Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 10:39 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug - are you doing Targa with Paul again this year? Stuart who sold the Cayman R is looking for someone doing the tour to co-drive for.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:59 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Doug - are you doing Targa with Paul again this year? Stuart who sold the Cayman R is looking for someone doing the tour to co-drive for.
I believe Doug has his son co-driving with him this year (well that's his excuse for not inviting me again.......)

I'm co-driving with Walt this year, so looking forward to being up the front in comfort with Chris B and yourself.

On a separate matter - I got to drive JMc's R around the block yesterday - I can see why you pine for one now Pete, I also got to drive my first 356 today.

Driving impression - wow - what cool little cars.

Quieter and nicer to drive than I expected, and surprisingly lots of torque.

They don't drive like an early 911, which is a dumb thing to say, but kind of what I expected them to be like. They have a character of their own that is really cool.

I shall now have to add one of these to the "I want" list (this list is getting quite long now.........)
Old 02-21-2015, 11:02 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So JMc - what are the 'R' lap times???
Old 02-21-2015, 11:16 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I believe Doug has his son co-driving with him this year (well that's his excuse for not inviting me again.......)

I'm co-driving with Walt this year, so looking forward to being up the front in comfort with Chris B and yourself.

On a separate matter - I got to drive JMc's R around the block yesterday - I can see why you pine for one now Pete, I also got to drive my first 356 today.

Driving impression - wow - what cool little cars.

Quieter and nicer to drive than I expected, and surprisingly lots of torque.

They don't drive like an early 911, which is a dumb thing to say, but kind of what I expected them to be like. They have a character of their own that is really cool.

I shall now have to add one of these to the "I want" list (this list is getting quite long now.........)
Ah, now I remember re Targa. If anyone else is looking for a co-driver then let me know and I'll pass the contact on to Stuart. He's a good guy and would be fun in the car.

Yes the R is a more different beast than the S from what it would appear on paper. The Sport mode changes the dynamics, it sounds better and the R suspension is very different. It adds up to a complete package.... which is why, like you, I'm waiting to hear those laptimes!!!
Old 02-22-2015, 12:37 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Happy to chat to Stuart about it. My son is in Wellington and needs to get his Motorsport licence and he's lovely but I can see him not getting around to it. Can you pass him or I each other's details. Thanks
Old 02-22-2015, 12:39 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Jeez. John in the R uninsured at HD. He ought to have driven it like a Nanna in that case without any clocks going so don't hope for knowing what the R can really do.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:59 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Happy to chat to Stuart about it. My son is in Wellington and needs to get his Motorsport licence and he's lovely but I can see him not getting around to it. Can you pass him or I each other's details. Thanks
Sure thing - will do.

Originally Posted by O2GO
Jeez. John in the R uninsured at HD. He ought to have driven it like a Nanna in that case without any clocks going so don't hope for knowing what the R can really do.
Maybe that's why we're waiting....
Old 02-22-2015, 01:00 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I made it to Coffee and classics today. Much bigger than I thought and will go again with a bit more time to hang for longer. Seems to be dominated by yankee muscle but a good selection of Porsches, some of which I'd like to find out more about. A ropey old 911T sporto looked very nice as it is and the weirdest 911 with stretched tyres and a handful of negative camber. It's a mid 70's chassis but looks like a 964 in gunmetal.
Didn't run into you Jake but saw your wheels.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:42 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Dave. I was there today too. My car was parked next to Craigs C3. Shame we didn't get to meet. Over 700 cars today. It was nice to be parked next to the Minis as i have a soft spot for them having owned 4 when i was a kid. Also bailed up a nice american guy who daily drives a bmw 2002 tii i've seen around and been trying to meet the owner. I owned one of those years ago as well, same colour. I really wish i'd kept that car. One that got a way
Old 02-22-2015, 01:45 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

I had been hanging out for today since I got the R. I was a bit disappointed to see rain fall during the briefing and adding rubber laid by drifters over the corners it seemed inevitable that someone would go into the wall. Sure enough a near new Corvette planted boot too soon after turn one and head butted the Armco.

The first run was very careful and a major adjustment was needed to tyre pressures with the rears up to 40lbs. The AIM showed a 1.25.

Neil's race car had a dodgy throttle hinge so we brought out BB and I put the AIM in BB for the subsequent 4 sessions. Neil turned in a 1.26.77 and many laps just above that. BB performed flawlessly.

The R went faster with each session, I think. The surface was very slippery off the line thanks to all of the rubber. I took a while to get used to a new to me mid engined pivot point but enjoyed how chuckable it was. The PDK is incredible. I generally went around the sweeper at 90km/hr indicated and still hit 195km at the start finish where I had to start braking.

Downsides? I miss sticky rubber, I need to be more cautious of applying power with the steering position still turning into the corner as I had moments in turn 4 and barrel 51. I think Herman's 4wd has helped me a lot there. I also need to get some track pads as braking was too progressive for me. I also need to turn off PSM.

Based on the Vmax today I'd say it's capable of 205km/hr putting it well under 1.20. Maybe 1.17 on a dry clean track.
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2015, 01:57 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

John - the consensus is that all the Gen 2 Caymans suffer from 'soft' brakes. Pads are not the whole answer - do some searching on replacing the master cylinder with one from the GT3. I have it on the radar to do as well so if you're interested we can do both at once and combine shipping from the US.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:11 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Here's a pic of the mashup Dave mentioned this morning. Its a 2.7 with 964 front bumper and and early RSR rear
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2015, 03:05 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Here's a pic of the mashup Dave mentioned this morning. Its a 2.7 with 964 front bumper and and early RSR rear
Looks like this one... https://vimeo.com/112586253

Cheers,
Mike
Old 02-22-2015, 03:26 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Dave. I was there today too. My car was parked next to Craigs C3. Shame we didn't get to meet. Over 700 cars today. It was nice to be parked next to the Minis as i have a soft spot for them having owned 4 when i was a kid. Also bailed up a nice american guy who daily drives a bmw 2002 tii i've seen around and been trying to meet the owner. I owned one of those years ago as well, same colour. I really wish i'd kept that car. One that got a way
Yeah, saw your car, and the black C3. Both looking good. I was in and out pretty quick.
Next month I'll come along in the SC. Looks like you gotta be there early to park together.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:38 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Looks like this one... https://vimeo.com/112586253

Cheers,
Mike
Thats the one

Originally Posted by Maxem
Yeah, saw your car, and the black C3. Both looking good. I was in and out pretty quick.
Next month I'll come along in the SC. Looks like you gotta be there early to park together.
Nice one. It would be great meet and see you car. I got there about 9:30 and there were a couple of spots in the Porsche parking area. Good to go as a gruppe

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?