Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 04:44 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I really like that colour David...
Agree. Dave, you must be working into the small hours on your car and it's paying off.

I did nothing on my car except wash and drive it today. Even took it shopping at Mitre 10. The new gear shift bushes tightened up my shift. Now I need the engine mounts checked as I suspect the engine is moving on turn 9 giving me trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd at times. Waiting to see what Steve R's deal is first before ordering anything more from offshore. Can't wait to get back out there and see how much I can shave off my times. In the meantime I'm driving Scott nuts. He texts his appreciation of the cup pipe when I go past.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:49 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw your car at CCS today Macca. The roll cage is looking very nice. It was parked next to NZs only 930 which is in for a mystery electrical fault. Your 993 looked so nice.

I have their demonstrator 981 manual S out and its sitting in my garage overnight. Went for several runs around Hunua. The car handles amazingly and the engine sounds great at 6,000+ RPM. Bloody tempting after the standard 986 experience of the last couple of years. Would love to try it out at HD.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:30 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DOH I meant 959 not 930.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:52 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-2049410&Cr=10
Its the link that Paul posted yesterday. This car has been advertised by the classic throttle guys in Sydney a few times in the past couple of years. Anyway just thought there might be a good strategy in there. Worth a call anyway to the guys at PR Tech that build it.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:20 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
DOH I meant 959 not 930.
That car is a permanent feature at CCS. They should charge storage.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:47 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Agree. Dave, you must be working into the small hours on your car and it's paying off.

I did nothing on my car except wash and drive it today. Even took it shopping at Mitre 10. The new gear shift bushes tightened up my shift. Now I need the engine mounts checked as I suspect the engine is moving on turn 9 giving me trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd at times. Waiting to see what Steve R's deal is first before ordering anything more from offshore. Can't wait to get back out there and see how much I can shave off my times. In the meantime I'm driving Scott nuts. He texts his appreciation of the cup pipe when I go past.
John, thats exactly the same problem I was having with baulking between second and third. Couldn't rush it. With new mounts this has completely sorted it.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:03 AM
Maxem
Drifting

The other side. Should have gone a bit darker. Might have to refinish if the dent removal buggers the paint.
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2013, 07:43 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
John, thats exactly the same problem I was having with baulking between second and third. Couldn't rush it. With new mounts this has completely sorted it.
Good to hear. I have no issues with gear changes on any other corner but that one. If I shift too quickly I get nothing. If I keep pressure on until I feel the gears mesh then I have have no problems. The obvious problem with that is that I can't afford to lose time off the throttle. I thought it might be due to the engine moving on its mounts.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:50 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doug. Thanks for the kind words. Im sure in reality it looks a bit of a mess right now after two weeks in the shop and suspension and bits still not set up etc.

That 981S is a really brilliant car and with the right colour and wheel package they look killer to me and I prefer the aesthetic to the 991 personally. If they did a light weight spider version like last time it would be the perfect track wepon. A Cayman R would be tempting too but no where as purdy as the Boxster IMO.

That 959 has been keeping my car company for the last 5 years! As John says its at CCS virtually 100% of the time generally due to some issue or another. Its one of the highest mileage 959s in the world - when Mike bought it it had 120k km on it and now more form memory! Wheel pressure sensors and then ABS and electrical issues - one of the most complex 26 year old cars you could hope to own - fun to look at but not keep on the rod - not in NZ anyhow...

Graeme - Gotcha now. Yes its been for sale for a long long time and I like your creative strategy so I will follow this up and see if there is an opportunity there. Good thinking mate...

John. I see your Avatar has changed. You did the black rings around the headlights. Did you also have the RS tail finished and pained now? Looking forward to seeing the evolution when I return in a few weeks...

Dave Im liking the battleship grey matt wheels too (or is it the same colour in a different light). Liking your style here. Cant wait to have a beer and share some ideas for this car. I have a "toolkit" of many many ideas I researched and didnt go through with for my ride and I think a few may definitely work for you tastes and goals with the 964....or they are simply too naff
Old 08-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. I was having teh exact same issues as you but on two particular parts of the track. Ive had the issue a while and its not the engine mounts or the tranny mount or sift linkages as these have all been upgraded to factory RS/Cup items. If for some reason it doesnt turn out to be the mounts talk to young Rob as he sent me a crypic photograph of my shift mount area and said he thinks he nailed the problem - issue is when I asked what it was got no specific reply just that it was a relatively easy fix! here was the picture but not sure what is missing or broken unless someone else has a better eye than me. Could be the seal I guess. Your issue is probably the engine mounts (if they havent been replaced they will be worn) but if not remember this one for later...
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2013, 08:01 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The black rings are a cheap mod, just remove the painted rings. I sent an email to Topline, but no reply. I will likely run it in gelcoat until after the NITT, which is less than 4 weeks away.
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2013, 08:03 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Yep, it's called sandstone grey. Powdercoat is a great finish. Not that great for metallics but any solid colour comes up well. Modern powders have a nice waxy finish too for easy clean. It can be done badly though. In my game we powdercoat tonnes of light wall aluminium extrusion which heats up fast and it is the heat in the metal that cures the powder. A large alloy wheel has to reach about 200c and if it doesn't the powder doesn't stick so well. Pretreatment is important too.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

David. Handy guy to know. Next experiment alloy brake calipers!

John. Im liking your car with the black white monochrome theme. Thought of changing your carrera script to black? Clear indicator corners? Red calipers for a bit of pop along with the red window screen banner?. Once you change those springs and get the duck painted its going to all come together nicely...
Old 08-17-2013, 06:05 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
David. Handy guy to know. Next experiment alloy brake calipers!

John. Im liking your car with the black white monochrome theme. Thought of changing your carrera script to black? Clear indicator corners? Red calipers for a bit of pop along with the red window screen banner?. Once you change those springs and get the duck painted its going to all come together nicely...
It is a moving target and I'm taking the long term view. Get it reliable, get my times down, then refine the stance etc. To me there are three major tranches.

1. Ergonomics - have to feel comfortable to drive with confidence - steering wheel, gear shift, pedals, seat and harness.

2. Systems - suspension, brakes, steering

3. Cosmetics - the look.

Right now in order of priority I'm working through ergonomics. The one I'm most stumped by at the moment is the seat. Sean's set up doesn't seem to have the head room I need and he mentioned the issue with base width and the tunnel constrictions.

Most important of all is that I have a car to drive on the 31st and plenty of time to refine it over Summer.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:05 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

John
I can see you car is going to be the start of a nice but also big project Looking good tho. Plenty of time cos that list of yours is going to have some $$$ items on it. Think Macca's advice is good though take more time to carefully select items so you don't have to upgrade again. Especially things like suspension...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?