Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 06:39 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John. Again, apologies, definitely something I will be more conscious of next time and of course you are welcome to come out with me anytime . I just need to get he 944 fixed after it snapped the ball joint out of the A arm on the passengers side on Saturday, a bit scary!

I will talk to Steve to get a copy of what has been agreed with Prestigio, I think the 5 second gap when starting is a Prestigio requirement, but do like your idea around starting in groups although that would be best if fastest went first, even within the groups, as when the cars are close there is a risk of holding up a slightly faster car as Matt noted.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:40 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Tough day in the office Doug! Very jealous, a great day for a drive.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:46 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Tough day in the office Doug! Very jealous, a great day for a drive.
Thanks. I think the weather in Auckland was better than Northland.... It was fine up there in the morning but showery off and on all afternoon. No complaints though. A nice long run with very little traffic :-)
Old 09-02-2013, 06:53 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maths isn't my strong point but if you're doing 1:30s and another car is doing 1:16s won't it be 6 laps before you get lapped? I certainly find RSG a huge improvement from the standard Playday hat on backwards brigade, and it's another whole level of risk at Uncles. Last day I was out doing 1:25-1:26 in the dry and I didn't have the need to pull over for many such that it was annoying. I do think it might be worth us having our own group briefing to include maybe things like order, further refinement of the rules of etiquette, and maybe any concerns any particular driver might have. I personally would like to have an understanding that nobody was going to overtake unless I have my indicator on which I do when someone is clearly faster than me. Maybe a flash of lights could be a request to pass and an indicator the response?
In any event, this is a discussion worth having as we need to cater for a wide range of cars, confidence and competence.
Just my thoughts.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:07 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Sam showed me his timer setup with Harrys Lap Timer on iPhone using a cheap windscreen universal phone mount. As well as capturing lap times, it captures and reports sector times, gforce, breaking/acceleration and lines etc. a nice plus is that it can take video and display this information along with your position on the circuit on top top the video. The video is saved into your albums, ready to be uploaded to YouTube etc or just viewed later.

So this afternoon I went out and bought a similar phone mount and have downloaded the PetrolHead version (has the video feature) for $25.

Sam says is has a feature where we can connect to each other and compare performance live... Not that we'd have time to look at this while driving and it would breach the insurance rules to be able to see these details while driving anyway.

I'll be interested to see how it goes.

http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html

Heres a preview of how the low res recording looks, apparently the best mounts are RAM ones which Ill get in the states next week, Just an interesting little bit of kit I reckon and having the overlays of the splits and speeds around corners is quite interesting (as long as its accurate)
Old 09-02-2013, 07:20 AM
mjg
Pro

I had a play with the AIM data and RaceRender, similar results but much more effort required than HLT as you have to glue everything together and synchronize the data and video yourself:

(I need to find a better place to mount the GoPro, the cage mount is good for watching what I'm doing but useless for viewing outside the cabin in stronger lighting.)
Old 09-02-2013, 07:27 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The overtaking protocol is of particular relevance to me, because it happens so often I had a close shave in a general Playday session a couple of years ago, but I haven't had any issues in RSG sessions.

I'm sure I hold people up at times, but I never try to "hold anyone out" and I'm consistent about what I do on each straight to let people by, so hopefully I'm predictable.

During the PCNZ driver training this year we were asked to indicate to show that we were happy to be overtaken. Playday specifically say not to do this, but I actually thought it worked bloody well. It's quick, simple, and removes any doubt that the car you're overtaking hasn't seen you or is expecting you to go on the other side.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:32 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Maths isn't my strong point but if you're doing 1:30s and another car is doing 1:16s won't it be 6 laps before you get lapped? I certainly find RSG a huge improvement from the standard Playday hat on backwards brigade, and it's another whole level of risk at Uncles. Last day I was out doing 1:25-1:26 in the dry and I didn't have the need to pull over for many such that it was annoying. I do think it might be worth us having our own group briefing to include maybe things like order, further refinement of the rules of etiquette, and maybe any concerns any particular driver might have. I personally would like to have an understanding that nobody was going to overtake unless I have my indicator on which I do when someone is clearly faster than me. Maybe a flash of lights could be a request to pass and an indicator the response?
In any event, this is a discussion worth having as we need to cater for a wide range of cars, confidence and competence.
Just my thoughts.
Correct, the calcs don't explain my point well. Typically we go at 5 second intervals and it's not usually in order of slowest to fastest, therefore my real world experience is 3 or 4 clear laps before I'm looking in the mirrors. Sam's clip with George overtaking is a classic example. It appears Sam is lapping at just over 1.26 but has his rhythm interrupted to let George through. It looked very orderly but not a perfect situation.

Not sure there is enough time for flashing and indicators. We really just need to separate the sub 1.21s from the rest of us for more of the session.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:04 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Runtothehills

Heres a preview of how the low res recording looks, apparently the best mounts are RAM ones which Ill get in the states next week, Just an interesting little bit of kit I reckon and having the overlays of the splits and speeds around corners is quite interesting (as long as its accurate) Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjSytbFWt5g
I've bought the App, mainly for the video overlay, which will allow me to check against the AIM for accuracy. Another useful tool.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Matt. Sounds like a plan. I have a GPS antennae installed so simple hook up to the PB. We will try running a separate lead - seems like the easiest/quickest solution for now.

In terms of traffic at HD on Sat sound like John is right. More planning around departure sequence needed. I noted from my one and only track day this seemed random.

Also looking at the photos you have 964s running with 996 turbos, 997 GT3s, Nissan GTRs and Aston Marin v8 vantages. Im not sure how you can possibly not be lapped if you are 300 bhp or under.

For taupo we will split RSG into two groups. Fast and slow. Slow will be 964/993 and boxster/944. Fast will be 996, GT3, 997 or anyone usually putting in 120s or below at HD. I think you will find that improves things somewhat.

Doug awesome tour. 650km is mega for NZ driving. Testament to the car. Love the Hokianga Harbour and that forest road past the Kauris. Many nice driving memories up there. Thank god for the Radar detector - I never leave home without it!
Old 09-02-2013, 08:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
Heres a preview of how the low res recording looks, apparently the best mounts are RAM ones which Ill get in the states next week, Just an interesting little bit of kit I reckon and having the overlays of the splits and speeds around corners is quite interesting (as long as its accurate) hamptons 31 aug Harry's cam trial - YouTube
This is just a lovely simple solution. Shame resolution isnt better but i have no doubt as iPhone evolves this will eventually become HD quality. The best part is its free and regardless wether its "spot on" it provides a good relative tool for improvement I like it very much as it gives you really useful data like corner speeds and section times and reads out you lap times so you dont have to take you eyes off the track.

Matt, the GoPro black edition has a zoom feature that may help with your picture from that far back in the car. I was going to try it at taupo with a harness mount. I use it in the Rally cars in Vanuatu and it works ok - gets a better light reading and still can record HD+. However its good to get some cockpit footage. Helps you improve you technique.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:45 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
For taupo we will split RSG into two groups. Fast and slow. Slow will be 964/993 and boxster/944. Fast will be 996, GT3, 997 or anyone usually putting in 120s or below at HD. I think you will find that improves things somewhat.
Macca - that won't be completely practical because of the need to divide Ray over the two RSG sessions - unfortunately just because of the maths there will need to be slower cars in the faster Group. I've done some playing round on spreadsheet to get it as even as possible but its frustratingly difficult!
Old 09-02-2013, 06:02 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Macca - that won't be completely practical because of the need to divide Ray over the two RSG sessions - unfortunately just because of the maths there will need to be slower cars in the faster Group. I've done some playing round on spreadsheet to get it as even as possible but its frustratingly difficult!
The circuit is quite a bit longer than HD, so I imagine corner crowding is less of a concern.

BTW: I don't sense we have a major problem as is with HD, just some fine tuning of the starting sequence would get the most out of the days for everyone as would a reiteration of the passing protocols.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:02 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Peter, what's the protocol for adhoc tuition? Simon G has offered to come across to Taupo and give me pointers (already have heel and toe homework so may be more than that...). The presumption is to ask Tony @ Playday.

Last edited by John McM; 09-02-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:27 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Peter, what's the protocol for adhoc tuition? Simon G has offered to come across to Taupo and give me pointers (already have heel and toe homework so may be more than that...). The presumption is to ask Tony @ Playday.
I'll have to ask.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?