Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 08:33 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Macca, I feel for you. Been at CCS most of the morning. Your car is being kept company by the 959.
Attached Images    
Old 10-18-2013, 08:34 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Macca;10840264

Your little girl sounds like shes a bit tantrum prone lately. Do you think she can be made reliable for SITT? I too am concerned about this being one of the Drive down and Back brigade. Shes not let me down ever in 13 years but this is a very long trip with plenty of track time. Just wondering if you had a plan for her or maybe a 996 GT3?[/QUOTE]

In the last 2 years everything has been rebuilt from head to toe. The problem is when you do 20 or so track days a year and a Targa or 2 for good measure you accelerate the wear. Most race cars only see 8-10 track days a season.

I don't think I'd buy a GT3, as much as I enjoyed the privilege of driving Matt's and think they are truly stunning cars, a 944 race car just makes more sense, and a more modern Porsche with back seats (964T or early 997), I think Chris B has the best combo - I can see Pete is thinking the same too.

Maybe I can put seats in the back of a GT3??

I won't do anything for a year or 2 as I need to finish the new house (i.e. spend money on things that make me money, not cost me money)

By the way - I discovered by accident you can buy a Porsche kitchen - there was one in the poggenpohl show room, only $120K and twice my kitchen budget. Macca - you don't have one of these going on Trade Me shortly by any chance??
Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I have a retirement plan. For cheap entertainment I'm taking a chair down to CCS on Saturday mornings. First up was Mr Abercrombie with his GT3 (non standard suspension) then the Notts turned up in the 73 RS. Not often you see a 959, GT3 and '73 RS in one morning.
Attached Images    
Old 10-18-2013, 08:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Rob taught me how to change pads. Yes, I know it's not difficult but nothing like seeing a pro do it. Pads not bad. One sensor melted. Only changed the fronts as a bit of a mix up in the parts department (checked stock for front and rear pads, seperately, not realizing they are the same part). I'll do the rears myself.
Attached Images    
Old 10-18-2013, 08:52 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

While waiting for the car I had plenty of time to look at suspension, rubbers etc. looks fine, although I noticed that Peter had not used the full travel on the rear strut. The assumption right now is that the front spring can only go so low so Peter couldn't use full travel in the rears.

That could mean lowering only needs new front springs. Only problem is we can't identify the rear springs. They have no markings. They are However almost the same green as the ARB so they could be RUF.
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2013, 09:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Last and probably least, went to Jaycar for a computer part and was sucked in by the counter box. $69 later I have what is likely a nasty GoPro knock off but it can't be much worse than my iPhone video from the regularity trial
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. If you have run out of perch height (main body thread count) on the front shocks you will need to change springs all round. Usually the fronts run out of adjustment way before the fronts (same as mine). No idea for those springs but would be 99% sure those are RUF.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
In the last 2 years everything has been rebuilt from head to toe. The problem is when you do 20 or so track days a year and a Targa or 2 for good measure you accelerate the wear. Most race cars only see 8-10 track days a season.

I don't think I'd buy a GT3, as much as I enjoyed the privilege of driving Matt's and think they are truly stunning cars, a 944 race car just makes more sense, and a more modern Porsche with back seats (964T or early 997), I think Chris B has the best combo - I can see Pete is thinking the same too.

Maybe I can put seats in the back of a GT3??

I won't do anything for a year or 2 as I need to finish the new house (i.e. spend money on things that make me money, not cost me money)

By the way - I discovered by accident you can buy a Porsche kitchen - there was one in the poggenpohl show room, only $120K and twice my kitchen budget. Macca - you don't have one of these going on Trade Me shortly by any chance??
Paul. Your lucky day. You can indeed put the seats in a GT3. My old yellow one (sister car to Bills one in Johns photos - just LOVE speed yellow) had them added back in my the previous owners. At least 2-3 NZ new 997 GT3 I have seen have also had them added back in.

Regards the maintenance etc yes I understand its a bit more when you do a couple of Targa days and a track day or two a month. I guess its accumulative.

However if you are out of action after day 1 of SITT like Targa NZ (entry fee $3K) that's alot of time and money lost.

Its one of the reasons I would rather take the new car but it wont be arriving in time. I believe the 993 can do the trip without a serious issue (it managed 3000km last year Targa fine and this year NITT), but I suspect it will be the last time I can use it like that with reliability as it gets older and like you that work done i had "rebuilding" the car in 2010 starts to have cumulative mileage on it...

John. Thanks for the pictures! You are right. I spend alot of time down there when Im back. Have learnt to use the coffee machine. My mechanic cant get any work down on my car any longer though so keep the secret quiet LOL!. Looks like someone washed my car. Yay. Its up to Peters next then a full proper professional groom then into storage till Xmas.

Your pads still looked like they had some life on them?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2013, 09:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Yes, 2@ 5mm and 2 @ 7mm.

The pad light came on because the heat fractured one of the sensors. Rob looped the sensors rather than fit new ones. No harm done as the old ones are now in my spare box.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

OK. John. That makes sense now. So you still had enough pad left for 3-4 more track days but the sensor went prematurely. Now makes sense....

PS Do you know if Rob had done my rear toe arms (red rennline)? I havent had an update from those guys all week...
Old 10-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. Funny you mention the Porsche kitchen LOL. I have the following Porsche items in Storage for my Porsche garage bathroom.

Porsche Grohe Mixer (warning a very substantial size piece and also a set of 12 Porsche Design recessed halogen light pelmets (tilt). If they take your fancy let me know...LOL
Attached Images    
Old 10-18-2013, 09:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
OK. John. That makes sense now. So you still had enough pad left for 3-4 more track days but the sensor went prematurely. Now makes sense.... PS Do you know if Rob had done my rear toe arms (red rennline)? I havent had an update from those guys all week...
I saw a Rennline box on the bench behind the car but didn't go snooping or asking what they were up to on your car.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

That 914/6 at CCS looks very interesting. I'd have one.
I'm a minnow in terms of handing over cash at CCS and actual time on the premises but it takes me back to the first time I had a Porsche serviced there. I took a day off so I could get my money's worth by loafing around the joint all day perving at Porsches.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dave. You had me smiling with that confession. Did you wear your camo cap at CCS LOL! I was scanning through some of my, John and Matts photos from NITT and I kept coming up across pictures of your stalking my 993.....you got me worried now mate!
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?