Old 01-07-2014, 03:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Garry D
Kiwi 911

I have a 997.2 RS White and Red .

Still working on the picture.
Nice rig. I thought CCS sold this one recently or are you owner form new?

Id imagine you already get out on track with the RS. Why not join our Rennsport Gruppe we do playdays at HD every month plus this year a few track tours...

I notice today that Jasons 997.2 RS is still on the market. I think its been there almost 6 months. Hes being a bit rich on the price (sale on behlaf). Also the red 7.2 GT3 is still there (again too pricey) and the black 7.1 GT3. Not sure why these arent all moving a bit faster - great cars. Maybe CCS need to price align.

Interesting to see new car buys looking for older models. Dean and I talked at length about this today with one of the original Porsche club founders. Its also happening the other way as I heard today a new 991 GT3 will be finding its way into the hands of a old school 356/911 club member who has a significant collection of desirable metal....
Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 AM
Garry D
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I picked up the car in November , I've only driven at Taupo so far .
Old 01-07-2014, 03:50 AM
Garry D
Instructor

I will try another picture .
Old 01-07-2014, 03:54 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Haven't you worked it out yet? I'm NATO....no action talk only! The TT will be around for as long as I need a DD to until Donna wants a larger car, in which case we'd pool the GTI and TT proceeds into something

Emotion aside the TT is a logical choice for what is becoming a 4,500km road trip punctuated by 4 track days, it has 420hp, 4WD, PASM, tipo, good air con, good radio, 420 hp, two sets of good tyres, full insurance, air bag.

Looking at the attendee list, old and air cooled will be in the minority and it will be incrementally more expensive to take the C4. I don't have good road tyres for it, a new set of Z221s will be used up in the distance traveled and I'll have to get insurance.
To the contrary John. I think youve actually actioned most of what you have talked about doing to date.

I understand the practical benefit off the 996TT. The new GT3 will be my choice if complied and road registered in time for similar reasons. My wife has requested it so as she is in alot of pain daily and the Europe trip proved hom much more space and comfort the newer car had for 3-4 week journeys over the 993. Its also a brand new 2014 MY car and as such removes much of the doubt about taking an older car even one as superbly (if I do say so myself) prepared and cared for as my 993.

However, you dont have a wife and two passengers worth of gear (imagine teh shoes Donna would want to take LOL!) around for two weeks and Ill be brutally honest - your 64 is probably more reliable for this journey than your 6TT. I say that because your TT hasnt been heavily stressed on teh track and its getting old and needing things as you well know. It hasnt been without its own issues in 2 years either.

Lastly you guys are going a bit of a "soul trip". the Reiang to bluff thing. the photos will hang on your wall for life mate. What do you want on those picture a 996TT in tipo grey silver you sold years ago or a 964 RS retro replica infused with your own passion, emotion, blood, sweat and tears that still is sitting in your garage as you look at that framed picture in the study....

There mate. Ive made it really easy (or hard) for you. My excuse is a new GT3 track oriented car and a 2 week trip for two and a crippled wife. Between us on here Ill be happier if we take the 993 personally (less money on the track and more memories to stack with the half a dozen or more 2 week+ journeys we have had in the old girl)....

Phew. First world problems eh!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:57 AM
Garry D
Instructor

try again

Last edited by Garry D; 07-20-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:20 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Last of the manual GT3s - great colour combo - just beautiful.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:25 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Today's purchase moves me firmly towards the 996TT as my SITT car. It all now fits. The Z221s should last all four tracks, and I can travel on road tyres for the rest of the 4,500km with all the modern comforts. That means I'll be interested in shipping options for my track tyres.
Cool, so you will be definitely on for the Doug's mad South Island three crossings of the alps route :-)

We're co-ordinating Pete and Paul who fly into Chch as we leave Hamner Springs to join us at Springfield.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:26 AM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
Hello all! My name is Stuart and you can probably all guess what kind of 911 I drive. We have recently welcomed to our family collection a 993 Targa previously owned by Bob who I see is a member here. As Bob mentioned my father has built up a small collection of classic cars and I finally managed to convince him that 993s count as classics already and we really need a 911 on the squad. It is the second youngest of the classics we have but it certainly has that classic car feel. We'll be keeping it stock and mainly trying to keep it somewhere near the condition Bob kept it in, although I don't know if we can keep the underside that clean!

Haven't had much seat time with it yet, out of town anyway, however it is quickly becoming one of my favourites. I can't even really describe why I like driving it but it just feels very right somehow. I imagine this is the air-cooled feeling many people talk about. Can't wait to get it out of town on some road trips soon, hopefully the weather will stay good for a while.

I see many of you are going on the South Island Track Tour, I got the email from Playday when that came out but sadly I will be on my honeymoon at that time so I missed out! Sounds like an amazing trip.
Hi Stuart
Welcome to the madness!!!!!
Great to read your positive comments to date!!
As Paul said in another thread, that car seems to be very quick and "right on the throttle" for reasons unknown!!
Enjoy….and I guess I will have to change my Avatar sometime.

Bob
Old 01-07-2014, 04:31 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Kiwi 911 I have a 997.2 RS White and Red . Still working on the picture.
Wow, that is one very nice machine. Would love to see and hear more of your car and your exploits :-)
Old 01-07-2014, 04:33 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by nzskater
Over the week between the 26th/2nd I visited a few interesting roads, and they were relatively empty apart from the stint on SH1 on the way home.

Really surprised at the lack of traffic around the Firth of Thames and down to Tauranga, and then between Rotorua/Napier/Wellington.

The Rimutaka hill between Featherston and Upper Hutt was an experience, empty apart from a dense fog and a hero in a van determined to try push on in front of me.

Car is now parked up and will be until the end of Feb due to me being in the USA for what is looking to be a rather cold snowboarding trip given the weather. Slightly concerned about flying into Denver in 3 days.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...mg_4512-1-.jpg
Im pretty sure I saw you on my travels as well. Could have been on the 2nd between Rotorua and Taupo, I was heading south.

In my 750km's I didnt see one cop on the open road.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:34 AM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your comments to date , I am looking for a driver quality car ,Dean is not likely to see any time soon from last time I talked with him . I don't see them at $120k , some thing will come up , until then I have my 3.8 RS to run about in .
Hi Garry
Nice car….but I'm sure you miss your Champagne yellow 356 from days gone by?

Also re your search for a pre impact bumper 911…….last year I was looking at a restoration shop of full bare body metal restorations in Costa Mesa with the end result being better than new for sure……right down to the original houndstooth upholstery…..and they were pre-sold at around the $US180K !!!!!!!!!!!!
I recall that were 3 or 4 of them there.

Cheers
Bob
Old 01-07-2014, 04:40 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
Hello all! My name is Stuart and you can probably all guess what kind of 911 I drive. We have recently welcomed to our family collection a 993 Targa previously owned by Bob who I see is a member here. As Bob mentioned my father has built up a small collection of classic cars and I finally managed to convince him that 993s count as classics already and we really need a 911 on the squad. It is the second youngest of the classics we have but it certainly has that classic car feel. We'll be keeping it stock and mainly trying to keep it somewhere near the condition Bob kept it in, although I don't know if we can keep the underside that clean!

Haven't had much seat time with it yet, out of town anyway, however it is quickly becoming one of my favourites. I can't even really describe why I like driving it but it just feels very right somehow. I imagine this is the air-cooled feeling many people talk about. Can't wait to get it out of town on some road trips soon, hopefully the weather will stay good for a while.

I see many of you are going on the South Island Track Tour, I got the email from Playday when that came out but sadly I will be on my honeymoon at that time so I missed out! Sounds like an amazing trip.
Welcome Stuart. Im Nik from VASK with the RS2. If you are the Stuart Ive thinking of you are the bloke thats been on the Drive Life NZ podcast?
Old 01-07-2014, 04:41 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
To the contrary John. I think youve actually actioned most of what you have talked about doing to date. I understand the practical benefit off the 996TT. The new GT3 will be my choice if complied and road registered in time for similar reasons. My wife has requested it so as she is in alot of pain daily and the Europe trip proved hom much more space and comfort the newer car had for 3-4 week journeys over the 993. Its also a brand new 2014 MY car and as such removes much of the doubt about taking an older car even one as superbly (if I do say so myself) prepared and cared for as my 993. However, you dont have a wife and two passengers worth of gear (imagine teh shoes Donna would want to take LOL!) around for two weeks and Ill be brutally honest - your 64 is probably more reliable for this journey than your 6TT. I say that because your TT hasnt been heavily stressed on teh track and its getting old and needing things as you well know. It hasnt been without its own issues in 2 years either. Lastly you guys are going a bit of a "soul trip". the Reiang to bluff thing. the photos will hang on your wall for life mate. What do you want on those picture a 996TT in tipo grey silver you sold years ago or a 964 RS retro replica infused with your own passion, emotion, blood, sweat and tears that still is sitting in your garage as you look at that framed picture in the study.... There mate. Ive made it really easy (or hard) for you. My excuse is a new GT3 track oriented car and a 2 week trip for two and a crippled wife. Between us on here Ill be happier if we take the 993 personally (less money on the track and more memories to stack with the half a dozen or more 2 week+ journeys we have had in the old girl).... Phew. First world problems eh!
I'm with Macca. Take your soul car and create memories you'll cherish. Don't let wheels and insurance get in the way.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:14 AM
Garry D
Instructor

Hi Bob
Yes that is a good car , now it's back to red .
If I can't find an early 911 here at a reasonable price , then importing one might be the go , I have asked the question to a mate in the States .
Old 01-07-2014, 05:25 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Emotion aside the TT is a logical choice for what is becoming a 4,500km road trip punctuated by 4 track days, it has 420hp, 4WD, PASM, tipo, good air con, good radio, 420 hp, two sets of good tyres, full insurance, air bag. Looking at the attendee list, old and air cooled will be in the minority and it will be incrementally more expensive to take the C4. I don't have good road tyres for it, a new set of Z221s will be used up in the distance traveled and I'll have to get insurance.
I'll be the lone supporter of a silver 911 tipo! Having just driven 2000km in mine I can vouch for the comfort+fun balance. I prefer to open it up (window and accelerator) as much as possible, but when you're occasionally stuck behind three locals, two trucks, a camper van and a bus of tourists, the air con is a god send. And that (almost) instant power is just what you need to move past them when the time is right (don't imagine any of us have any issue with passing to be honest).

The soul of the trip is the drive in a fantastic car. And the TT is a fantastic car!

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Im pretty sure I saw you on my travels as well. Could have been on the 2nd between Rotorua and Taupo, I was heading south. In my 750km's I didnt see one cop on the open road.
Very likely, although I took Broadlands Road from Taupo to Waikite Hot Springs, then SH5 from there to Rotorua at around 7pm.

Was expecting my radar to be rather noisy but it was quiet for the most part. Only 1 car parked up and a few patrolling. Most didn't have their radar on! Surprising. Bit of placebo action going on methinks...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?