Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 11:42 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Braking, heat is your enemy.

Good technique, short and sharp, maximum application, abs should be pulsing, tyres chirping (non abs car near lock and then not).

Front straight at Manfield 185km at the end,
hit my braking mark, brakes brakes brakes as hard as possible for as short as possible,
hit turn in point (all down changes in a straight line) - off brakes,
turn in - apex and then power out or if you drive a lotus you do a couple of donuts

I hope that makes sense. Most that I have seen when coaching has been acceleration, brake to early, 3/4 brakes for longer length heat builds up and after each corner and each lap you start to have issues.

I've run standard 993 brakes with Pagids and had no braking issues what so ever. Hated them on the road. So just changed the pads for trackdays and put road ones back in after.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:57 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
And if that doesn't work I'll see if I can play rabbit and draw the others into a sub minimum time lap. That way you get a special black and white flag, but not the chequered one Paul, I'm picking you are not naturally wired for consistency. I think it was you and a GT3 that blew the lap at the Porsche regularity trial that saw me sub 1:23 in the 996TT
At Hampton, just go out behind me and stick on my tail pipe.........

This should put you in the top 4.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:00 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After been away for a while it was time to take the 911 for a spin on sunday. Lo and behold when I got back from the drive I noticed a bloody great nailhead in one of the new michelins on the back. Bugger! Sure enough it's right on the sidewall and unrepairable.

I know it's been mentioned many times before, but who is the best contact for tyres in NZ. Tirerack.com still? Any other contacts?

After a quick search on this forum the keyword 'tyre' brings up every second post!

Last edited by Runtothehills; 11-26-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:19 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
After been away for a while it was time to take the 911 for a spin on sunday. Lo and behold when I got back from the drive I noticed a bloody great nailhead in one of the new michelins on the back. Bugger! Sure enough it's right on the sidewall and unrepairable. I know it's been mentioned many times before, but who is the best contact for tyres in NZ. Tirerack.com still? Any other contacts? After a quick search on this forum the keyword 'tyre' brings up every second post!
Hi Sam,

I bought mine through design 911 in the UK. What's the exact spec?
Old 10-10-2013, 03:20 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
At Hampton, just go out behind me and stick on my tail pipe......... This should put you in the top 4.
Not going to be a shrinking violet this time. My home turf!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:31 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi John. I think I would be taking a similar tact as you and just using that as experience for traffic, new tracks and getting better lines. Sounds like a headache trying to win!
I've been to only two regularity trials, both with PCNZ and I loved forgetting about trying to win the regularity (tut, tut) and enjoying a bit of "racing", hunting, overtaking and the thrill of the chase. I did button off on the main straight thinking that would wipe time off so I could do it all again on the next lap and not get black flagged for going too far under the 1:28 minimum. As the day drift on I got faster and faster but it didn't feel so... It felt more and more relaxed. Every second outing were sprints which raised the heart beat making it hard to hold back in the next regularity. I can just see Steve R rolling his eyes at my antics :-) oh, yeah, I got a black flag too.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy

Good technique, short and sharp, maximum application, abs should be pulsing, tyres chirping (non abs car near lock and then not).

hit my braking mark, brakes brakes brakes as hard as possible for as short as possible,
turn in - apex and then power out or if you drive a lotus you do a couple of donuts

I hope that makes sense. Most that I have seen when coaching has been acceleration, brake to early, 3/4 brakes for longer length heat builds up and after each corner and each lap you start to have issues.

I've run standard 993 brakes with Pagids and had no braking issues what so ever. Hated them on the road. So just changed the pads for trackdays and put road ones back in after.
Wow. Thought I was back at Manfield for a moment there! That was exactly what it was like.....although I only got the abs working in the last session (oh, and when Robert Spin Doctor Ho decided to rotate infront of us in the corner) LOL!.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:41 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy

Wow. Thought I was back at Manfield for a moment there! That was exactly what it was like.....although I only got the abs working in the last session (oh, and when Robert Spin Doctor Ho decided to rotate infront of us in the corner) LOL!.
I leave my braking as late as possible and brake hard (heel and toe), often resulting in making up time and getting closer to the car out in front. I currently make more gains coming into corners than anywhere else on the track I this stage of my progression. My reason for trying Pagid Orange pads is not just about the pads breaking ability, or fade (although I was severely obliterating my pads with lots of fade toward the end of their life as we know at Manfield). For me it's durability and ability to withstand heat. 3 track days out of a set of factory pads isn't good enough for me if, for about 10-20% more I can get pad that will perform better and last much longer.

Time will tell of course. Ask me again at the end of the SITT :-)

Got my car back for Motorscience tonight.. Looking forward to the weekend after being without it for a week and especially Tuesday's twilight session. Got to put the new pads through a heat cycle this weekend.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug. I saw your pads and they sure were toast. Couldn't believe they were new only three sessions earlier. I see that you have an issue with heat. Given you are braking in similar fashion to me (like you I make up my time if I can in the corners) and your brakes are bigger (but your car is perhaps 100kg heavier) then I see only ventilation as the cure or of course running race pads.

I had mine all properly evaluated last week. Pads and rotors fitted new at 55,000Km in mid 2005, now reading 81,000km (Targa 3000km, three full track days running as hard as I am able), maybe 4-5 fast Sunday Ron drives. These were the comments-

Hi Mark,

Rob gave the 993 a check over, took all the readings on the brakes for you so you can decide whether to remove now or run them a bit longer.

• Front discs – Left 30.92mm , Right 31.06mm ( minimum thickness 30mm )
• Front brake pads – Left 5mm , Right 6mm ( new pad thickness 11mm )
• Rear discs – Left 23.06mm , Right 23.03mm ( minimum thickness 22mm )
• Rear brake pads – Left 5mm , Right 5mm ( new pad thickness 12mm )

No saying how long a set of factory pads will last (Ive just ordered a full set around $400 nzd landed as back ups for the SITT) but given the above data and usage history Im suggesting around 6-8 track days as I get better an lop 1-2 seconds a lap off the times plus maybe 10,000+km of touring.

Why is everyone going to race pads instead of ventilating their front discs? Surely over 1-2 seasons the price of pads and discs will well outweigh cost of some basic ventilation?
Old 10-10-2013, 05:24 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

All this talk about pads, so I checked mine. Not much left. Maybe 2 mm on the fronts. I bought the car with them on so no idea of the history but I know they've done the following:

10/8 Porsche regularity trial
11/8 Playday
31/8 Playday
13/9 Taupo
14/9 Manfield
14/9 1,000 km road driving
5/10 TACCOC regularity trial
Maybe another 600 km of road mileage.

The tyres are looking good. Beyond my expectations.
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. 2mm is factory minimum spec. Good you caught those, bets get them replaced with the oil next week. Looks like they have given good service. Same with tyres. That said knock 4s off your HD lap times and you'll accelerate wear on those items by at least 50-75% Id imagine...
Old 10-10-2013, 05:48 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John. 2mm is factory minimum spec. Good you caught those, bets get them replaced with the oil next week. Looks like they have given good service. Same with tyres. That said knock 4s off your HD lap times and you'll accelerate wear on those items by at least 50-75% Id imagine...
Not happy. My Pelican parts order was dispatched this morning so another lot of freight to pay. Mind you I need to see what they are first so I can get the same ones.

Goal is sub 1:25 on 2/11 and sub 1:23 by the end of the year. Very doable given I have 4 track days in that period.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:17 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

strongly agree with Macca re ventilation - cheapest thing you can do. I also wouldn't run down to min factory thickness for race or trackday. Road ok but pads are absorbing heat so as thickness reduces the capacity to do this also reduced so 10ml and 2ml are radically different. I would be more conserative and change earlier on Targa (Race not Tour) because deterioration can be much quicker towards the end of life. On a trackday you would want to check after each session and this is likely to be a hassle for most if self servicing - wheels off, pads out to check uneven thickness and signs of crumbling anywhere on the pad surface. On targa we can service mostly at least every 2 stages and if long 40-50km plus tour to and from then after each stage.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:26 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Not happy. My Pelican parts order was dispatched this morning so another lot of freight to pay. Mind you I need to see what they are first so I can get the same ones.

Goal is sub 1:25 on 2/11 and sub 1:23 by the end of the year. Very doable given I have 4 track days in that period.
So what are you going to do differently to get to a 1.25??

Whats your quickest now??
Old 10-10-2013, 06:36 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Macca, I've been doing some research on brake ventilation on rennlist.... Certainly a lot more talk about pads than ventilation. Is this the sort of thing you're referring to?
http://www.autoatlanta.com/results.p...ster%202005-09

The gt3 kit is cheap, the gt2 not so. Most comments talk about having to cut them to fit.

John, the reading I've done suggests when tracking/racing change the pads when half worn. On the street they're fine. But on the track, below half and they fail to dissipate heat (reduced heat absorbing mass) and so the last 50% wear very fast. I'm no expert tho.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?