Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Took the 64 for a good blast yesterday. Looks like it is back in rude health. It has the top end pull that reminded me of my varioram 993. There's the two seconds.
Dave. Just love the wheels. Was going to ask you what happened with them. Definitely would like first right refusal if you ever sell them. Ive never fallen out of love with that design even though its been 10 years since they were on the car!
Old 10-20-2013, 11:44 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep, they look good for sure. Purposely left out the center caps.
Back to back, road tyres vs track tyres, the roadies make it such a nice car to drive again.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Stronger engine, nicer wheels, more comfortable ride....I think you owe me interest on that 2 seconds!
Old 10-21-2013, 12:41 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spoiler ram options incl used in NZ - 996 Turbo

Originally Posted by PHG
Hi Guys
best laid plans, I was going to try for the 15th, but got two new faults pop up at once, rear spoiler indicator and oil pressure sender fault
Questions, post servicing
NZD$1400 for new spoiler ram..who best for after market or import
Oil sender only $260 plus.. apparently a common fault..ok when giving it the curry, but comes on and off when just tootling.
If Matt's DIY suggestions don't work out for you, I have a spare spoiler ram set which might be open to offer. PM me if interested.

That said, I also have a non-functioning spoiler on the yellow terror and have been putting off attacking it with the DIYs first...

The extra kgs of rear downforce could've been quite handy coming out of the sweeper at Hampton last time - might've saved me an unplanned look around...

Don't know if Matt's links covered it but another cheapish option otherwise is to lock the existing wing up using an ebay kit.

I do get a kick out of seeing it do its thing though.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:52 AM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
For that kind of money, I'd be pricing up a GT2 wing (or replica). One time fix that way, the spoiler hydraulic system is known for failing frequently.

Or DIY options:
- https://rennlist.com/forums/10116125-post42.html
- http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-wing-kit.html
Thanks Matt
If it were something nautical I'd probably have a go at the renn fix..the little (beware, inner springs etc) and failing reflexes precludes that adventure..
don't want to fix it in up position permanently, I like watching in the mirror as it does that manly thing..
Maybe i'll check out that US or UK parts suppliers..
Old 10-21-2013, 06:57 AM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by 996tnz
If Matt's DIY suggestions don't work out for you, I have a spare spoiler ram set which might be open to offer. PM me if interested.

That said, I also have a non-functioning spoiler on the yellow terror and have been putting off attacking it with the DIYs first...

The extra kgs of rear downforce could've been quite handy coming out of the sweeper at Hampton last time - might've saved me an unplanned look around...

Don't know if Matt's links covered it but another cheapish option otherwise is to lock the existing wing up using an ebay kit.

I do get a kick out of seeing it do its thing though.
cheers, I'll PM you
I too like watching the rise and fall. you got the same issue?
Plus the car is no longer as built..
I can't afford a 964 rebuild sadly, altho watching the others on this thread is better than TV

Did you play swapseys after the sweeper..how'ed you do that?

I do like the look of your car, the Yellow kind of grows..the recent pics posted on this thread of the GT3 look great
Old 10-21-2013, 04:13 PM
mjg
Pro

Just signed up for a first crack at Pukekohe on Labour Day. Here's hoping for better weather than currently predicted.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
Just signed up for a first crack at Pukekohe on Labour Day. Here's hoping for better weather than currently predicted.
If you get wet weather watch out for the chicane. Apparently it is a water catchment area and hydroplaning was a concern for the classic trial cars.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:55 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Hey Chaps, did you see the NZ new 993 Targa manual at Turners?

http://turners.co.nz/Cars/Search/Porsche/911/11482473/

127,000kms.

AUCTION ESTIMATE: $49,000 - $51,000
Old 10-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Nik. That's the car you and I have been discussing that I almost bought in 2000 when I got mu coupe (Ivan at Gillies didnt take me as a serious buyer!) it had 55K km on it then. You thought it may have been your dads old girlfriends car.

At 49K its a good buy. Anyone know off the top of their head what the buyers premium is. Id consider sticking 45K on it as a car for the missus!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ok got it - $3000 buyers fees. Steep. Car looks original but leather needs a good shampoo. Infact it could benefit form those door cars and sports seats with painted midnight blue backs I have in storage!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:30 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Nik. That's the car you and I have been discussing that I almost bought in 2000 when I got mu coupe (Ivan at Gillies didnt take me as a serious buyer!) it had 55K km on it then. You thought it may have been your dads old girlfriends car.

At 49K its a good buy. Anyone know off the top of their head what the buyers premium is. Id consider sticking 45K on it as a car for the missus!
Hey Mark, this is Dads ex's car:

http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=Wo5909
Old 10-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Interesting. So three manual Targa 1996-1998. All between 80-120 k km.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

You know what. I just looked at the pictures again blown up. Every picture I mentally identify at least three things Id want to clean up, replace, improve on this car and I realize all of a sudden I cannot own an old car any longer - my 993 is the oldest car I have and will own and not again as I see an endless Virgo inspired array of things to do when I look at pictures like this of 964 and 993 and I know for 100% I would not be happy until these things are done and the car was 99% and it would drive me mad and make me poor in the meantime. These cars are old and after 8 owners this car is undoubtedly "neglected" not that it may show but even being later modela nd relatively low mileage I couldn't not own it without spending 15-20K fixing things up on it (and Im not talking performance enhancements - just getting it straight to my starnadar) and that just the rub. My personality clashes terribly with these types of cars and my lifestyle is polar opposite. I need cars I can jump into, drive the pants off of, park up and repeat the same again and again putting my money and emotional energy into designing new events to do, planning new routes and things to see in my ride not fixing the damn thing or constantly keeping it on the road. Infact truth be told if I didnt have such a bond with the current 993 it would already be replaced with a 2009 GT3. Luckily the old girl appears 99% reliable (should be given the money spent!). However no way will I start again with someone elses 20 year old "problem child", its hard enough potty training your own!

I've just talked myself out of the 993 Targa (and almost my own 993!) so if anyone is interested n it go for it LOL!
Old 10-21-2013, 07:12 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem is the new cars, although fabulous, just don't look as 'cool' as the old cars.

Park a 356 or an early 911 against a 991 in a public area, and most will be drawn to the older cars.

I don't think the general public would take a second look at a new 911 unless it's painted orange and has big wings............

They have a soul the new ones don't have.

This is why Singer's and other similar modernising projects exist?

Except to take the technology to the track, personally, I'd never buy a new-ish Porsche, if I had $150K - I'd just by a long hood, early 3.0 Turbo or 74/75 2.7 Carrera, as they still quick enough and comfortable enough if in top condition.

Graham's 2.8 RS or a 991 (as a Sunday driver - unless you are a nanna - there is no choice IMHO,)

P.s. GT3 is tagged out...........

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?