Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 04:18 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I think you have Dave for company as well. Plus Paul & Yoda to round out the air-cooled crew. So take advantage of Doug while he's testing the limits and trying not to break the new toy!
Sadly not, had to pull in favour of kids rugby tournament
Old 08-22-2013, 04:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

I think Dave is out so just Pail and Yoda. I'm aiming or 1:25 this outing, which was an average lap for Doug before. I don't think I'll do anything but keep him honest. Any other AIMs coming out?
Old 08-22-2013, 05:28 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macca's listed on the RSG site, is that from when it was on Sept 7th?

I'll be there with an AIM, and hopefully decent tyres this time.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:31 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by John McM
Any other AIMs coming out?
I have an Aim now and will be there with it in the 996t. New rotors, Pagid 29 endurance pads, race fluid, GT3 brake ducting and Dunlop Direzza tyres
Old 08-22-2013, 05:40 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
I have an Aim now and will be there with it in the 996t. New rotors, Pagid 29 endurance pads, race fluid, GT3 brake ducting and Dunlop Direzza tyres
Chris - It will be interesting to see what a mildly track tweaked 996TT laps at?? Phil's car was super fast in a straight line but didn't handle the twisties proportionally to the straight line speed.

Pete - where are you on 31 Aug??
Old 08-22-2013, 05:44 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I'll get some popcorn. It should be a good show watching you and Matt go head to head. No sneaky ECU flash....yet?

Actually, you've put a thought in my head. Does the 996TT take any of the race GT3 wheels? That might be a reasonable option for me.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:49 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

[QUOTE=John McM;Actually, you've put a thought in my head. Does the 996TT take any of the race GT3 wheels? That might be a reasonable option for me.[/QUOTE]

John. Identical size. I bought a set of spare rims and then purchased some second hand tyres from Ian Hayr (2 sets). I think Ian has some more Bridgestone RE11's and Dave Taylor may have some more as well if Matt didn't get them all .
Old 08-22-2013, 05:52 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

I'll get some popcorn. It should be a good show watching you and Matt go head to head. No sneaky ECU flash....yet?

Actually, you've put a thought in my head. Does the 996TT take any of the race GT3 wheels? That might be a reasonable option for me.
Sorry, different wheels, same tyres as GT3's in race series. I now have a 3rd set of wheels that I purchased off Dave Taylor, genuine 996t factory wheels.

No ECU flash, but cat removal and ECU flash next steps, see how it goes on the NITT first
Old 08-22-2013, 06:05 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Kevin from Ultimatewerks in the 996T forum gets good reviews for his ECU work. I'd earlier thought about buying his data logger and getting flashes sent via email but the C4 saga took priority. I'll be very interested to see how you go. Maybe 1:16?
Old 08-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
Macca's listed on the RSG site, is that from when it was on Sept 7th?

I'll be there with an AIM, and hopefully decent tyres this time.
Matt. Unfortunately after booking non refundable flights and organizing my trip to grab some time at HD n the 7th it was cancelled. The only other date that would have worked for me was the 21st Sept. Things didn't go my way this time...hopefully Ill get some time in at HD again in late 2014.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:39 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Matt. Unfortunately after booking non refundable flights and organizing my trip to grab some time at HD n the 7th it was cancelled. The only other date that would have worked for me was the 21st Sept. Things didn't go my way this time...hopefully Ill get some time in at HD again in late 2014.
Thought as much, that cancellation of the 7th was a bummer! Are you still in country on the 21st? There's a (non-RSG) Playday then, I'll be heading there.

I think Ian has some more Bridgestone RE11's and Dave Taylor may have some more as well if Matt didn't get them all .
I grabbed a set of used DZ03Gs from Dave, very cheap ($100 all up), but they were already hard as rocks and 2-3s slower than my already old PSCs, okay for a bit of fun but not much else. The rears are toast after two track days and 600km of road driving now, so can't really complain about the value!

Won't see any head to head from me, I'm only there to drive against myself, it's not a race event.

Better to keep learning in the 964, big power, tiptronic and PSM all serve to hinder driver progress. Plus there's more fun to be had driving a car nearer it's limits, which are more easily accessible in the 964.

Long term forecast is showing rain for the 31st, hopefully that's wrong as the wet driving's not much fun with my setup and I don't fancy running separate wet and dry sets.... oh well, summer's not far away now.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:40 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Kevin from Ultimatewerks in the 996T forum gets good reviews for his ECU work. I'd earlier thought about buying his data logger and getting flashes sent via email but the C4 saga took priority. I'll be very interested to see how you go. Maybe 1:16?
I think 1:16's will be a real stretch. Fast in a straight line, but very dodgy in a corner, the understeer is not good!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Matt. No unfortunately booked to fly out 20th. Non refundable ticket means $650 to buy a new leg to stay for that day and its a non RSG day so not really of interest.

Whats all this go with making 996T road cars into track day toys? Has nothing been learnt from my antics LOL! Expensive slope (weight, suspension, brakes, tyres, ECUs etc). Chris B save yourself the money and go buy a 997 GT3 now!

Agree with Matt on the learning thing. I made that decision when I decided I will likely move to a GT3 in 2014. I made that decision 12 months ago then booked the Targa, Now 1 x HD and hopefully 2 more at the NITT and some fast road stuff in Sicily. Not exactly the intensity of immersion I desired but the 993/964 etc is definitely the right platform to get the base craft under your belt. God help me what it feels like to be doing 235 kmph down that front straight then laying the picks on BIG TIME! I guess Ill find out one day but quite happy if I hit 200kmph down there today thanks....
Old 08-22-2013, 07:06 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Won't see any head to head from me, I'm only there to drive against myself, it's not a race event.

Better to keep learning in the 964, big power, tiptronic and PSM all serve to hinder driver progress. Plus there's more fun to be had driving a car nearer it's limits, which are more easily accessible in the 964.
Absolutely understand. Head to head was a poor choice of words. What I mean is relative times.

Playday is a similar concept in my mind to golf. It's not a tournament but I'm still interested in relative scores as it drives individual improvement e.g. I know Peter H can do sub 1:20 in a C4 so that's my goal.

My interest in Chris B's time is similar. If I can do 1:23 with my current skill level on road tyres I'm interested to see how far a stock car can go with a better driver and tyres. It sets a new bar.

As for 996T vs 964C4, I agree otherwise I wouldn't have bought the latter. I've got a lot to learn. Right now I wish the events were closer together.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:30 AM
PHG
Racer

No problem. Just to clarity the banner situation.

I have ordered 5 more:

3 white on red for Peter M.
2 red on black, 1 for Steve R and 1 for Arthur.

Peter H took the slightly blemished red on black and will return a spare red on white, which will fill George's order.

I will bring my fitting kit to HD on 31/8, along with the new orders. Food and drink will keep me focused while I trim next to your very expensive windscreen rubber! For those of you that don't make it to HD, and don't want to tackle this yourself then I suppose I can do more on the 12/13th. I'm getting better with practice.
Hi John
just back from Vietnam..seems like I missed a great track day..would have enjoyed watching you rat past me on your 'quick' lap
Can I give you a ring, have yr mob, and you can refesh me re putting banner on the car

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?