Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:56 PM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys

Just in case any of you are interested in this annual LA event check this out:

http://www.lalitandtoyshow.com/

Especially the Related Events tab which has articles on the 12+ restoration shops that open their doors for the event.

Cheers
Bob
Old 01-05-2014, 10:57 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Stance was nicer back then too
:
hummm (grumble grumble)...........

Macca - give me back my suspension........
Old 01-05-2014, 11:01 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 356Downunder
Hi Guys

Just in case any of you are interested in this annual LA event check this out:

http://www.lalitandtoyshow.com/

Especially the Related Events tab which has articles on the 12+ restoration shops that open their doors for the event.

Cheers
Bob
Jeez Dave B - better book your ticket now mate!

Nice link Bob - doing those open houses would be an epic tour. Maybe file this one away for a future trip.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:07 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Stunning photos Doug, you really capture the essence of driving in NZ and really take full benefit of owning a boxter (top down motoring), I was lucky enough to drive a 2.7 2007 boxter about 2 weeks ago on behalf of the guy who sold me my 993, and man.........what a fab little car to drive. I actually quite liked the 2.7 as you had to 'peddle it' to make the car work, and it was very enjoyable......... Some of us are back at work full time today :-(
I really liked my old 2.7 for the same reason, you really had to work it and got to enjoy squeezing the acceleration out of it. It's lack of power frustrated me at the track but I think I prefer the 5 sped box it had to the 6 speed on the S. Ratios a little better on the track. Tough that you're back at work today. At least you have Saturday at HD to look forward too!?
Originally Posted by Macca
Doug. Great pics and vid mate. Awesome weather and perfect roads for a boxster this time of year! Regards the spyder. If what they are saying about slow sales is true then its an even bigger support for rising future values. I think they are about as close to a sure thing as you will get so far in terms of future residuals for the boxster/cayman range to date since launch in 1996. The next best bet is the CaymanR. I know a guy in the UK and one in the states that track these and have shaved around 50kg off them (just with seats and wheels) but a half cage in with a harness and some track rubber and again are capable of scaring stock 996 GT3s on the track. Very capable and well balanced. My gut feel is they will make a 981 Cayman R for sure (it was a success) and I reckon a spyder too. It will recover that 45kg of growth fat, lower COG, small engine tweak and maybe improved software from the 991 GT3 for the electronic steering (a huge improvement from what he journos tell me - I had nothing to compare it too other than the 993, and compared to an early aircooled hydraulic rack 911 it definitely had less feedback and feel). IMO if you are going to treat yourself you should consider buying a brand new 981 CaymanR or Spyder from the factory as I did, driving it in Europe for a month or two, shipping it home and you will still not be out of pocket even considering a 40K trip, plus major bucket list tick and childhood dream. Something like a new Spyder or cayman R will not depreciate so quickly, so for 150K Kiwi you get a European trip of a lifetime and a car that may be worth 100K in 5 years time but has given you thrills at track, touring and backroads for many 10s x 1000 km and has huge sentimental merit and strong residuals. You really cant beat their roads as the guys will attest seeing some of the vids yesterday, plus they have a very lax view of speed (didnt see a traffic cop on the whole trip) and on the autostrada and autobahn you are free to roam at speed without impunity (unless conditions or road works persist). Just an idea, its how my idea started, you can spend 120K on a decent 964 hotrod revival or you can drive your pants off with your loved one in the hills above Nice and Rapello for a month or two and still get all the NZ driving you want done with the car. Theres nothing I wouldnt do again other than if I were picky asking for it to have been warmer and longer!
I agree with the investment/residual values. However, it also has to be the car I drive every day, so I have to live with it too. Not being able to fully shut windows in the winter rain doesn't appeal much. Pity they don't have a hard top version for winter. Apart from the roof and our climate the spider is a beautiful machine. Regarding buying new and travelling Europe, I've been pondering the same. My plan this year was to but a 2-3 year old 987.2S in the UK and travel for a month with Jan as you have done. But Jan struggled to get the time off to go away for that long and I found almost the car I wanted as a nz new for the right price, so that allowed us to delay it 1-3 years. I fell onto a RL thread in the last 48 hours which talked all about how to spec your leather colours on 981/991 correctly and other various options available. You even got a mention for your pics of the blue 991 GT3 you posted pics of by the author Z356. Anyway, I spent hours in 2013 on the uk 981 Configurator before buying my nz 987S. The idea of being able to spec the car exactly as you'd like it has a lot of appeal.... So does the amazing trip that you've just done. Thankfully I'll probably have a couple of years to think about it until these models hit the market.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:23 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Hi RSG SITT (South Island Track Tour) participants..........
I've posted another option for the Nelson - Franz Joseph Leg of the SITT over on the RSG site. Would really appreciate feedback. Ron and Macca have commented on my last suggestions which has led to this new post with options.

If you can put the feedback on the RSG forum that would be brilliant so we can keep the conversation all together there.

http://www.rennsportgruppe.org.nz/fo...hp?topic=18.75

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-06-2014, 06:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
My plan this year was to but a 2-3 year old 987.2S in the UK and travel for a month with Jan as you have done. But Jan struggled to get the time off to go away for that long and I found almost the car I wanted as a nz new for the right price, so that allowed us to delay it 1-3 years. I fell onto a RL thread in the last 48 hours which talked all about how to spec your leather colours on 981/991 correctly and other various options available. You even got a mention for your pics of the blue 991 GT3 you posted pics of by the author Z356. Anyway, I spent hours in 2013 on the uk 981 Configurator before buying my nz 987S. The idea of being able to spec the car exactly as you'd like it has a lot of appeal.... So does the amazing trip that you've just done. Thankfully I'll probably have a couple of years to think about it until these models hit the market.
Sorry Doug. I assumed you drove he Cayenne to work and used the boxster as a weekend toy. My bad. yes the roof could be trying. Maybe it will be less compromised on the 981 version if it happen.

If you decide to do it then as soon as you hear the rumpurs there will be one contact me privately and I will put you in touch with my guy who can get you on early order VAT/tax free and do all registration and insurance allowing you to drive it in Europe for 12 months. Im sorely tempted to leave mine there for another European tour in summer but time and funds this year will not allow with SITT, NITT & SI Targa!

There is definitely something special about being able to order your own car with your own spec and being the first owner. If I keep the 991 GT3 it will add huge appeal to me as Ive given up a while ago flipping stuff for flippings sake and now like to have a strong emotional bond with my few material possessions. Ordering your own limited run Spyder, spending 6 weeks in Europe in spring driving famous roads and shipping it to NZ will mean that you probably will find it very hard to part with in the future....
Old 01-06-2014, 01:29 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Sorry Doug. I assumed you drove he Cayenne to work and used the boxster as a weekend toy. My bad. yes the roof could be trying. Maybe it will be less compromised on the 981 version if it happen. If you decide to do it then as soon as you hear the rumpurs there will be one contact me privately and I will put you in touch with my guy who can get you on early order VAT/tax free and do all registration and insurance allowing you to drive it in Europe for 12 months. Im sorely tempted to leave mine there for another European tour in summer but time and funds this year will not allow with SITT, NITT & SI Targa! There is definitely something special about being able to order your own car with your own spec and being the first owner. If I keep the 991 GT3 it will add huge appeal to me as Ive given up a while ago flipping stuff for flippings sake and now like to have a strong emotional bond with my few material possessions. Ordering your own limited run Spyder, spending 6 weeks in Europe in spring driving famous roads and shipping it to NZ will mean that you probably will find it very hard to part with in the future....
Hey thanks so much for the advice and offer Macca. I got in touch with Porsche West London last year to enquire about buying a new 981S and they weren't allowed to sell to me so your contact/process is invaluable.

I assume once your order is in pre-production you get time once they near production to go through the options/personalisation process. That process and then owning it from new has tremendous appral.

Yep I drive my Boxster every single day and love it that way. The Cayenne is insured for 5k kms pa and lives in the garage under a cover waiting for the odd time there's more than two traveling, big packages to move and trailer work. It was my DD for a few years sucking 19 liters per 100k around town. However its good on the highway at 11-12.5 l/100km.

You dont own a p-car for economy. I like Magnus Walker's saying "smiles per gallon".

I like having an emotional attachment which to the vehicle like you say, comes from memorable traveling experiences with the machine and long term ownership.

A European tour would be amazing.

Safe travels home and I hope business is all in one piece on your return.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:17 PM
Garry D
Instructor

Hi Guys , just putting it out there , I am on the look out for a pre 1974 911 , I will consider any model or condition , thanks for any help .
Old 01-06-2014, 06:23 PM
O2GO
Drifting

This dude's Porsche collection is insane. Looks like a wealthy Arab to me given the language used in comments. Nice of him to share his collection publicly. http://instagram.com/porsche_collector
Old 01-06-2014, 06:29 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Ok, so we've followed Macca's amazing trip in Europe. How about we all drop a post about our local drives we did over the holidays. It would be nice to see what each of us are doing with actually DRIVING our awesome cars.

You've seen a couple of mine. What have you been up to?
Old 01-06-2014, 06:40 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll start, as it's shortest.

Yesterday my 964 travelled from Pickfords via a bio-secure covered hauler to an undisclosed MAF facility to be steam cleaned. Seems they found a dead grasshopper or bug remains mashed up on the A/C condenser.

I'm a huge proponent of biosecurity here, even if I feel a bit like the scene below. Anyone guess the movie?

Here's to more exciting drives, soon!
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2014, 06:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Garry D
Hi Guys , just putting it out there , I am on the look out for a pre 1974 911 , I will consider any model or condition , thanks for any help .
Garry, I came back from Indonesia last year with a brief to pick up a reasonably priced long hood for a colleague there. In February I went back to him saying it would be a long and expensive search. Those that have them 'get them' and aren't selling unless someone comes up with silly money, even then it just seems to remind them how much they are in demand and then decline to sell.

I suggest you look for a car out of the US. A bigger selection to buy from and a bigger eventual market when you sell. Locally, Dean Huston is rebuilding a 911T from tub up. You could try to wrest it off him, but I don't think he's a seller. Otherwise talk to Steve at Europacific. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
I'll start, as it's shortest. Yesterday my 964 travelled from Pickfords via a bio-secure covered hauler to an undisclosed MAF facility to be steam cleaned. Seems they found a dead grasshopper or bug remains mashed up on the A/C condenser. I'm a huge proponent of biosecurity here, even if I feel a bit like the scene below. Anyone guess the movie? Here's to more exciting drives, soon!
So, what's the timeframe to getting your car complianced?
Old 01-06-2014, 06:53 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts
Default I drove a fair distance

Over the week between the 26th/2nd I visited a few interesting roads, and they were relatively empty apart from the stint on SH1 on the way home.

Really surprised at the lack of traffic around the Firth of Thames and down to Tauranga, and then between Rotorua/Napier/Wellington.

The Rimutaka hill between Featherston and Upper Hutt was an experience, empty apart from a dense fog and a hero in a van determined to try push on in front of me.

Car is now parked up and will be until the end of Feb due to me being in the USA for what is looking to be a rather cold snowboarding trip given the weather. Slightly concerned about flying into Denver in 3 days.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...mg_4512-1-.jpg
Attached Images  

Last edited by nzskater; 01-06-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Ok, so we've followed Macca's amazing trip in Europe. How about we all drop a post about our local drives we did over the holidays. It would be nice to see what each of us are doing with actually DRIVING our awesome cars. You've seen a couple of mine. What have you been up to?
Nothing special for me, that's why I'm hanging out for the SITT!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?