Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:29 PM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

993Man,

You want us to drive 3 hours just to find some good roads to drive on? I was going to say that you are utterly mad...........but then i started to actually think it was a good idea................

There are endless very good cafes in the Auckland region its just that there are not *that* many different roads to get to them. I think after 3 years of going all over the place it wouldn't hurt to start recycling some of them.
The wife and i did blast our way around East Cape a few years ago and, like Macca, thoroughly enjoyed it. One road i haven't been on for a very very long time is one from Whakatane through to Wairoa.

Anyway, you would be more than welcome to join us on a run one day and if i can get one of my sons to move out you will have a bed for the night.

Cheers,
Nick
Old 01-16-2011, 11:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

We did the NZ Cannonball Run weekend before last, 4 up in the M5 and had an absolute ball. Lots of really great Northland driving B roads. Unfortunately most of them require 1.5 hrs just to get to!

If you guys are wanting something a little longer (maybe 2hrs return from the Shore) then I recommend heading east off SH1 just North of Wellsford and eventually taking Cove Road via Langs Beach to Waipu and back. A great blast....and Im sure there are a few great cafes along the way (there is a spot or two along the way like the Smashed Pipi Cafe).

Jealous already!

M
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2011, 03:28 AM
nirich
Rennlist Member

More pics please Macca!

A nice long day trip is heading north, turning off SH1 and going through Matakohe, Ruawai, Dargaville to Kai Iwi Lakes. Good roads....corners and loooong straights.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:48 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

It was a well organised event and alot of fun. We went via the east coast roads to Waipu then crossed over SH1 to do the small secondary roads to Kaikoe for a huge gala held in our honour at the local Rugby Stadium - the whole town turned out and put on food and tehre was a MX ramp and display by some leading MX riders - boy that made anything in a car look tame!

Back down via Dargaville and many of the roads you mention. Some unbelieveable stretches of empty highway, not a cop in sight and glorious weather. We started 155th and finished 7th although 3-4 of those that arrived before us didnt stop for any of the clues. It was afterall a "fun ralley" - 550km driving in 6 hrs plus stops. Plan was 993 but extra guests meant plan was diverted to the e39 M5. Turned out to be a great choice - the thing just ate the A roads, and B roads....and the C roads. All in relative comfort with double glazing and air con and stereo! I didnt know it could handle that well although you were always aware it was defying physics staying in those corners being a 1750kg car - as evidenced by the front tyre side treads at the end of the day LOL!

This year there wasnt a single P-car! There was one Fezza and a tonne of pumped up Asian kit and Amerian muscle. the most interesting cars I thought were the DB9, a clutch of TVRs of various vintages, a race prepped GTR and some kit cars such as Cobra and GT40. The Areial Atom looked fun (not) and the blokes in the Westfields were looking a bit ragged by half day. End line was a lodge on a large estate near Silverdale with live band and a large party.....

The event is two years old and would be well worth attending next year if you have a chance with a few P-car friends. A real mixed group but all friendly and all car nuts! The world needs more events like these.....!
Attached Images             
Old 01-19-2011, 04:02 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone going or showing their cars at the Concours on Feb 13th?
I've been asked to show my RS2 by the Audi side of things. I'm having the wheels and brakes painted in a week and a half.

Cheers
Nik
Old 01-19-2011, 09:03 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nirich
993Man,

You want us to drive 3 hours just to find some good roads to drive on? I was going to say that you are utterly mad...........but then i started to actually think it was a good idea................

There are endless very good cafes in the Auckland region its just that there are not *that* many different roads to get to them. I think after 3 years of going all over the place it wouldn't hurt to start recycling some of them.
The wife and i did blast our way around East Cape a few years ago and, like Macca, thoroughly enjoyed it. One road i haven't been on for a very very long time is one from Whakatane through to Wairoa.

Anyway, you would be more than welcome to join us on a run one day and if i can get one of my sons to move out you will have a bed for the night.

Cheers,
Nick
hahahahaha, I would rather you drive here than the other way around! I would love to join you guys one day on a run though. Macca's run idea for up North also looks pretty good. The benefit with down here is the sheer lack of traffic (and Police) on the roads. Plus it's some fairly impressive scenary if you get the chance to look.
We have a cafe.............somewhere.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:06 AM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Default Sunday run to a vineyard

Went for a blast to a local vineyard, unfortunately it was "necessary" to take the long way round.........lots of twisty bits.
Great venue, great food and brilliant company.
Attached Images   
Old 02-09-2011, 03:42 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Very nice, Nick. I wish I could have come. I was supposed to leave for Cairo on Friday and my flights got canceled. My diary filled up pretty quick. Had my own little 964 meet!

Last edited by J1NX3D; 11-15-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jinxed. What silver is that 964? It may be the camera but it looks like mercedes brilliant silver - like a pure metallic silver....

Cheers
M
Old 02-09-2011, 04:48 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

hi Macca,
i think its standard porsche polar silver. I might have put you wrong by colour correcting that image. heres the original, just resized.

Last edited by J1NX3D; 11-15-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Polar it is. Nice colour that. Porbably my favourite.....

M
Old 02-11-2011, 02:49 AM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Hey RS ZWEI, i might actually make it to the Ellerslie Concours........will keep an eye out for you!

Jinxed, if youre still in NZ on March 6 got another run going. After last weekend everyone wanted another blast asap so had to put something together again. After that its April 17th.
I take it the Polar silver baby is your Dads?

Cheers
Old 02-11-2011, 07:33 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

no thats my mums c2 tip. my stepdad has a 5spd c2 a similar blue to Macas 993.

Sorry I wont be here for those runs, I finally got my new itinerary this arvo, i leave this Thurs and back in August.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:25 AM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Default Ellerslie Concours

A couple of pics..........
Attached Images     
Old 02-14-2011, 04:28 AM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Jinxed: Take it easy over there.......history in the making.

R ZWEI: Spotted your blue beast at the Concours. If i ever need replacement wheels, suspension or brakes i know where to go..............

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?