Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 05:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Moving to a four wheel drive platform will teach you little about fast wet driving. Look at Ron. 5 years 997TT ownership, 4 targa tours......and a wet surface at HD. 18 uninsured K later....

Does the skid pan at HD have a concrete or bitumen surface. We need a wet bitumen surface (usually its a speciial mix bitumen plumbed with water jets)...
http://tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Driver-....aspx#skid_pan
Old 10-06-2013, 05:41 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I call this Hero to Zero. It took me a few laps to realise you overtake on the left in the hairpin. !/2 a lap later I lose it. First time I've done that on the track. I can see a line on the corner, wonder If I hit oil. As for the BMW, I think by that time she had had enough of me and stayed back Hero to Zero with title - YouTube
Please collect the L plates from Paul on Monday
Old 10-06-2013, 05:42 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Macca, we've had a couple of RSG HD days this year when it has been wet. On the first really wet one both Peter and I spun on turn 3. It was harmless but got me to slow down. I really enjoy the wet. I find you can feel the traction better at a slower speed and have to really concentrate on driving smoothly. IMO it serves as a better learning ground than in the dry where everything is faster and there's less time to think. I think I like it also because on R888's which are good in the wet and the Boxster platform I can keep up with the 911s and have a bit more fun chasing :-) I haven't had a wet day in the 987 yet.

I also have done a couple of weekends at Mt Cotton and simply loved the gymkhanas on that big wet truck training area... That was my favourite part. It beat the format of the PCNZ gymkhanas on the skid pan at HD. I reckon there's enough room on that skid pan at HD to have more of a mini track setup.... Although IMO it's a bit too slippery, pretty unrealistic with the silicon concrete surface. The wet ashphelt at Mt Cotton was more realistic and a hell of a lot of fun. I went in about 2005 and again in 2006. When did you go?
Old 10-06-2013, 05:47 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Highlands Park also have a sprinkler section.

If you're sensible wet driving/racing can be a lot of fun. I drive my 993 daily and so I'm often driving it home in the pouring rain and have a lot of confidence in it as a result after many a spirited run home in the wet
+1 to that. My 987 is a DD and I get plenty of wet practice in our Auckland weather.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Also agree on the Porsche Club driver training timing. I was told it is done then because the club can't get weekend dates at other times in the year.
Yeah that's what I was told. Im not sure its quite the full story....
Old 10-06-2013, 05:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Please collect the L plates from Paul on Monday
I will accept them with honour. Mind you that assumes Paul is willing to give them up. He was wearing them with pride on Saturday. Someone even asked about them, then reminded us they have to go in the rear screen.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:09 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-647414052.htm

And into the $50's 997's go.

Highish km's and would have to ask what happened to the original engine??
Old 10-06-2013, 06:18 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-647414052.htm

And into the $50's 997's go.

Ceramic brakes. I wonder what condition they are in after 125,000kms?
Old 10-06-2013, 06:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug. I did the 2 day Porsche Driving course in 2001. Great experience

The silicon concrete surface isn't the best for learning wet weather performance driving. Highlands sounds like a better set up. I wonder if we (RSG) could hire it half a day (afternoon) before the SITT track day there in March?

I have learnt to "enjoy" wet weather driving. It certainly sharpens the reflexes and gets you understanding about the loads you are placing on each corner of the car and how to transition them without upsetting the cars balance so I agree its overall a very useful skill set for all manner of driving. Driving on the autobahn in the wet at speed has probably been the height of my wet driving experience along with first day of Targa Tour.

One thing I will say Doug, having used the boxster platform on the Mt Cotton skidpan - its a much more manageable configuration than an old 911 in the wet. Very adjustable and nicely balanced, and I can see how you would enjoy keeping those **** engine'd **** cars honest in the wet LOL!
Old 10-06-2013, 01:52 PM
mjg
Pro

Doesn't seem that surprising. It's an M96/M97 engine, so any one of the many things that can go wrong with them, probably... not one of Stuttgart's finer designs. Early 997s should hold their values about as well as 996s did.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:36 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
Doesn't seem that surprising. It's an M96/M97 engine, so any one of the many things that can go wrong with them, probably... not one of Stuttgart's finer designs. Early 997s should hold their values about as well as 996s did.
Is the Gen II a different (better) engine??

I'm not across the finer points of these cars??
Old 10-06-2013, 06:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Is the Gen II a different (better) engine?? I'm not across the finer points of these cars??
When looking at the Turbo engine, I recall reading that a 2009 model Boxster had the issues fixed re earlier non metzger engines. Not sure about the 997.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:19 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I call this Hero to Zero. It took me a few laps to realise you overtake on the left in the hairpin. !/2 a lap later I lose it. First time I've done that on the track. I can see a line on the corner, wonder If I hit oil. As for the BMW, I think by that time she had had enough of me and stayed back Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXfmZTxj7Co
Still struggling to understand fully what happened here. I suspect it was a combination of coming in hotter than usual (no cars in front) lifting on the corner, and tyres that were pretty close to going off. Any other insights?
Old 10-06-2013, 08:36 PM
mjg
Pro

Is the Gen II a different (better) engine??

I'm not across the finer points of these cars??
Yeah, the 9x7.2s have the direct fuel injected 9A1 engine, which is a completely new design which (despite being fairly young) seems to be fairly problem free. No IMS, much improved cooling, better oiling.

Still struggling to understand fully what happened here. I suspect it was a combination of coming in hotter than usual (no cars in front) lifting on the corner, and tyres that were pretty close to going off. Any other insights?
What happened at the previous corner? Looks like maybe the car is still slightly unsettled as you turn in, then the back end comes around. The footage is shaky so it's hard to know what's chassis movement vs camera movement so I could be wrong. If you lifted due to coming in too hot that's going to move weight forward and contribute to lower grip at the rear -- classic 911 issue. If you're running the R compound tyres I'd be surprised if they were going off unless your pressures are wrong. You're only running 15 minute sessions or so, right?

When recording for later analysis it's useful to have a camera capturing your inputs, looking at the steering, brake and throttle inputs is important for deciphering what's happening with the car.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:02 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

It was not long after I passed the BMW and had a clear run. I braked later on the front straight and entered a moderate right hand sweeper with maybe 10/15 km/hr more than previous speeds. Hard to describe but it felt like the car was on it toes and really chuckable. Previously I only backed off that corner after the sweeper because I didn't want to hit the BMW. This time I had to button off because I wasn't sure I could make it comfortably. Only 10 min runs so we'll discount the tyres. Looks like driver error in controlling the attitude of the car.

As for temps. I run 32 hot front and rear. I measured them completely cold the next morning; fronts were 27 and rears 25. I checked them regularly during the meet. They were even front and rear after each session.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?