Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 02:43 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a screen shot of the listing of the Hamilton Cayman S that was still open on my PC (since taken down).
Old 12-22-2014, 02:43 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Oops, retry...
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2014, 02:53 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Here's a screen shot of the listing of the Hamilton Cayman S that was still open on my PC (since taken down).
Doug - if I recall correctly there was one of those stolen about 6-12 months ago. Same color - was recovered and then put up for sale.

http://autofile.co.nz/con-artist-appears-in-court/
Old 12-22-2014, 03:04 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Dear Pete, I hope you are enjoying the Christmas lights. Unlike Macca, I was only cruzing at road legal speeds, was most respectful of your car and can report no dead birds or new stone chips
Dear Paul,

I am really enjoying driving my Hyundai station wagon 1.7 diesel with 4 suitcases and a family of 4.... With an open stretch of road and a 3 mile run-up I can almost make it to 175... Am I feeling a bit jealous? Just a little bit!!

The brake pedal feel is the main weak point (in the Cayman). Planning to swap out the master cylinder for the Gt3 one when I get back. Cayman R suspension would be nice also but rare to be able to find 2nd hand. Looking forward to comparing notes.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:11 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
No point stoking the fire Warwick as the sale price is fixed subject to PPI results. I did take some pics today while it was up on the hoist, but never got the call to take it home, so it's on to day 3.

Never mind, met Macca and Doug at CCS. Macca and I breached some boundaries and lifted the skirt on the Blue Turbo 3.6 Paul saw yesterday. Bingo, we confirmed it is an X88 and debunked a belief that all World X88 VINs were known. True trainspotters.

Then on to Doug's place to get Herman valued. Ian's learned opinion is $60k. Herman owes me more than that, but not a lot more. Not that it means much as I'm valuing for insurance not sale.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:16 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Doug - if I recall correctly there was one of those stolen about 6-12 months ago. Same color - was recovered and then put up for sale.

http://autofile.co.nz/con-artist-appears-in-court/
Yep that's the car (same colour, wheels, dealer). Reading the article it was "bought" with a cheque for $75k that was a dud then recovered a few days later. It's the same dealer who sold it today.

Well spotted.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:32 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
pS Pete. Paul drive like a manna mate - he didn't speed like me. He did say the brakes are prone to fading and the car is too quiet tho! Seriously tho he took good care of her and I made sure he was 400m behind me at most times...
Re the noise - there is a 'loud button' for the sports exhaust but it does feel a bit artificial to have to press a button. And it's still nothing like a Borla!
Old 12-22-2014, 03:48 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Dear Paul,

I am really enjoying driving my Hyundai station wagon 1.7 diesel with 4 suitcases and a family of 4.... With an open stretch of road and a 3 mile run-up I can almost make it to 175... Am I feeling a bit jealous? Just a little bit!!

The brake pedal feel is the main weak point (in the Cayman). Planning to swap out the master cylinder for the Gt3 one when I get back. Cayman R suspension would be nice also but rare to be able to find 2nd hand. Looking forward to comparing notes.

It's EPIC - I think everyone knows I'm a fan of Cayman's. I think they are the future enthusiasts choice and will probably be more desirable than a used base model 911 in 10 years time. The new GTS I drove the other day is the best Pcar I have ever driven. I might be tempted to buy a GT4 through Macca's broker and own a year or two before the deprecation kicks in too harshly....

Gracie loves it - it's red and has 2 seats, so she thinks is super cool and wants to go for a drive.

Only 2 things I would look at:

1) brake pedal feel - which you say is a known issue - it doesn't inspire confidence.

2) Lower and dial in a wee bit of neg camber. The car handles really well - these are just cosmetic.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Paul. Lets get together for another drive this week. This time push the sports button and well see if we can hear the car better!

Doug, John, Walt - good to see you all today. I had an interesting day but spent far too long waiting at CCS for my car. It was good opportunity to catch up with the sales guys and take Dean out for lunch etc. I learnt lots. Like these facts:

GT4 is confirmed MANUAL ONLY. sales guys are gutted. This year they sold virtually every new 911 PDK so I think they see manual only as limiting their market. Still rumoured 3.8L 380 bhp. Manual will keep its numbers down and enthusiast interest high which I think is a good thing. If its as good as it sounds Im in.

Boxster and Cayman sales are at all time lows in NZ. They are moving 8-9 other products *cayennes, Panas, 911s, Macans) for each boxster/cayenne sale - perhaps this is why Doug and Paul have found these so hard to acquire.

CCS received a Red 991 GT3 today while I was there. Another bloody red one! This is the car Paul referred too. It was a customer car ordered 9 months ago so is sold. CCS have just put their 991 GT3 demonstrator on the market. By the time they finish in March/April will have sold 8 GT3s from what I understood.

Clear plastic doesnt work unless it entirely covers every edge on the car. I inspected Richards post targa car in the downstairs basement and was very surprised with what I found. The grey front mesh are all missing their paint, the radiators below have folded fins from debris, all the edges of bumper and bonnet that were not wrapped are totally sand blasted, the bonnet with is black skin has nicks and cuts to the steel throughout, window-screen heavily peppered. Chips on wheels, rash down side of car etc basically its a front end respray at some stage. Its a very heavy toll for a single event IMO. I can only think the car must have been right up the date of the car in front most of the time which I personally think is crazy why not leave a 300m gap and keep it a constant? Doug - any comments?

Today I had handsfree Bluetooth factory kit retro fitted to the GT3. This is because I stupidly didnt tick the right box at order. It involved fitment of two microphones a loom and a code. Not expensive but also required 3-4hrs labour as steering heel and instrument cluster had to come out as well as PCM etc!!!

Also had AIM wiring tidied up behind glove box, Sharkwork tips installed. My biggest "win" was my red centre marker on my steering wheel. Cost about 15 cents!

Dougie have you thought to approach Ron to buy his Cayman S? Its manual and blue and I think he might be interested to sell privately if approached. Id imagine he would price it very reasonably. I think he will be thinking GT4 now too.

Pete. An after-market exhaust would be the thrid and final thing to add to what Paul just said.

Photos below:
Attached Images         
Old 12-22-2014, 04:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Ok ladies. Just spoke to Scott Bain and he's inspired by my Porsche sales to put his NZ new manual 993 on the market. 150,000km on the clock. He also has a spare gear box and a load of things he bought from Macca. Car pricing is similar to Paul's car. Gearbox is $5,000.

Scott has a lot of emotional attachment to his car, but is launching a new business so cash counts. That said, he doesn't need to sell so he has zero interest in low ballers. I don't think he will put it on Tardme. He has told Dave M that he's interested in selling.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

65K for the car John?
Old 12-22-2014, 04:13 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

65K for the car John?
Yes, if someone walked in with an offer at that level they would likely drive it home. Car is currently in Pauanui.

I suspect Scott is the same seller psychology as me. You make him think quick with the price he wants. Don't let him think it over.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Its a good buy for someone. Cant sell a secret. Tell him to prep it, take some nice evening light shots and get it on TM asap...
Old 12-22-2014, 04:22 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I inspected Richards post targa car in the downstairs basement and was very surprised with what I found. The grey front mesh are all missing their paint, the radiators below have folded fins from debris, all the edges of bumper and bonnet that were not wrapped are totally sand blasted, the bonnet with is black skin has nicks and cuts to the steel throughout, window-screen heavily peppered. Chips on wheels, rash down side of car etc basically its a front end respray at some stage. Its a very heavy toll for a single event IMO. I can only think the car must have been right up the date of the car in front most of the time which I personally think is crazy why not leave a 300m gap and keep it a constant? Doug - any comments? Dougie have you thought to approach Ron to buy his Cayman S? Its manual and blue and I think he might be interested to sell privately if approached. Id imagine he would price it very reasonably. I think he will be thinking GT4 now too.
I don't want to be critical of Richard on this forum but you are right, he follows right up the date of the car in front. I was horrified at the stone damage ensuing. He loves the Targa Tour and treats his car purely as a great driving experience. At one of the compulsory donation car washes I paid them to not wash his car as they were just rubbing grit all over the cars and i couldn't stand that happening to his car. The radiators look pretty bad now don't they.

It's not necessary. At the NI Targa early this year I left about 100m gap most of the time and my car looked perfect apart from a couple of small windscreen pitting. Onthe Si Targa Tour in the front group most were following too bloody close and getting showered.

I spent time with Ron and Patsy at CCS yesterday (yes I've been there a few days over the last week). Looked at their Turbo which I think is very good value given it's spec, well maintained, and condition. Even had the engine out to have all the water pipes pinned. However, it is not the car I'm looking for. He loves his Cayman whihc is his DD and it's not for sale.

After a long discussion with Jan we're wanting to stick with a convertible. It's such a blast for long summer tours in the heat. The Cayman is great but I have a manual coupe in the C2.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Its a good buy for someone. Cant sell a secret. Tell him to prep it, take some nice evening light shots and get it on TM asap...
He's working 24/7 Macca but off to Pauanui for a few weeks. This is a rush of blood to the head moment. I don't sense he's motivated enough to go through the Trademe process. He went to school with Dave M. Something will come out of the woodwork.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?