Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 06:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Just chased up the banner man. I'm confident I will have them this time next week. Easily in time for the 31st at HD.

I also asked them about decals. First up I'm getting a personal one for my ducktail. It will be Carrera 3.6 in the same script as the RS one. To get this done I need to give Redline a good image and to state dimensions. Does anyone have a quality image of the RS decal, square on, and also have the exact dimensions.

Completely out of left field, it may surprise some of you but I listen mostly to George FM. I'm currently fixated on Fat Boy Slim's "Eat Sleep Rave Repeat". Can't help thinking we could alter that for an RSG decal "Eat Sleep Drive Repeat". Just a thought.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I like it John! Great idea.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:59 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
I like it John! Great idea.
Eat sleep race repeat sounds better but we don't race.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:14 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Eat sleep race repeat sounds better but we don't race.
Yet...............

I'd put a hundie on a few cars having cages or being changed to ones with cages over the next 2 years.

You get bored of just circulating by yourself and want someone just in front to chase or behind to defend. I quite enjoyed holding up Pete and Doug last Saturday................
Old 08-15-2013, 07:17 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I'm giving serious thought to a 944 S2 race car in 2014 (need to finish house this year).

There are some good ones for sale for around $25-30K at the moment. It would cost me more than $25K to get down to 1.16's in the C3.............

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/spec...-623403375.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/spec...-625189366.htm
Old 08-15-2013, 07:24 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Anyone doing the the Sunday drive??
Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Anyone doing the the Sunday drive??
Not me. Looking at the PCNZ site there is a very good turnout. I'm earning family brownie points this weekend although I may sneak into the man cave and look at brake ducting if a window of opportunity opens up.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Time for an update.

Heres a few more progress pictures from CCS. Three piece strut brace with camber plate pins. Front camber plates have a habit of shifting (part of the downside of making the front camber very easy to adjust at the track). When set up properly (i.e. not like in the pictures) the pins stop the monoball top mounts moving in the direction they typically do under duress. The extra bracing leg makes this a true cross brace.

The RS water bottle removes the large unit in the front fender that weighs 6.5kg full and replaces it with a small unit that's inside the trunk that weights 1.2kg full.

I bought an early 993 front trunk carpet used from the states identical to the original which I will keep in storage. Deans boys cut it to size and its off to the upholsterer for tidying up and beading tomorrow. It looks just like the 964/993 RS trunk carpet but Porsche want $700 for those so this was much much cheaper!

Nothing else to note in the trunk although the observant will note the Track it Velcro to the firewall behind the fuel tank that was fitted for the Targa. Ill be using the GPS antennae and power supply from that for a stealth telemetry location in the future.

Other pictures are of front camber plate/monoballs vs factory stock rubber top mounts. I would say that many top mounts will start failing in the next few years. Mine were good but its been a dry storage occasional use car for 15 out off 20 years of its life but starting to see these perish, break up and fail on imports and more heavily used cars now - its an age related thing too like many components of these cars....still unsure how the monoballs will affect the ride compliance and noise on the road - have had various opinions from those who have them form "not much at all" to "quite a bit". Guess I will find out soon.

Front RS uprights and tie rods in photo are smaller and lighter than factory but more critically keep tie rod level with ground at static on a lowered car. You will also see in the picture the Techart brake duct coming into the wheel well and the plastic defector that directs the air to behind the brake disc. I also run with brake baking plates removed which is the final touch to ensuring this high velocity air actually cools the disc and I have had braid brake hoses on the car a long time. You cant estimate brake ventilation on the track. A quick check of pads and discs (factory stock) indicates plenty of meat for NITT and the car has covered 25,000 road kms on these with a 1000km targa closed road event and 1.55 track days along with many spirited drives. Drilled rotors helps eliminate some of the gas issues of course. If I can make these discs and pads hold out till after SITT then Ill replace with the larger Turbo/RS ones next year and new larger calipers for the Big Red upgrade!

Unfortunately had to spring for a new set of front ball joints (local EMD prices too ouch!) as the old ball joints had effectively "welded" themselves to the front hubs! The new uprights came with new bearings so effectively the entire front suspension has new hardware in it now....hopefully last another 20 years!

Wheels have tyres mounted but need fitting, SFR brake fluid then full geo needs doing. After that there is shake down and a few items we got stumped on now have an attack plan for a second go. All going well I think it should be finished and ready just in time for my return.

P.S. I have been having issues with shifting under load since we installed the new ball jointed shift rod linkages and RS short shifter in 2010. Its very annoying on track as I have to change early in some spots. Im pleased to say the boys have figured out the cause (although I dont know at this time what it was) so will report on that when I know as it may be useful for 964 owners going to a full RS shifting system like I have....
Attached Images           
Old 08-15-2013, 11:18 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I'm giving serious thought to a 944 S2 race car in 2014 (need to finish house this year).

There are some good ones for sale for around $25-30K at the moment. It would cost me more than $25K to get down to 1.16's in the C3.............

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/spec...-623403375.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/spec...-625189366.htm
Mate, you are reading my mind. Looking at both those at the moment and have got a bit of info on them plus the 968 that Steve has (green one). 1 each? Or would it be a dumb idea to go halves?
Old 08-16-2013, 01:27 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Mate, you are reading my mind. Looking at both those at the moment and have got a bit of info on them plus the 968 that Steve has (green one). 1 each? Or would it be a dumb idea to go halves?
Moths to a flame
Old 08-16-2013, 02:13 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Moths to a flame
Spoilsport.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:32 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

1 each - I have seen the blue car in the flesh, it's very well built
Old 08-16-2013, 02:33 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Macca, with all these go faster bits, you better be fast mate...........
Old 08-16-2013, 03:48 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Spoilsport.
You know a GT3 makes ultimate sense. Simon grew out of his 944. You would too so go straight to the car you really want. Maybe Matt will get bored with his!
Old 08-16-2013, 04:06 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bang for buck not really - and would be a great entry to racing. Walk first, run next.

Paul - do you know how big a shunt the blue one had? Have you seen it recently?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?