in tens of years, some for the first time ever. Now we have her sister and husband joining us each Easter on their large BMW bike for another adventure. This year it was I think about 3,500km. Auckland to Masterton where we met up (they're from Dunedin), a day trip to Castle Point. On to Havlock North, then around the East Cape (the original intention of the trip) via Ohope, the Cape, Gisborne, Napier and then home (the long way over the Gentle Annie and via Taihape). We avoid state highways where practical and always take the long way. This year we are meeting in Wellington (the wives fly in while the boys drive to Wellington from each end of the country), then we cruise up the entire west coast of the North Island visiting many places we haven't been to and spend the second half of the trip exploring the far north. It will be my second trip to Cape Reinga in as many months! But do I care? It is so worth it. Now that this is our third I don't see it stopping... I love our country and are continually surprised at its beauty and uncrowded B roads with their back country rural NZ scenery and small communities along the way. Last December was our 30th anniversary and we drove down to puka park lodge at Pauanui where we hadn't stayed for 20+ years. While it wasn't the intention we drove down to Tauranga discovering the very nice B road from Pauanui to Whangamata which I've never been on before. Then a run north on another day up the Eastern Coromandel which we hadn't driven for about 15 years. It was all very pleasant exploring country that is no longer very familiar. So, how about creating your own family traditional epic road trip each year. At worst you can make it a long weekend. It's right here on our doorstep. And doing this is cheap. We could even create an annual RSG mega road trip.... Like the weekend Cape Reinga run in early March (details on the RSG site, anyone with a p-car is welcome to come along). And to think this was going to be a short post.... But it's turned into a "Macca" size post :-P Your thoughts????
Don't get me wrong, I like road trips. Let's see what works on the pre SITT and SITT runs. I like 'man' travel. Not too much organisation, it all just works.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:03 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Don't get me wrong, I like road trips. Let's see what works on the pre SITT and SITT runs. I like 'man' travel. Not too much organisation, it all just works.
Great, I did get onto my hobbie horse, can't stop once I get going. The Cape Reinga trip will be a nice taster as will the epic SITT.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:10 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Great, I did get onto my hobbie horse, can't stop once I get going. The Cape Reinga trip will be a nice taster as will the epic SITT.
And we get the 'full' T Shirt!

Just went slightly mad on eBay and Design 911. What turns up on 7 March will be even more modified.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?