Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Less obvious huh.... like with racing name/numbers and a primary bypasss
You forgot the harness. I'm a bit p'd off. I want to use it throughout the trip, but now I'm told its illegal to use them on the open road.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:21 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug and others. My understanding (and please correct me if Im wrong) is that Ron has created a small group of 3-4 cars and already booked his accommodation. he seemed a little resistant to 4-5 of us joining them (I know Ron well enough and I know he doesn't like big groups). I recall Ron was happy to share his route but suggested we run as a separate group (i.e. timing wise and perhaps accommodation). Just for point of clarity that is all. At this stage I believe he has sahred with you his accommodation points but not the exact route although I could be wrong as I haven't been on RSG board in depth for a long while. A few days ago you were talking doing a new route to cover East Cape etc. I think at this stage we risk becoming quite fragmented. My thoughts are that yourself and John might want to consider a route based loosely around Rons with the Cape R and E Cape and Hass pass pieces added in and perhaps myself and Matt should siddle up to Ron to join his group? Just a thought but otherwise its not really a group tour. Not sure how John, Matt and Chris feel. My wife isn't sitting in the car for 9 hours and my car is 20 years old so Im going to take the conservative approach at this stage and opt for the most sensible distance route down and conserve my resources for the race track.
Macca, you are right on most counts. Ron offered for us to join his group for the NI part and I suggested (to not make the group large) that we run in two small groups - his and ours. We depart together and maybe meet up from time to time and he was happy with that. He would be preparing route notes/instructions anyway and was happy to share them with us. He seemed quite happy with that plan. He hadn't sorted out his routes in detail at that stage (a few months ago) only their accommodation.myou can find his offer on the RSG board.

Ron's group are booked into accommodation at Havlock North. I haven't enquiries direct whether there are extra rooms available, hence the suggestion we try the Masonic in Napier for the Art Deco experience. Haven't had feedback on that yet.

So, John and I are back with the original Ron North Island plan now. We are doing the Cape Reinga part in advance of the tour and abandoned the East Cape idea. Too far.

The South Island part wasn't part of the deal with Ron and we were following my West Coast route all the way to Queenstown. They are staying at Punukaiki. There's a nice resort there. We are staying at Franz Joseph. There aren't many B road choices in the SI, almost none on the west coast anyway. It is far more scarcely populated.

Others reading this, last night I posted a three southern alps pass option for the Nelson to Franz Joseph leg over on the RSG board for the west coast route to gauge the interest. Anyone travelling with their wife should not consider it IMO. I think Macca is the only one travelling down with his wife at this stage although I might be wrong.

If you really want to see the South Island I recommend it but it is not for the feint hearted (being a long 9 hour day vs 5.5, ie extra 3.5 hours of sweet SI scenery). I suspect most in older cars or travelling with their wives may want to avoid it and stick to the direct route.

Steve joins us in Wellington, (Steve car TBC, wife TBC (she may fly to Qtn)

For the West Coast route we have:
Doug, John, Macca, Paul, Matt, Chris, Steve.

Pete and Chris freight cars to Chch and fly in, driving through Arthur's pass and meeting us in FJ for the last leg to queenstown.

We have not yet booked Nelson, hawkers bay or Wellington accommodation. Everything else is booked.

Chris, in our planning spreadsheet we have you driving to Wellington and freighting your car to Chch. Ha, that would all be tricky. Can you confirm which option you are taking if you've decided? You were chatting with Pete about freight so assume that's possibly your plan.

Macca, very happy to get input. I'm floating some of these ideas for feedback. To keep miles down, go direct to Wellington and avoid the much longer Ron route - no way you'll miss out on that I know :-)

Happy for you to liaise with Ron if you like, might be best given you know each other well and I'm just the new boy on the block??

Others thoughts/ideas/feedback?
Old 01-03-2014, 03:45 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
You forgot the harness. I'm a bit p'd off. I want to use it throughout the trip, but now I'm told its illegal to use them on the open road.
Which seems odd. I guess unless its had an authority card inspection there is no certification that its been done right (although of course it has.)
Old 01-03-2014, 03:49 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Which seems odd. I guess unless its had an authority card inspection there is no certification that its been done right (although of course it has.)
Odd indeed. You could always throw the inferior safety belt on under or over the harness to be sure?
Old 01-03-2014, 03:52 PM
O2GO
Drifting

I find big groups tiring. Just as happy, if not happier to run in a group of 2 or 3. We can be more flexible that way, and less obvious to the fuzz as well.
I agree with John. We found this better on the recent northern run too, even though doing the same route we broke into groups of 3-4. 2-3 is best IMO.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:54 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
For the West Coast route we have:
Doug, John, Macca, Paul, Matt, Chris, Steve.

Pete and Chris freight cars to Chch and fly in, driving through Arthur's pass and meeting us in FJ for the last leg to queenstown.

We have not yet booked Nelson, hawkers bay or Wellington accommodation. Everything else is booked.

Chris, in our planning spreadsheet we have you driving to Wellington and freighting your car to Chch. Ha, that would all be tricky. Can you confirm which option you are taking if you've decided? You were chatting with Pete about freight so assume that's possibly your plan.

Others thoughts/ideas/feedback?
A few corrections here Doug...

Its Paul and I freighting cars from Akl to Chch (not Chris).

There are 6 of you doing the run from Welly to FJ (not Paul - as he is going through Arthurs Pass with me.)

Chris will confirm but pretty sure he is with you from Welly onwards (not freighting between Welly and Chch).

For freighting we have just 2 down (Paul and I) and return we have 4 (Paul, John Chris and I - with Chris's being dropped off at Pirongia).
Old 01-03-2014, 03:55 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Less obvious huh.... like with racing name/numbers and a primary bypasss
LOL. I'll still run with you John. I hope one day to have a car that attracts looks as much as your does :-)

Pete, sad day when you change out your aviator from air cooled to water cooled. Looks nice though and I hope it's here in time for the SITT. That's the plan to take the hot red Cayman S, if it is ready, right?
Old 01-03-2014, 04:26 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Pete, sad day when you change out your aviator from air cooled to water cooled. Looks nice though and I hope it's here in time for the SITT. That's the plan to take the hot red Cayman S, if it is ready, right?
That's the plan - weather is delaying shipments out of UK but current departure is still scheduled to depart on the 11th - due Akl late Feb. 3 week window to land, comply and ship to Chch.... Back up plan if I miss the shipment to Chch is driving with you lot - back up plan if I miss that is a rental car....

I'm e-mailing you an updated spreadsheet for your dropbox - have highlighted all changes in red and in sharing mode.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

As I read the motorsport regs, it would require an authority card to use on the road with a harness..
Old 01-03-2014, 04:56 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

As I read the motorsport regs, it would require an authority card to use on the road with a harness..
Correct - that's what I have for the 944.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:06 PM
mikee6421
Track Day

Just to make sure I've got this right. We have Chris, Macca, Paul, Peter, Scott and myself on Sunday? I gather we won't have much demand for salad, just carnivore types?

11:30am until we're talked out. Chris has the address and the rest of you have been there before. See you all then.
If its not too late and you still have room I'd like to come along?
Old 01-03-2014, 05:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikee6421
If its not too late and you still have room I'd like to come along?
Mike, plenty of room at the inn. See you tomorrow at 11:30. BTW I take no responsibility for anything Macca may talk you in to re mods
Old 01-03-2014, 07:29 PM
mikee6421
Track Day

Mike, plenty of room at the inn. See you tomorrow at 11:30. BTW I take no responsibility for anything Macca may talk you in to re mods
Thanks very much. I'll bring some garlic bread, pizza and beer. Re suggested mods, my CFO will take a keen interest...see you all tomorrow (geez I'll have to get up early for a change..)
Old 01-03-2014, 11:05 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For those of you who buy tires overseas, can you give me the details, as 993 tire sizes very limited in NZ......

Cheers
PM
Old 01-03-2014, 11:25 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
For those of you who buy tires overseas, can you give me the details, as 993 tire sizes very limited in NZ......

Cheers
PM
Assuming you want hi-po street tires? Perhaps try the RS3 Hankook locally through the club- might be able to get a better price than importing something similar?

I went through the rigmorale with Tirerack looking at all the new Dunlops, Michelins and Bridgeys when I was after a Targa Tour tire and it didn't really work out that great by the time you get hit with GST and freight. Others might have a different opinion but for the sizes (18s) I was after I just ended up going for Hankook again.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?