Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:37 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Green GT3 as referred to recently on here "seen on the docks".

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Its just passing through NZ on the way to OZ. Forza are giving it a "once over".
Old 07-24-2013, 10:40 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Midnight Blue as is Robert Dongs as pictured below next to my old Turbo. No black ones in NZ that I am aware of.

Black 993 RS: http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=FPC145
Old 07-24-2013, 10:50 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Mine was midnight blue metallic (ex Singapore) and isnt in the photograph. The Red race car was rolled bowled and a**holed during a Targa tour in the early 2000's and re built with an entirely new shell. The yellow one was a bit of a Mutt. I almost bought it in HK but smelt a rat. Max from the Toyshop ended up importing it and it was a colour change that had had a real hard life. Had been on the circuit and had a few offs. CCS spent a fortune getting it right. He finally offloaded it and the new owner had it stolen a few months later found stripped out in the Waitaks. I almost bought iit again at the turns auctions but was bidding against a gazillionaire kiwi who owns the red race livery one mentioned already. He bought it fixed it up (not all original parts) and then resold it......the only "straight" 993RS in NZ are the red on in this picture (ex Simon - Johns friend) and the Iris blue one owned by Robert Dong in WTGN. Even mine had been in a biggish off in Malaysia on teh circuit by its first owner although he owned a Porsche independent shop and did a really good job with the repair...

In a nutshell that's the story on 993RS in NZ
The sad site of the broken Targa RS:

Name:  d0f32bfd315fa7a0a926015446bcc0a5_zps09cbe6f8.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  88.4 KB

Sorry about the picture quality.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If I recall correctly there was also an almost new Audi RS4 wagon which was totalled at the same time. It was also reshelled and returned like the 993RS to Targa racing. Neither were insured. Both luckily had owners with very deep pockets. The issue was a car in front dumped its sump on the damp road. Caused a massive off for at least 2-3 participants which included rolling the car a number of times. No one was hurt that I recall...So out of 6 993RS in NZ three have been damaged/rebuilt and 2 NZ ones are in original condition. Cant speak for the UK import...

Something I recall also is that the Red 993RS in this picture had also suffered a fairly big accident with an earlier owner and had been rebuilt before (not with a new shell tho). Cant recall the details no lost in the mists of time...
Old 07-24-2013, 11:31 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
If I recall correctly there was also an almost new Audi RS4 wagon which was totalled at the same time. It was also reshelled and returned like the 993RS to Targa racing. Neither were insured. Both luckily had owners with very deep pockets. The issue was a car in front dumped its sump on the damp road. Caused a massive off for at least 2-3 participants which included rolling the car a number of times. No one was hurt that I recall...So out of 6 993RS in NZ three have been damaged/rebuilt and 2 NZ ones are in original condition. Cant speak for the UK import...

Something I recall also is that the Red 993RS in this picture had also suffered a fairly big accident with an earlier owner and had been rebuilt before (not with a new shell tho). Cant recall the details no lost in the mists of time...
The B5 RS4 was the then Turners Auctions race/targa car. I think the first shell lost its life on the first or second corner of its first or second event - a hill climb IIRC correctly.
Its the car thats still doing Targa today, though its pasted through a few hands now.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:12 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Right, so we've played the 993RS game for NZ...

Macca, can you do the 964 RS one for me too?
Old 07-25-2013, 02:40 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Right, so we've played the 993RS game for NZ...

Macca, can you do the 964 RS one for me too?
There's some cool cars out there. Would be neat to have a full database of the unique ones. Like this BTR4 that resides in Wellington. There's also a 964 Speedster in Palmerston North in speed yellow.

I know of a white 964RS that used to reside in WGTN and belongs to Robert Dongs brother. I'm pretty sure he still has it. Then there was John Pottingers old yellow one.
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2013, 02:42 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Good stuff RS ZWEI. Love CarJam for this stuff. Use it on my Iphone even, when I see a car go by. Do you know where it resides?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:04 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Good stuff RS ZWEI. Love CarJam for this stuff. Use it on my Iphone even, when I see a car go by. Do you know where it resides?
No I dont sorry.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:07 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

There's some cool cars out there. Would be neat to have a full database of the unique ones. Like this BTR4 that resides in Wellington. There's also a 964 Speedster in Palmerston North in speed yellow.

I know of a white 964RS that used to reside in WGTN and belongs to Robert Dongs brother. I'm pretty sure he still has it. Then there was John Pottingers old yellow one.
Im pretty sure the yellow 964RS was exported.

From my records NZ has had eight 964RS's registered in NZ. Four of these are NZ new.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:15 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

From my records NZ has had eight 964RS's registered in NZ. Four of these are NZ new.
I recall seeing a red 964RS at Manfield one private track day but cannot remember the owner or any other details other than he was from WGTN.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:31 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

I recall seeing a red 964RS at Manfield one private track day but cannot remember the owner or any other details other than he was from WGTN.
Jamie, can you please PM me the address for your banners?

Cheers
John.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:02 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Very nice.

Yellow and white? Wow. I had only though there were a couple of red ones.

Ok 8 is way more than I had thought there would be. That's a pretty decent effort for NZ. How many are left? A few have gone overseas in the past 3 or so years haven't they?

EDIT- that doesn't include mine does it? Somehow the first owner, I think it was Graeme Cameron who did it, managed to get it registered as an RS when he imported it.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:17 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There are several 964 cup cars too. Two were at the last Playday / gymkhana

Last edited by kiwi 911; 07-25-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:21 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
There are several 964 cup cars too. Two where at the last Playday / gymkhana
Yeah, there seems to be as many if not more Cup cars as there are RSs but harder to track I think?

I've been digging through old pics of my car. Have some in the logbook from when Graeme had it, here's one from Craig Loveridge's time with it...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?