Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:16 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Hey Peter
do we have to have fire ext, overalls etc on 15th?
Cotton overalls, helmet and appropriate (closed) footwear. No extinguisher. Are you in? I've just e-mailed everyone else re payment, bank a/c etc so let me know if you need those details.

More details on Playday requirements here (ignore the payment bits as we take care of that via RSG)

http://www.playdayontrack.co.nz/faqs.html
Old 10-09-2013, 03:22 AM
O2GO
Drifting

We've discovered that we can't replace the IMS in my engine as Porsche changed the IMS design for model year 2006 onwards to a larger bearing that can't be extracted through the rear of the crankcase because it's a few mm too large for the hole (from memory 52mm vs 48mm). After removing the rear seal off the bearing it was found to be dry (grease leached out) but sound. We're going to leave the rear seal off so that it receives engine oil for lubrication. This is a well known improvement to the bearing to aid its lubrication. It's a pity it couldn't be replaced with a ceramic version as I'd then be able to rest a little easier. So we are back to regularly replacing the oil filter and cutting it open to inspect it for metal fragments.

I really wanted to get a 2009+ 987.2 model with the redesigned DFI engine which doesn't have an IMS but to find a Boxster S manual in this form NZ new is almost impossible. The only reliable option was to import one from the UK but when this car being 2007 NZ new 1 owner was a good compromise.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:31 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Each time I read of someone else's mechanical journey it brings back memories of the seemingly endless list of problems I had with the C4. All that faded the moment it was back on the track. Hope to see you in good form on the 2nd!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:56 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Each time I read of someone else's mechanical journey it brings back memories of the seemingly endless list of problems I had with the C4. All that faded the moment it was back on the track. Hope to see you in good form on the 2nd!
Thanks John. I'll be there for the twilight session next Tuesday then I'm off overseas, back on the 5th November so the 2nd will be the first RSG event I've missed I think. Looking forward to the sound of 6,500 rpm heading up the hill :-)
Old 10-09-2013, 04:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
We've discovered that we can't replace the IMS in my engine as Porsche changed the IMS design for model year 2006 onwards to a larger bearing that can't be extracted through the rear of the crankcase because it's a few mm too large for the hole (from memory 52mm vs 48mm). After removing the rear seal off the bearing it was found to be dry (grease leached out) but sound. We're going to leave the rear seal off so that it receives engine oil for lubrication. This is a well known improvement to the bearing to aid its lubrication. It's a pity it couldn't be replaced with a ceramic version as I'd then be able to rest a little easier. So we are back to regularly replacing the oil filter and cutting it open to inspect it for metal fragments.

I really wanted to get a 2009+ 987.2 model with the redesigned DFI engine which doesn't have an IMS but to find a Boxster S manual in this form NZ new is almost impossible. The only reliable option was to import one from the UK but when this car being 2007 NZ new 1 owner was a good compromise.
Doug. Just playing devils advocate here (and not what you want to hear I know) but is the 2006 987 platform really the best platform for your needs? Im just thinking with the track work you are doing in the next 6 months (SITT, maybe 4 HD days etc etc), fast road work and future demands(Targa Tour etc) on the car it would seem to me you may be tempting fate with the M97 power unit that's all....?
Old 10-09-2013, 05:19 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug. Just playing devils advocate here (and not what you want to hear I know) but is the 2006 987 platform really the best platform for your needs? Im just thinking with the track work you are doing in the next 6 months (SITT, maybe 4 HD days etc etc), fast road work and future demands(Targa Tour etc) on the car it would seem to me you may be tempting fate with the M97 power unit that's all....?
Hmmmm.... I've read heaps about the IMS over the last couple of years and this is my second M96 based car. Reading on some of the racing forums the cars, talking to experienced service people, those that are raced or driven hard rarely have the problems. Drive them hard and they last. Low mileage ones and those driven at low revs tend to be the problem cases. Yep, I'd have preferred the extra 15hp and the DFI engine.... But it will have to wait for a while.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:43 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Found that 8:08.

Crikey he makes it look easy. I'm scared just watching.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:44 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Ok...lighter question. Probably a question for Macca. I'm finishing off the exterior look before moving in on an interior strip. The easy decision has been made; the grille is getting a 3.6 badge.

The more difficult decision is the script. Tried the black plastic Carrera badge, but it doesn't work. There are three other choices, of which I have bought 2, but I'm still thinking about a custom 3.6 decal. Which font works best at first glance?
Attached Images      
Old 10-09-2013, 05:46 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

For those of us experiencing grinding gears or difficult selection when the gearbox is hot, check out a thread I started on the race forum.

The cause is not gearbox design per se it's that we're operating the gearbox at high temps than normal use. The solutions are change gears slowly or fit an oil cooler to the transmission.

Macca, I only asked about 964 gearboxes. Not sure if your 6 speed design is dramatically different but it could be a cause of your issues as well.
My 1st 993 had a lovely shift to the box however it was a lot newer lower km's than my currant 993 which was a bit baulky and at times graunched from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd. My Indy changed the gearbox oil but there was no improvement and then I had it changed again to the Redline MTL NS oil and there was a noticeable improvement. I had used this before on an EVO I owned. They were notorious for the synchro going on 5th and the Redline if you got it early enough got rid of the issue. My 2 cents worth.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:50 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jamie. Can you PM me with the Rennline MTL NS oil supplier details. I need to try that. Maybe get some up to Dean at CCS in the next week...
Old 10-09-2013, 05:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Hmmmm.... I've read heaps about the IMS over the last couple of years and this is my second M96 based car. Reading on some of the racing forums the cars, talking to experienced service people, those that are raced or driven hard rarely have the problems. Drive them hard and they last. Low mileage ones and those driven at low revs tend to be the problem cases. Yep, I'd have preferred the extra 15hp and the DFI engine.... But it will have to wait for a while.
Hey Doug. I figured you'd have a better knowledge on this than me. It sounds like you have done your homework and as you say you have already run a M96 car at the track extensively with no issues. It was your experience that thought to check the oil filter in the first instance and identify the bearing before it became an issue.

The Speedster version of the boxster really interests me as a track car along with a Cayman R (the new one when its launched would be the perfect track car). I know someone on RL with a Speedster thingy and he is an awesome driver often pacing up with 997.1 GT3 at Thunderhill etc. Its pretty much bone stock. Great platform but as you say not so practical day to day. Im assuming it has the later DFI engine. At least they still are available with 6 speed although I believe they have gone to the full electric steering which gets a bit of flack in the forums and press...
Old 10-09-2013, 06:08 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok...lighter question. Probably a question for Macca. I'm finishing off the exterior look before moving in on an interior strip. The easy decision has been made; the grille is getting a 3.6 badge.

The more difficult decision is the script. Tried the black plastic Carrera badge, but it doesn't work. There are three other choices, of which I have bought 2, but I'm still thinking about a custom 3.6 decal. Which font works best at first glance?
If this is for the boot lid, I'd go with the first option - the red carrera script. Otherwise it will clash with your side decals. I would trust designer Dave's opinion more than mine though....
Old 10-09-2013, 06:13 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Jamie. Can you PM me with the Rennline MTL NS oil supplier details. I need to try that. Maybe get some up to Dean at CCS in the next week...
I have Dean on the hunt as well. Maybe a double effort.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. My personal view is to use a modern font "Carrera" transfer in red Ias on the white 991 Cabrio picture) on the rear deck lid in a similar position to how it would have been position don your original steel deck lid. I wouldnt add 3.6, you already have it on teh grill and it will look too busy next o the "carrera".

I think you need to be careful not to over badge the car. The issue I see with my recommendation above is that the script is modern like what would have been on a 964 vs the Carrera script down the side of your car which is the older 70s font. I see however you have that cont carrera sticker available so maybe thats the one to go with.

Ive been so tempted to sticker my car up over the years - so much so Ive got a huge box full of decals Ive never fitted, Any I have have lasted days until I realize less is more.

For the NITT I put on one of my 911-50 stickers on the rear window. This was going out there for me. I originally bought a handful of these to use where my "anniversary" logo is on the rear guard bottom skirt...but again I chickened out...but I was so happy with it on the rear window because when I looked through the rear mirror the logo could be seen and the red caught the light and looked great...sometimes its the small individual touches you make youll like the most...
Attached Images   
Old 10-09-2013, 06:17 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Yeah, the Boxster spider is awesome... Because of the extra lightness (1275kg, no elecric roof, no air con, no stereo) +10hp, lowered stiffer suspension really made the platform sing. Watch top gear review it on YouTube. They loved how they could throw it around. Yes, they we're 2009+ so DFI.

The electric steering felt fine to me when I did a few hundred fast kms in the 981. The 981 Boxster S or Cayman S are stunning if you have at least $100k to spend. I'm trying to wait 3 years for the prices to come down :-)

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?