Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dave. Good to hear its arrived. Sounds like we both ended up paying for it than we expected due to freight and a retreating FX. Mine worked out at 3250 fitted and painted (5 hr fitting time at CCS which is something you will save on!), but excluded the harness bar.

I think it looks pretty good in black Dave especially with a red car with black interior - very utilitarian. Look forward to seeing it (and mine too!)
Old 09-04-2013, 06:51 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not every day you get a courtesy car with the engine in the back, a roll cage, harnesses (no normal seatbelts), an antisocial exhaust, windows that don't go up/down, and a temperamental idle at a certain temperature point. As far as first real 911 experiences go, it's not half bad! Every drive has been an adventure, for one reason or another... at least it hasn't tried to kill me yet

Last edited by Obsessed; 03-11-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:56 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
It's not every day you get a courtesy car with the engine in the back, a roll cage, harnesses (no normal seatbelts), an antisocial exhaust, windows that don't go up/down, and a temperamental idle at a certain temperature point. As far as first real 911 experiences go, it's not half bad! Every drive has been an adventure, for one reason or another... at least it hasn't tried to kill me yet
Having an almost similar car - It's quite agricultural isn't it

The earlier 911's have a real character, takes a bit to get used to, but once you do, they are a lot of fun...........

I think it could be for sale too Mike........
Old 09-04-2013, 06:56 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

There's no going back!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:24 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Having an almost similar car - It's quite agricultural isn't it

The earlier 911's have a real character, takes a bit to get used to, but once you do, they are a lot of fun...........
Yes, it's so simple and amazingly mechanical. I'm starting to see the appeal of early 911's, even after only driving it like a nanna.

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I think it could be for sale too Mike........
Ha ha, let's not even go there! But out of curiosity, how much would a car like that be worth?
Old 09-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Mike it sounds like an older version of mine. Wait until you hear that on idle (camy/loud) LOL!

Looks great tho! I wish I got loan cars like that when I have work done on mine!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:24 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, it's so simple and amazingly mechanical. I'm starting to see the appeal of early 911's, even after only driving it like a nanna.

Ha ha, let's not even go there! But out of curiosity, how much would a car like that be worth?
$30-35K.

I'm guessing a well sorted car like that would be $35K all day long.

Anything under $3Ok will probably have delayed maintenance bills and end up being a $50K car............
Old 09-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Now that's what I like. What is it? Anyone know the specs? Always wanted an Impact Bumper car.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:15 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about all that driving on the tours coming up, I went ahead and ordered a set of Alpine SPS-410 speakers and adapters to fit them to the factory 996 speaker grilles and loom. Nothing fancy, but still should be a decent upgrade from the stock gear.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:19 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Thinking about all that driving on the tours coming up, I went ahead and ordered a set of Alpine SPS-410 speakers and adapters to fit them to the factory 996 speaker grilles and loom. Nothing fancy, but still should be a decent upgrade from the stock gear.
So you are keeping the existing grilles? Mine are toast in the back. The previous owner seems to have let things fly around the rear seat area.

Assuming we are taking cars for a dry tour, I'm looking at Bose Noise Cancelling headphones hooked up to my iphone. It's too noisy for a stereo, plus George reception is non existent past the Bombays and my stereo in the C4 is rubbish.

Last edited by John McM; 09-05-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:25 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Just got some pics from a work colleague who was watching her partner on the bikes. Not many group shots, sorry. However I do have some of my car in turns 3 and 9. The attitude/stance looks reasonable, so I don't think I'll make a big priority of new springs/lowering while I have other mods underway.
Attached Images    
Old 09-05-2013, 01:27 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
So you are keeping the existing grilles? Mine are toast in the back. The previous owner seems to have let things fly around the rear seat area.
Yep, trying to keep it looking factory.

The GT3 doesn't have rear speakers (unless it was optioned with an audio upgrade package), but the grilles and wiring are in place, so I'll fit a set of speakers in there as well and try to forget the extra 1.5 kg.

Originally Posted by John McM
Assuming we are taking cars for a dry tour, I'm looking at Bose Head Cancelling headphones hooked up to my iphone. It's too noisy for a stereo, plus George reception is non existent past the Bombays and my stereo in the C4 is rubbish.
You know you're well on the way to a dedicated track car when you have to drive wearing headphones/earplugs.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:43 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I'm inspired by Dave's effort. I think the next step will be a race seat and general interior removal. Sunroof delete, sound deadening out, rear wiper, rear seats. I'm kidding myself if I think this car is going back to stock. It's a one way trip.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

To the contrary John I reckon you definitely need to invest $500 in some new springs at the least. All our cars show compression in the corkscrew the thing is comparing your pictures there with Petes, mine and Matts we are all cornering reasonably flat elsewhere (i.e. height difference between fully compressed and say over the brow is an inch max) but your car looks very "floaty".

I could be wrong as I haven't seen the car on the track but I have seen it static and there's no way you are getting the best from the car IMHO sitting static at that height. Suspension is critical to quick turn in and getting power down and I think you would surprise yourself a lot getting your suspension sorted out to similar to Dave B (or Pete?) for example...

Have a chat to Dean when hes back from Fiji and ask him what a difference we have made to the 993 over the last few years with the suspension. Its really night and day. You already have half the equation right but the springs are letting you down.

Just my thoughts...
Old 09-05-2013, 03:16 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Heigo Update. Got it home, looking good out of the box except a few to many marks for my liking. Some through to the steel. It was well packed by Gert so must have happened before hand. There is no way it happened in transit. Will have to look at refinishing one day but after the last hour and a half's effort, I ain't removing it in a hurry. I've cracked the hardest bit which is getting the main hoop in. Biggest problem was compressing the carpet / pulling / pushing the main hoop to get the foot holes lined up to the lower seat belt fixings in the sill. I was terrified of not getting the bolt square on to the threaded back plate in the sill for fear of stripping or cross threading. Once you do that, your'e toast. Have had to call it a day as my garage has nothing like 7/16 UNF bolts to make a nice job of the other 4 points of chassis attachment. The one in the pic shows the harness eye bolt doing the securing. It is a well made piece of kit though, for $2600. Good thing about being bolt in is it will have some value when I'm done with it.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?