Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Steve. I love Rennline product. Bought these a few years ago thinking same. Unfortunately they do not work. They are cut specifically to clear pedals on LHD car. I gave them to Jamie on this board who has a LHD 993....
Old 08-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks Mark, great to know.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:48 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
It's pretty disappointing that these units are effectively lifetimed based on a non-replaceable (unless you're comfortable with a soldering iron) $2 battery. The on-board software also gives no warning that the internal battery is low or dead, and it looks like the later firmware updates added an automatic cold start for units with dead batteries to work around/hide the problem (previously you needed to induce the GPS cold start manually in the menus).
A further piece of info about this: it turns out the early hardware had a design flaw that caused the internal battery to run flat much quicker. That's the less sinister reason why the firmware was altered to force cold starts. Later hardware revisions also had the design flaw addressed, so the lifetime of the battery in those units is probably significantly longer.

Also, interesting but not entirely surprising to discover that the PBox PCB is labelled as a DriftBox, so with a bit of reverse engineering it's probably possible to enable to enable the yaw sensor and DBox firmware on PBox hardware.

Originally Posted by mjg
Solo also has a non-user-serviceable internal battery (with larger capacity to power the entire unit, and a fixed number of recharge cycles) that will result in the same failure mode when it expires and you're forced to switch to external power.
Actually, the assumption about the same failure mode may be incorrect, the Solo's on-board memory is probably non-volatile, and it may store the GPS almanac there, so it may not suffer the same problem. The battery and possibly the NV RAM do have lifetimes though, so we'll have to see how long these things last.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Matt. I might look around the internet to see if anyone hack hacked the PBox to make it into a DBox.

I have no idea how old the unit I purchases is but will load any new soft/hardware revisions on teh unit when I finally see it and test to see if that battery is still ok. If not will attempt to replace.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:27 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For those not wanting to spend $ on a proper timer, I used Harry's lap timer last weekend and it seemed to be providing pretty consistent timing, but I am not certain to what accuracy. I was driving it thru an iphone 5 which uses the internal inertial and a 1 Hz internal GPS. You can get an external 5 or 10Hz bluetooth GPS but i expect much of the timing comes from the inertial which seems pretty sensitive in the iphone5. Might be worth doing a comparison of the other systems and Harry next time we are out. It also seems to have a bunch of other functionality I haven't quite worked out yet like sector times and 'G'. You can also set it up to take video while it records a bit like Gopro with overlay of data (haven't explored this yet. I have the petrolhead version (I think about $25) but the grand prix version for a bit more has even more functionality. You can even hook it up to an OBD bluetooth apparently and get the engine data too. Bit beyond me but a thought for those not so serious to spend $500 or more.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:45 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Also, many thanks to the committee for Sunday. It was looking a whole lot more organised than last December and it was great to be out converting petrol into noise again. Great to see the old faces and meet the new ones too. Thanks to Michael for opening up for beers too. Great way to finish the day with a threesome up the motorway...
Old 08-13-2013, 01:55 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
For those not wanting to spend $ on a proper timer, I used Harry's lap timer last weekend and it seemed to be providing pretty consistent timing, but I am not certain to what accuracy. I was driving it thru an iphone 5 which uses the internal inertial and a 1 Hz internal GPS. You can get an external 5 or 10Hz bluetooth GPS but i expect much of the timing comes from the inertial which seems pretty sensitive in the iphone5. Might be worth doing a comparison of the other systems and Harry next time we are out. It also seems to have a bunch of other functionality I haven't quite worked out yet like sector times and 'G'. You can also set it up to take video while it records a bit like Gopro with overlay of data (haven't explored this yet. I have the petrolhead version (I think about $25) but the grand prix version for a bit more has even more functionality. You can even hook it up to an OBD bluetooth apparently and get the engine data too. Bit beyond me but a thought for those not so serious to spend $500 or more.
I use the Harry's lap timer too, there were quite a few inconsistencies between it and the official timers on Saturday?? Hard to know who was right??
Old 08-13-2013, 02:12 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Given the lap I was warned on only had a discrepancy of 0.06 seconds between the official timing and the AIM solo I'd say trust the official timing.

Jason, any spare HUDs in the Techie bay? That would make the driving task easier.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:47 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

PM me (just kidding). All sold with the A4s/Macchis.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:20 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
PM me (just kidding). All sold with the A4s/Macchis.
Many techie cars at Ohakea had mil-spec wiring and Avgas in their tanks I was a good boy and only left with my uniform and memories. No one wanted to spend anytime at Ardmore. As a complete coincidence I finally had a look at my Skyhawk book and notice I feature in a picture at Butterworth, standing on an A4K wing. That was 30 years ago. Good memories of a care free youth.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:51 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, fess up http://bloom.bg/16ELyz6
Old 08-13-2013, 06:20 PM
mjg
Pro

Having EuroPacfic be a local RSS distributor is going to be dangerous for my bank balance... after chatting to Daniel on Sunday, I now have a set of front adjustable toe steer arms to install.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:43 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Having EuroPacfic be a local RSS distributor is going to be dangerous for my bank balance... after chatting to Daniel on Sunday, I now have a set of front adjustable toe steer arms to install.
Same - RSS engine mounts being installed on the 31st at the track. I'm not driving that day but will be there to get mounts fitted - and give the rest of the 964 crew something to look at.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S

Same - RSS engine mounts being installed on the 31st at the track. I'm not driving that day but will be there to get mounts fitted - and give the rest of the 964 crew something to look at.
Peter, what's the rough estimate of cost for this? All wear points on my car seem to be candidates for replacement. I need to get my A arms done as well. Dean said CCS do those in about two hours. I already have the replacement bushes but want to do tie rods and springs at the same time. Maybe it would be cheaper to put track tyres on the 996TT?
Old 08-13-2013, 09:01 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
Maybe it would be cheaper to put track tyres on the 996TT?
With the weight and power of that you'll go through consumables even quicker. You're probably already heading towards replacing bushes and other wear items on the TT, the transmission mount was done recently wasn't it?

Plus all the expensive turbo plumbing!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?