Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
A lot more reasonable to own than this at $380,000 http://www.jzmporsche.com/porsche-fo...8-for-sale-541
John that's your original colour - Horizon Blue! Very low km & clean. Crazy money eh. The 964T is definitely technically now a "Show car" not a Go car. Its ridiculous that its worth more than a mint 964RS tho. The aircooled market is starting to show all the signs of a bubble aye. Get out while it lasts if the cash is important. Otherwise like the most of us its about making your money elsewhere and buying cars to drive and enjoy. I know you agree.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:18 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Love the bike. Had a Duke 996 until a couple of years ago. Never got a chance to ride it and never on the track. Dean at CCS rode it for a few years for me. He liked it.
Originally Posted by 996tnz

I too have a soft spot for them (hard not to with my handle) but for now it's just limited to a model 996 I have at work, with Carl Fogarty aboard.
And so do I. I've had a few. This is my last in road trim just before I sold her. Gone but not forgotten. Man, I loved that bike

Old 05-16-2014, 06:24 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

John that's your original colour - Horizon Blue! Very low km & clean. Crazy money eh. The 964T is definitely technically now a "Show car" not a Go car. Its ridiculous that its worth more than a mint 964RS tho. The aircooled market is starting to show all the signs of a bubble aye. Get out while it lasts if the cash is important. Otherwise like the most of us its about making your money elsewhere and buying cars to drive and enjoy. I know you agree.
Yes, the original colour. Still prefer Polar Silver. Having pulled the struts and sills out of the Turbo 3.6 I'm amazed by how thorough the repaint was. If someone is an$l enough to take it back to bare metal and Horizon Blue then they can go for it. Won't happen on my watch.

I think this is a bubble, evidenced by the emotional buying. I'm not getting caught up in it. There will come a day I need the money, but that's not in the foreseeable future. I'll keep Helga tidy and complete, but she's not going to her next owner having been kept in cotton wool. Right one I'm looking at weekend drives in her. Hawkes Bay is very doable.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Macca, talk to Ron and Chris at the end of this Targa before you decide. Seems a shame not to use the GT3. You'll probably have Richard in his too.
Doug. That's just my point.

You need to compare my smile with theirs at the end of the event! I like to sing for my supper.

However I confess the "get off the plane, get in it, drive it ragged and drop it into storage on the way to the airport" reliability appeal of a new car is starting to nag on me....
Old 05-16-2014, 06:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, 964RS for close to $1,000,000 http://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/...rs/1991/191071
Old 05-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Walt. Great bike write up.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Macca, 964RS for close to $1,000,000 http://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/...rs/1991/191071
John. Ive priced my 993 for $2 million NZD (its not on the market officially you understand).

You get what I mean.

If you are a PistonHeads regular you will know that these cars with dream numbers are headliners. The last few 964RS sold from PH members sold around 140 GBP from memory.

Im sorry, my POV is individual and differs from many, Ill say that upfront and I can generally afford to get into just about anything I want (within reason) but honestly only the insane and super wealthy would spend 380K on a 964T or 964RS. For $380K I could buy a fleet of used exotics for different pursuits, a brand new bespoke Singer (as long as I found the money for the doner and shipping) or buy a brand new Gt3 a brand new F82 M3 etc. Im sorry. No 964T is worth 380K IMO, nor a 964 RS. I can build a 964RS replica for 180K and you wont tell it from the real deal. Sure it wont have **** value but thats the part of the ownership experience I like the least so happy for others to pay a premium to have it...
Old 05-16-2014, 06:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes, the original colour. Still prefer Polar Silver. Having pulled the struts and sills out of the Turbo 3.6 I'm amazed by how thorough the repaint was. If someone is an$l enough to take it back to bare metal and Horizon Blue then they can go for it. Won't happen on my watch.

I think this is a bubble, evidenced by the emotional buying. I'm not getting caught up in it. There will come a day I need the money, but that's not in the foreseeable future. I'll keep Helga tidy and complete, but she's not going to her next owner having been kept in cotton wool. Right one I'm looking at weekend drives in her. Hawkes Bay is very doable.
^^^ Agree with your POV here. Looks like we cross posted...

Its a shame but I see a time in the future where even my lowly C2 993 will become a burden value wise to throw around the track and take on Targa Tour. To me that's the biggest shame of owning the car. The fact that in time it gets relegated to "collectors item". The only reason I own them is to drive them. I dont have a garage downstairs to go and purve at them all evening over a glass of single malt. When they stop getting used they are of no value to me regardless of what the market says. If you want to make money there is property, equities, bonds, commodities & currency all of which can provide you with a better fiscal return over 10 years than a low volume 911. I can only hope that I get enough time out of the 993 that Ive slowed down a bit by the time it needs a repaint and a slower pace of life LOL!
Old 05-16-2014, 07:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
And so do I. I've had a few. This is my last in road trim just before I sold her. Gone but not forgotten. Man, I loved that bike

Bloody sex that's what that is! I cant look at these pictures any more. Its what got me into trouble first time around!
Attached Images   
Old 05-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

All this motorbike talk... Maybe a track day coming up. I'd bring this but don't tempt me to get the garage monster out. That would be lethal (in a massive frame failure sort of way around turn 1)
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2014, 07:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Mate you need to read "Going Postal" a book about taking that bike across the globe. We have tonnes of those over here and they are bulletproof. Ive just started the book. Good for a laugh....
Old 05-16-2014, 07:55 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
All this motorbike talk... Maybe a track day coming up. I'd bring this but don't tempt me to get the garage monster out. That would be lethal (in a massive frame failure sort of way around turn 1)
Maybe we can take some bicycles out to HD and set a lap record?
Old 05-16-2014, 08:05 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John. Ive priced my 993 for $2 million NZD (its not on the market officially you understand). You get what I mean. If you are a PistonHeads regular you will know that these cars with dream numbers are headliners. The last few 964RS sold from PH members sold around 140 GBP from memory. Im sorry, my POV is individual and differs from many, Ill say that upfront and I can generally afford to get into just about anything I want (within reason) but honestly only the insane and super wealthy would spend 380K on a 964T or 964RS. For $380K I could buy a fleet of used exotics for different pursuits, a brand new bespoke Singer (as long as I found the money for the doner and shipping) or buy a brand new Gt3 a brand new F82 M3 etc. Im sorry. No 964T is worth 380K IMO, nor a 964 RS. I can build a 964RS replica for 180K and you wont tell it from the real deal. Sure it wont have **** value but thats the part of the ownership experience I like the least so happy for others to pay a premium to have it...
Yes, I know where you are coming from. Although the Turbo 3.6 had an offer at £175,000 and turned it down so at least that's close to market. I suspect the uber cars are going to collectors, not drivers, and they can afford a no stories one. A repaint with 60,000 miles will never be there, although 'the tide lifts all boats'. Many owners are using the price increases as a rationale to look after their cars better, which is partly where I'm coming from.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I was offered a Maritime Blue 964RS one owner with 4000km on the clock (sport bucket seats) in Zurich. I spent 20 minutes checking it out. It was perfect. 70 year old owner bought it as gift form himself when he retired at 50. Looked after my the Porsche workshop I used in Zurich. Was probably one of the best LHD genuine documented low km RS in the world. Wasnt for sale at the time I looked at it but i was offered it in Feb 2014 for 200K CHF. I passed on it and offered it up to a couple of wealthy collectors including Matt (on this board) as well as a couple of others with the means. The car was sold last month for almost the asking price minus the swiss tax for canton Zurich = 8%. As Matt and others would be aware this was superaltive example - better than the 10,000km $1 million example you posted.

So 200k CHF. Thats 130K GBP. Thats about what they are worth IMO in that condition although I appreciate the market has run up a bit since March when the car was sold but thats why Im am being warned by folk like my swiss contacts that the market is reaching a bubble. Consensus is when Europe markets pick up pace things will change. I know my European stocks have posed over 19% gains this year so things are heading slowly in the right direction...

Not very good sorry camera phone...

P.S. John I know its only of passing interest to you but even if you can get 100K GBP net for your car today you should seriously consider doing a deal with Thomas Scmidt (although he prefers RS & GT2) or another similar collector. Actually i can probably put you in touch with some swiss that will broker your car into UK as long as you leave some margin for them. I think you could still net 90K GBP from the deal clean. PM off line if you want an intro. If you are considering the future value Id suggest netting around 200K right now will look quite reasonable medium term. Having said that you still get enjoyment from it and dont need the money so perhaps its really not worth worrying about it. Stop looking at the classified and you'll probably enjoy the car even more IMO.
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2014, 09:14 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Team talk before the next stage Name:  image-3960252790.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  522.0 KB

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?