Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 04:30 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Bang for buck not really - and would be a great entry to racing. Walk first, run next.

Paul - do you know how big a shunt the blue one had? Have you seen it recently?
I didn't know it had a shunt, I saw it at the NZFS earlier this year.

You can't go racing with a GT3 (unless you buy a cup car). That has a $70K entry and $30Kp/a maintenance budget, so serious money.........

The thing with a 944S2 is there are several in the Porsche series at any one time, so you can race with similar cars.You can also race a 944S2 in TACCOC and NZFS, which is a bigger race series than Porsche.

For me, It's about creating as many opportunities to go racing in as many classes as possible. Building a retro 3.0 RSR would be ideal, but $150K is a lot more than $25K.

If money was no object - I would race something like this...........

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-2049410&Cr=10

Last edited by kiwi 911; 08-16-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Macca, with all these go faster bits, you better be fast mate...........
Paul, Yeah. I feel quite the impostor having done only one proper track day in my whole life - 29th March 2013 at HD!

Now the 11th Sept is cancelled, the fact is Im unlikely to make another HD event until maybe September 2014 - so we will have to speculate LOL. My guess is with the car set up properly I would have been in the 1.18 range and here's the reasoning....

My best recorded lap (lap 4 starting 1.07 pm) on my only ever HD day was 1.22 (See attached screen shots from GoPro - not AIM GPS accurate Im afraid). This was the lap before I overtook John in the 996 turbo (1.24 lap). My fastest lap of the day was at least 1 second faster than this in my 6th session at the end of the day (this time with Ray in the car for tution) - where I hooked up a really clean lap with no traffic and just got the majority of it right - Ray remarked it was by far my fastest lap of the day. By then the GoPro was flat so its like the fish that got away but Id estimate 1.20-1.21...

I think its a fair effort.

I was seriously hoping that next time at HD - now with the Hankook 221s, weight reduction of 150 kg plus some improved suspension settings and a little more chassis stiffness via strut brace and half cage I could be comfortably in the 1.18s .... This assumes I haven't forgotten all I learned first time out and conditions are dry etc but Ive been mentally driving HD for months now to get to sleep and I think I have all the shift and load points worked out clearly in my mind.

Perhaps well never know.....
Attached Images   
Old 08-16-2013, 05:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Just before I put this on TM tomorrow anyone want my old CF strut brace for $225 (you pick it up from CCS). Cost me $400 landed and its just like brand new....fits 964 and 993 perfect....
Attached Images   
Old 08-16-2013, 07:27 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul, Yeah. I feel quite the impostor having done only one proper track day in my whole life - 29th March 2013 at HD!

Now the 11th Sept is cancelled, the fact is Im unlikely to make another HD event until maybe September 2014 - so we will have to speculate LOL. My guess is with the car set up properly I would have been in the 1.18 range and here's the reasoning....

My best recorded lap (lap 4 starting 1.07 pm) on my only ever HD day was 1.22 (See attached screen shots from GoPro - not AIM GPS accurate Im afraid). This was the lap before I overtook John in the 996 turbo (1.24 lap). My fastest lap of the day was at least 1 second faster than this in my 6th session at the end of the day (this time with Ray in the car for tution) - where I hooked up a really clean lap with no traffic and just got the majority of it right - Ray remarked it was by far my fastest lap of the day. By then the GoPro was flat so its like the fish that got away but Id estimate 1.20-1.21...

I think its a fair effort.

I was seriously hoping that next time at HD - now with the Hankook 221s, weight reduction of 150 kg plus some improved suspension settings and a little more chassis stiffness via strut brace and half cage I could be comfortably in the 1.18s .... This assumes I haven't forgotten all I learned first time out and conditions are dry etc but Ive been mentally driving HD for months now to get to sleep and I think I have all the shift and load points worked out clearly in my mind.

Perhaps well never know.....
Aaah...........Macca, Pete and I will gladly take turns to see if either of us can get your car doing a 1.18 on your behalf - what are mates for??

If you were doing 1.22s on the crap tires, you will pull a 1.18 on fresh 221's.........

I don't know what flights cost, but you need to come back for a Playday weekend early next year.

Sept will be the 'leveler' and will see how much quicker your car is than others as none of us know Taupo or Manfield??
Old 08-16-2013, 07:38 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Mate, you are reading my mind. Looking at both those at the moment and have got a bit of info on them plus the 968 that Steve has (green one). 1 each? Or would it be a dumb idea to go halves?
Oooh, that slippery slope is starting to look pretty steep! Go for it I say, it's not a lot of money in the big scheme of things and I think you'd get a lot of enjoyment for your $. I've seen that green 968 and it looked the part, and has had lots of $$$ put into it from what I hear.

On this note, I've been wondering who is going to be the first to crack and rip out their car's interior... my money's on Dave B
Old 08-16-2013, 07:50 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Aaah...........Macca, Pete and I will gladly take turns to see if either of us can get your car doing a 1.18 on your behalf - what are mates for??
It sounds like Macca will be needing someone to give his car a shakedown actually... might as well be you and Pete. Pick up from CCS on August 31, quick blast out to HD, thorough spanking on the track, and back before dark. All as a favour for Macca, obviously!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:52 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Macca that blue rsr in aussie has been on the market for a while. You could make a bid on the 400hp 3.8 engine ? he can always put the 3.2 in which is closer to original anyway.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Macca: every time I see pictures of your car (and particularly that magazine article) I think "that car's too nice to be on the track!". I can't wait to have a good close perv at it during the NITT -- not on the track though, I'll be leaving you plenty of room for overtaking!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

If you were doing 1.22s on the crap tires, you will pull a 1.18 on fresh 221's.........

I don't know what flights cost, but you need to come back for a Playday weekend early next year.

Sept will be the 'leveler' and will see how much quicker your car is than others as none of us know Taupo or Manfield??
You and Pete would be much quicker than me at HD in the 993 for sure. You were 1-2 seconds faster than me when we went around together and that was on overheated street tyres with plenty of traffic. Id imagine your be putting in 1.16s on the 993 now Paul once CCS have finished with it this month. Consistency is also key. My best recorded lap may have been 1.22 on the 29th but within a single 8+ lap session the camera shows I was varying by up to 4s a across the sessio, dependent partly on traffic and partly due to stuff ups on my behalf (many!).

Im still gutted I wont get to give HD another go for a year. I was itching to see if I could clock into the 1.18s best lap assuming after talking to others here perhaps 1 second for the 130-50kg reduction and 2 seconds for the tyres and maybe 1s for set up and improved driver performance second time out. Of course I could also have been slower LOL!

Im in NZ for 2 weeks Sept (NITT), then in Europe 7 weeks driving holiday Nov-Jan (will do the Targa Floria course for fun) and back for 3 weeks in March (SITT). I just cant fit another NZ trip in until Oct 2014 (Targa?) the way things are looking right now.

Im taking it easy on the NITT. Everything will be a little different now handling wise with the car as the suspension has been changed a bit and the tyres alot too. There are at least 6 in our group that have driven taupo & manfield so Ill be leaving it up to you pros to show the rest of us the way....Ill be starting at the back of the grid like last time.

Michael, thanks for the kind words re the car. Its really not as tidy (cosmetic pain wise) any longer as the magazine article shows or you may imagine. Those pictures were taken a few years ago before Targa & track etc and its now covered in the usual road rash you get when something gets a used hard LOL! However you arent entirely wrong, its a very straight, lowish km NZ 993 manual with no "history" and over six figures "invested" over the base car and would be almost impossible to replace. However if I start to think about it I wont use it and if I dont use it as it was modified and intended, quite frankly with my time in NZ limited to perhaps 25-30 days a year I may as well sell it. Thats how I see it anyhow...
Old 08-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
Macca that blue rsr in aussie has been on the market for a while. You could make a bid on the 400hp 3.8 engine ? he can always put the 3.2 in which is closer to original anyway.
Hi Graeme do you have a link?

I wonder if that's on race fuel or pump. There arent many folk building a 400 bhp 3.8 road engine runs on pump in the world, I know that from my research. Fewer still that can prove the number on an engine dyno. That's 105 bhp per litre in an old air cooled engine on 98RON. Doable but cutting edge when you consider the 4.0RS and 991 GT3 have been highly praised for hitting the 125 bhpLitre mark. I remember only 10 years ago beating 100 bhp per litre for a road car was something very special. My car makes only 83 bhp per Litre by comparison!
Old 08-16-2013, 04:59 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Oooh, that slippery slope is starting to look pretty steep! Go for it I say, it's not a lot of money in the big scheme of things and I think you'd get a lot of enjoyment for your $. I've seen that green 968 and it looked the part, and has had lots of $$$ put into it from what I hear.

On this note, I've been wondering who is going to be the first to crack and rip out their car's interior... my money's on Dave B
Maybe a bit more to come out, but like I said when I started this project, I'm not after speed. Ok so maybe I am now.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:36 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Maybe a bit more to come out, but like I said when I started this project, I'm not after speed.
...cue Tui billboard about now.......!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Bad news. One of the 8" D90's that owes me $12.50 has a ding in it. Now that isn't really that bad, except I had it stripped and powdercoated first before I found this out.
More semi bad news is that I had selected colours very carefully over a week and then changed my mind at the last minute.
Good news is that a 21mm spacer works well with the 9" ET 55 cup 2's on the rear and makes the D90's look butch. it has it's mojo back.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:25 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Kinetic copper powdercoat, this was meant to be a tan Colour. 21mm spacer to bring the rears out. Now fronts look small.
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2013, 03:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I really like that colour David...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?