Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

I agree on the height. However, that will be looked at when the basic systems are all working as they should be.

I am getting there incrementally. What has changed now is my mindset. I've done my shakedown andI will not be happy to go to the track again until it's 100%. There's not much to do, but given my track interval is 5 working days, I'm not going to push if.

No problem, I just alternate with the 996TT when the 964 is being fettled. Truth be known, I can see both cars on the track for some time to come.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No problems John. You have two weeks to get it sorted then Ill need the space at CCS for the 993 which will be in for two weeks having 23 different tasks performed on it LOL!

AS long as you have her at the 7th HD day. I want to see this car!

John. Question came up on the committee last night re RSG members. Are you with Prestigio on track for both the 996TT & 964? We are trying to figure how many with Presigio....
Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
No problems John. You have two weeks to get it sorted then Ill need the space at CCS for the 993 which will be in for two weeks having 23 different tasks performed on it LOL!

AS long as you have her at the 7th HD day. I want to see this car!

John. Question came up on the committee last night re RSG members. Are you with Prestigio on track for both the 996TT & 964? We are trying to figure how many with Presigio....
It should be there on the 7th. I'm not tempting fate by being definitive about anything!

As for insurance, I run at my own risk on all cars at the track.

Last edited by John McM; 07-16-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks John. I will put up a Poll on RSG board. I believe about 8 of us are with Prestigo and we are talking with them soon to expand the group so need to get an idea of how important insurance is on the track for the group etc...
Old 07-16-2013, 09:12 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Insurance, and 996T fuel

Macca - I'm also with Prestigio and would love more track cover than just DE days. Will follow up at RSG.

FloatingKiwi - re what fuel is best for the 996T (maybe methanol? ), I can only let you know what I do. I run 98, usually BP98. Little bit extra power and mileage but significantly better protection against detonation should any accidental overleaning occur (whether running out of fuel at full throttle, a stuck wastegate or whatever other scenarios may feed into it accidentally running too lean). The ECU will pull timing to protect the engine too but I see 98 as a bit of cheap extra insurance.

Afetr accidentally filling at Gull, I recently researched whether the 996T was designed to accept E10 blends like Gull and got mixed results. On balance, it looks like it can accept it, but I still think you're better to run pure petrol 98 if possible. If choosing between just 95 and E10 98, I'd probably run the E10.

It looks to be bad though to leave ethanol blends sitting unused in the tank for long periods as ethanol picks up water which can corrode internal fuel systems. Particularly a problem the first time you fill with it as it picks up any water that may have built up under your nomal petrol over time.

If wanting to run higher blends like E85 (for more power but poorer mileage), then you'd need to upgrade a number of fuel system components or you'd hit trouble with it eroding seals, diaphragms and the like before long. Upgrade kits are available.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Where did you buy the SRF? How many liters are needed and how much is it? I have a brake fluid change due with the other work and may as well do this too...
Old 07-16-2013, 09:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Macca - I'm also with Prestigio and would love more track cover than just DE days. Will follow up at RSG.

FloatingKiwi - re what fuel is best for the 996T (maybe methanol? ), I can only let you know what I do. I run 98, usually BP98. Little bit extra power and mileage but significantly better protection against detonation should any accidental overleaning occur (whether running out of fuel at full throttle, a stuck wastegate or whatever other scenarios may feed into it accidentally running too lean). The ECU will pull timing to protect the engine too but I see 98 as a bit of cheap extra insurance.

Afetr accidentally filling at Gull, I recently researched whether the 996T was designed to accept E10 blends like Gull and got mixed results. On balance, it looks like it can accept it, but I still think you're better to run pure petrol 98 if possible. If choosing between just 95 and E10 98, I'd probably run the E10.

It looks to be bad though to leave ethanol blends sitting unused in the tank for long periods as ethanol picks up water which can corrode internal fuel systems. Particularly a problem the first time you fill with it as it picks up any water that may have built up under your nomal petrol over time.

If wanting to run higher blends like E85 (for more power but poorer mileage), then you'd need to upgrade a number of fuel system components or you'd hit trouble with it eroding seals, diaphragms and the like before long. Upgrade kits are available.
996tnz. Prestigio will cover the RSG guys as part of the Porsche Playday Track Group (shortly to be re named Rennsport Gruppe). There are certain restrictions (they will not cover a race car, timing gear isnt allowed and there is a larger excess). From next month you will see RSG advertised as a group on Playdays literature. If Playdays run a "Prestige" group you may also be covered.

One of our RSG members has already tried out the Prestigio policy at HD and they performed well.

If you wish to run with the RSG guys you will almost certainly need to become a paid member of the RSG group as its becoming increasingly obvious that demand is outstripping supply!

With regard to your points on fuel the Bosch Motronics should retard the timing if you have a low octane fuel in the tank. However I agree 100% - 98 or nothing is preference on the track where the engine is being run very hard/hot.

For E85 you need much more than just a gasket kit for an air cooled 911 at least. Seans done some research on this and there are very few older 911s running E85 anywhere. You need a new fuel pressure rail, injectors, fuel pump, all lines and in needs to be tuned on an aftermarket computer. E85 runs different temperatures and much different combustion...

E10 should be ok for occasional use but I wouldn't use it regularly for reasons as you state...
Old 07-16-2013, 09:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John. Where did you buy the SRF? How many liters are needed and how much is it? I have a brake fluid change due with the other work and may as well do this too...
Contis sourced it. $300 ex GST to fill the 964. Not cheap, but the 996TT is getting its fill done today as well as I think it's cheap insurance and it's brakes that have limited me at both recent runs. I'm staying with standard pads though.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Wow. $150 a litre. More expensive than Dom Perignon!

The only issue I had with my brakes was that the pedal was a bit soft coming back on track after a break. lasted a few pumps only. I assumed as the fluid hadnt been done for 2 years and had done a Targa it was water in the fluid and the heat was bringing the issue to the fore. Didnt have any problems with the factory pads either.

I will look into this. As I have to do the fluid anyway it does sound like a worth while precaution with perhaps 8 track days between now and end of March...
Old 07-16-2013, 10:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Wow. $150 a litre. More expensive than Dom Perignon!

The only issue I had with my brakes was that the pedal was a bit soft coming back on track after a break. lasted a few pumps only. I assumed as the fluid hadnt been done for 2 years and had done a Targa it was water in the fluid and the heat was bringing the issue to the fore. Didnt have any problems with the factory pads either.

I will look into this. As I have to do the fluid anyway it does sound like a worth while precaution with perhaps 8 track days between now and end of March...
As I understand it, SRF is more tolerant of moisture in that it has a high wet boiling point My pedal was deemed to soft to do round three at the PCNZ Day so I only did 12 laps. This should stop a repeat of that.

BTW: 996 tiptronic fluid is also up there. I remember seeing the bill at $90 per litre and that was not at Contis...
Old 07-16-2013, 10:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Id recommend upgrading the brake lines to steel braided. Goodrich ones aren't expensive at all (maybe $150 usd a full set). It may also be your 20 year old brake lines are partly at fault....
Old 07-16-2013, 10:30 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John. Id recommend upgrading the brake lines to steel braided. Goodrich ones aren't expensive at all (maybe $150 usd a full set). It may also be your 20 year old brake lines are partly at fault....
Probably are, but it was the 996TT that had to come in early. The 964 was still going strong after 18 laps.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Oh. Gotcha. Maybe new fluid is all that's needed....
Old 07-16-2013, 11:27 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SRF and ABS seals

Thinking of changing to SRF but came across this which suggests Porsche thinks it is less seal friendly than Castrol states:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ak-fluids.html

Not as worried about the caliper seals as they are easy to service but not as keen to have ABS seals in the 996T needing replacing. Has anyone here - had trouble with seals after running SRF for a good period?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I'm still getting over the cost of this stuff per litre! Ive been changing my brake fluid in this car every 2 years for the last 13 and have no idea what the standard stuff they put in costs or how many litres required....

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?