Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Still struggling to understand fully what happened here. I suspect it was a combination of coming in hotter than usual (no cars in front) lifting on the corner, and tyres that were pretty close to going off. Any other insights?
I believe you lifted off as the car was transitioning from right to left and this created the attitude Matt described to create the issue you experienced. Luckily you reacted quickly, weren't carrying too much speed and had the R compounds so you managed to catch it.

My experience was identical. I was carrying similar speed but it decided to bucket down before I hit the S's. That was almost 10 years ago so Id hope to not repeat the mistake now....
Old 10-06-2013, 10:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Any of the older cars still undecided about Trials, checkout the Festival of Speed schedule on 18/19 Jan. http://www.nzfmr.co.nz/info_pages.ph...ts/pages_id/43 Without a doubt Trials are the B act on the day, but imagine bombing a Ferrari festival with a group of 911s or 944s

Last edited by John McM; 10-06-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:11 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Boring show not go question but can anyone recommend an upholsterer in the Auckland (pref Nth Shore) area?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Boring show not go question but can anyone recommend an upholsterer in the Auckland (pref Nth Shore) area?
Vin Trim in Glenfield - been doing Porsches for years.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

For those of us experiencing grinding gears or difficult selection when the gearbox is hot, check out a thread I started on the race forum.

The cause is not gearbox design per se it's that we're operating the gearbox at high temps than normal use. The solutions are change gears slowly or fit an oil cooler to the transmission.

Macca, I only asked about 964 gearboxes. Not sure if your 6 speed design is dramatically different but it could be a cause of your issues as well.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Thanks for the heads up. I will go read your thread. The boys cannot find my issue. Ive just bought some Wevo semi solid engine mounts to replace my OEM RS ones in th evague hope it could be a shot mount or too much movement in the mounts now the tranny mount is the harder Porsche RSR one and I have the full RS shifter and ball jointed linkage. The wevo product was not particularly expensive and worth a shot. Otherwise we are stumped. They did improve some clearance with one particular heim joint I was concerned with but we honestly wont know if the more solid engine mounts or the additional joint clearance will have solved the issue until the SITT. After that its likely to be an internal gearbox issue (slip ring etc).

The symptoms are that under decellerating lateral (left or right) load I can move the stick from 3rd into the neutral plane but not slipe iinto 2nd (or 4th or 6th for that matter) gear. Its inder 1g+ load. If I heel and toe into a corner and slide into second in a straight line I can get into second but not when the car is loaded laterally as would happen over the hill at HD, during the flip flops at Taupo or literally anywhere in a wide sweeper where you want to change down (or up as it affects the gear box both ways). I think the issue started when I went to a fully solid shift set up but then I did so much stuff same time and never took the car on the track its hard to know. Its mainly under track day loads as I only had the issue twice on the whole targa and never have it on the road - even the fast Sunday drives with Ron & co - this is 1.2g-1.5g lateral type loads we are talking - not the loads you can get on chipseal easily even on the targa stages.

I know my engine is still moving a fair bit on teh track. After really pushing it in the last few sessions at Manfield the rear exhaust tip had drooped. Both them did the same after the HD track day in March. This had been tightened by CCS before the NITT with Rob making the comment "its not gonna move now". Yeah right! I would say there is still 1/4 inch movement under load. The RS mounts may be stiffer than factory jelly filled ones but they aren't up to the military spec of the rest of the car so need to be replaced to see if this is the problem. I do have the reinforced engine carrier (Rennline) so its well strengthened for track work.

I decided to replace the rear toe link arms with Rennline ball jointed units with dust caps and lock out plates. Way better for track use (cant loose kinematic toe like the factory ones) and also give better stability and feedback. They were cheaper than factory too and can be rebuilt.

Once fitted Ill have to have the back re geo'd by Pete. With the firmer mounts and hopefully improved shift Im hoping to enjoy the next track session more than ever. Slowly the car is coming together but there is still plenty of tuning to do to get it just right for each track, so lots of learning left....

Regards the 993 6 speed gearbox, I dont know how much it differs from the 864 one. Not much Id guess. If we are talking gear box and oil temps I really dont think any of us are yet getting the cars to the edge of the envelope in a 12-15 min session that could be causing such issues yet....

PS. Pete & John - I found out why your engine is now sitting 1/4 inch higher than it should. The 966/997 RSS engine mounts you have fitted have shorter end bolts to the 964/993 fitment. Was a common issue ion reverse when guys used the 964/993 ones for 996/997....shouldn't pose a problem tho...
Attached Images      
Old 10-07-2013, 10:03 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Mine definitely occurs later in the days sessions. I'd believe the heat issue in my case as it would take a long time for the oil to cool down.

On a different note, I'm ordering spacers so you can have yours back. They wrote "The biggest you can go with a stock stud would be 5mm but it will not be a hub centric spacer."

What the heck is 'hub centric' ?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. I just read your thread. Im not sure I can believe that CCS would let you go to the track with a new engine and not change the tranny fluid. Its like $90 job. If you seriously have never changed it since the last owner get it done today. You may find your issue improves.

The 5mm ring is the largest you can go before having to have a hub centric spacer. This is a spacer that bolts onto existing hub and has its own set of new studs. Adds weight and complexity so not ideal. The Porsche 5mm spacers I gave you are the largest size the factory recommend before going hub centric. However there are aftermarket suppliers making 7mm non hub centric spacers and I believe these will work on standard studs...
Old 10-08-2013, 12:48 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Desquealing Pagid Yellows

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
I'm using the Pagid yellow RS29 in the 996tt. As a daily drive I find the cold bite great, way better than I anticipated, but they squeal like hell under soft braking in traffic. I will probably end up swapping them in and out using them for track days and touring and standard Porsche pads the rest of the time.
Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
I'm using the Pagid yellow RS29 in the 996tt. As a daily drive I find the cold bite great, way better than I anticipated, but they squeal like hell under soft braking in traffic. I will probably end up swapping them in and out using them for track days and touring and standard Porsche pads the rest of the time.
Am running the same 'anti-social' RS19/29 pads on mine and was told the anti-squeal I asked Contis to apply in conjunction with a rotor change would just burn off on track so we left it off.

Ditching my OEM cross-drilled rotors for slotted Sebros at that same service though has massively reduced the squealing. A bonus since I only went slotted to last longer on track with less chance of catastrophic failure.

I'm not that good at locating high-pitched squeals so can't vouch for this but apparently the more lightly used back brakes tend to do most of the squealing so another suggestion was to leave the yellow fronts on and run RS14 blacks on the back instead. Some prefer that brake bias too as it loads the rear more.

Maybe the above will save you needing to swap pads back and forth. My previous pads were a mix of street Pagid and OEM Textar. The old rotors were sanded down with steel wool on going to the Yellows as they said the compounds likely weren't compatible. Swapping regularly might be a pain unless the compounds match up nicely.

Like you, I've liked them in the cold. The RS19/29s cold grip is graphed by Pagid as being fine for the lowest temperatures we normally see in the North Island (cold friction as good as some street only pads), and they have been good all winter. Bedding them in was a mission though. I'm not prone to motion sickness but felt pretty off colour for a while as you really have to rag on them intensively to get enough heat in.

I think someone may have said that these Yellows are the same as fitted OEM to GT3s but while the colour is the same and they are both Pagids, the part code and the compound of the RS19/29 are not the same. Makes sense as I wouldn't think the GT3s squealed that much out of the showroom - even for porkers...
Old 10-08-2013, 02:26 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vin Trim in Glenfield - been doing Porsches for years
Ta.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:08 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
PS. Pete & John - I found out why your engine is now sitting 1/4 inch higher than it should. The 966/997 RSS engine mounts you have fitted have shorter end bolts to the 964/993 fitment. Was a common issue ion reverse when guys used the 964/993 ones for 996/997....shouldn't pose a problem tho...
Shouldn't be - the end bolts were changed out at EP from the stock RSS bolts so that they matched the 964 directly.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:13 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Vin Trim in Glenfield - been doing Porsches for years.
Reckon they could remake/match a seat squab from a Racetech seat but make it lower?
Old 10-08-2013, 05:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=peterC2S;10814621]Shouldn't be - the end bolts were changed out at EP from the stock RSS bolts so that they matched the 964 directly.[/QUOT

Cant recall the thread now - found it when looking up Rennline solid engine mount. It may have been the pillow length (cone) that made the difference not the bolt....
Old 10-08-2013, 05:03 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Reckon they could remake/match a seat squab from a Racetech seat but make it lower?
Yup.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:25 PM
PHG
Racer

Hey Peter
do we have to have fire ext, overalls etc on 15th?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?