Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 07:28 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
“Do or do not. There is no try.”
I don't think Yoda had a 'Boss Lady' at home or had to worry about cash flowing projects................
Old 09-29-2013, 07:49 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Does anyone have access to Pirelli tyres at better deals than the public? PM me if so, cheers.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I don't think Yoda had a 'Boss Lady' at home or had to worry about cash flowing projects................
Not surprising Yoda had no 'Boss Lady' given he lived in a swamp.

My 'Boss Lady' is flexible as long as everything is moving along with the thing she cares about i.e. house, however that takes time and money (one way cash flow given this is owner occupied). You can reduce the time aspect, but then you increase the money side and I refuse to pay people for 'Muppet' work if at all possible.

Since the NITT I've plastered, painted and changed out electrical sockets in three bedrooms, which were then recarpeted; designed and assembled parts for a water feature; fitted a TV above the Treadmill; cleaned out guttering and begun work on backyard landscaping. That might get me dispensation for the secret squirrel radio install I did over the weekend. Finish the water feature and landscaping and I may get those seats. Can't find the site now, but the US one had a nice harness guide that you could add to the seat. Very retro.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Does anyone have access to Pirelli tyres at better deals than the public? PM me if so, cheers.
Matt. Maybe try offshore like the boys have done...very fast turn around via Tirerack etc
Old 09-29-2013, 11:23 PM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Not yet Phil - only a couple of replies but will try and sort something after the 5th so we can check on John McM's exploits in classic trials. But since you work weekends and busy with boats - how about joining the RSG group for twilight on 15 Oct @ HD - still a few spots open for that one.
Pete
that could well have merit
Missing Uncles tomorrow
I'll be in touch
Old 09-30-2013, 05:30 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Whew John, I'm tired just reading about that list of house things to tick off. Put us all to shame.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:41 AM
O2GO
Drifting

My new race brake pads have arrived and I dropped the 987 into Glen at Motorscience today to fit them and do the usual oil filter cut open and inspect for shrapnel post 3x track days at HD and NITT.
That showed a little amount of metal flakes and a lot of carbon "crap". Out with the oil, and off with the sump to check out any crap in the bottom of the sump. Looks like the Italian tune up after a pampered first owner life has given it a bit of a shakedown.
On Glen's advice the little bits of metal flakes look typical from early stage IMS bearing failure so next week the girl gets a new ceramic IMS bearing. I'll rest easier knowing it has a new hi-tech IMS anyway so better sooner than later (or having a catastrophic failure).
Hopefully that's all the "damage" done for a while.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:47 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Oh, and may have sold the old 986 Boxster this morning, subject to PPI and corresponding feedback/advise on Thursday. Made a video overview of it on the weekend with my iphone and Mac. Was quite fun but when my son said "Dad it's really easy" he didn't mention how long it takes to stitch the multiple takes together and then upload it to Youtube. Took forever.
However, if there's a next time I'll know. Also, didn't realise at the time how much wind noise would come through with our blustery conditions.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Doug.

Sorry to hear about your IMS issue but it appears you caught it early....could have been worse....

Pete Meredith emailed me during the week "Bit of an issue with the Cayman and looking like an engine rebuild (either the IMS bearing or the con rod bearing have failed). Just trying to work out the go faster mods I can do at the same time...."

On the subject of Post Track checks, CCS had the 993 on the hoist today for a full review. Next time the car turns a wheel is likely the trip down to the SITT, so I wanted to make sure I know exactly if anything needs dong between now and then.

Luckily nothing major. It appears the rear toe arms have started to show a little play. Not surprising given they are 20 years old and the car has now completed 3 track days since it was last checked. The R compound tyres, -2.5 degrees rear camber and excessive cornering forces on the NITT probably were the last straw. They are fine as they are for now but I don't like the idea of them getting worse as they upset the geometry and could create wear on other components. Unfortunately they are not cheap either at around $900 landed....

I have the brake discs and pads measured all round. The new factory discs all round discs were installed by me 7 years ago at 55k km. Car has now done just over 80K. Discs show half wear with no spider cracks. Pads were replaced with factory standard at same time. Now showing 5mm all round so around 60% spent. Not bad tho for 20,000 road kms, 3 full track days and a 3000 targa tour of which 1000km very fast. New set of factory pads fro front and rear from FD Motorsport is only $450 NZD landed all corners so Ill pick up a set of those with the toe arms and stash them in case they are needed towards the end of the SITT. Never know may even just make it back on the old ones....
Old 09-30-2013, 06:27 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
Whew John, I'm tired just reading about that list of house things to tick off. Put us all to shame.
I try to balance it out with car work. Tonight a very simple job. Replaced the headlight screws, refitted the surrounds and trimmed/fitted mesh to the brake ducts. All ready for the regularity trial on Saturday at Pukekohe.
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2013, 06:59 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Doug & Peter, sorry to hear that. The 911 and 964 can't claim the high ground, neither can the 996 (I recall Paul telling me Lance's car lunched its engine). 944, 993, Turbo and GT3 seem to be the most reliable so far... Like my planetary gear fix, there's comfort in catching it early. That reminds me I need to book the C4 in for an oil change. 2,500 km on a rebuild is a good time to see how it's all holding up.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:39 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
My new race brake pads have arrived and I dropped the 987 into Glen at Motorscience today to fit them and do the usual oil filter cut open and inspect for shrapnel post 3x track days at HD and NITT.
That showed a little amount of metal flakes and a lot of carbon "crap". Out with the oil, and off with the sump to check out any crap in the bottom of the sump. Looks like the Italian tune up after a pampered first owner life has given it a bit of a shakedown.
On Glen's advice the little bits of metal flakes look typical from early stage IMS bearing failure so next week the girl gets a new ceramic IMS bearing. I'll rest easier knowing it has a new hi-tech IMS anyway so better sooner than later (or having a catastrophic failure).
Hopefully that's all the "damage" done for a while.
interesting - I've also just found a bit of carbon-like debris in my filter too, no metal bits this time and I had an oil analysis done which was all good but I'm trying to find out where the carbon deposits have come from. I don't know whether to do a flush or just let the oil detergents slowly do the job.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:54 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Nik, you have to remember many of us had never driven this track before. For some like myself this was only our second or third track day full stop.

From what I understand the best 964 (Pete) put in around 1.53.XX.
My 993 best lap was 1.50.32
Matt in 996.2 GT3 managed to get in an awesome 145.14
Paul got a 1.50.XX in his little Carrera 3.0 (a great result!)

AIM start line was off for this track so maybe slight variances on those times.

Taupo can throw up very different times depending on traffic. I think with another session out there you would find consistency and the 964's doing 1.51 the 993 1.48 the 996 GT3 1.44

We had a lot of 997.1 GT3 RS and GT3 in our Prestige group. Infact the GT3 count at Taupo was 5-6 cars!

From observation Taupo is all about the driver. I have no doubt Racing Ray could pull a 1.46 in my car and a 1.42 in Matts.

If we are talking simply imperical difference between those two cars with the same driver I would say 2.00 seconds a lap in favour of the GT3 assuming the driver is a competent 911 driver. At Manfield Id known that down to 1.5 and HD down to 1.3s. Taupo is all about baking, and catapulting out of slowish corners - the GT3 will brake harder and put down the power better than the CSL IMHO. Its a totally different driving style mind.

If the GT3 is posting consistent early 1.44s Id say that would be right with a good driver experienced with the track. If the CSL can manage late 1.45.XX Id be saying also well driven.

Of course what do I know....LLOL
Im surprised about your numbers. You are on the money in respect how close the CSL is to the GT3. It was just less than 1 second (both cars running R888's). Pretty impressed that the CSL would be so close in lap time considering its 60BHP+ down on power and the brakes dont seem to be as good at the GT3's - well they are way smaller.
I thought CSL owners were all **** and wind when the talked their cars up. Have to say Im impressed.

Round figures for the cars were:

997.1 GT3 (R888): 1.47
M3 CSL: (R888): 1.48
Golf Mk1 GTI (R888): 1.56
Old 09-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Nik. Glad to be of service!

How did you find our times surprising? Good or bad? Most of us were first time at taupo remember...

As mentioned its not all about HP IMHO at Taupo. That 60bhp makes little difference, weight, handling and brakes far more so.

I should think the 997.1 GT3 is capable of mid 1.44 driven hard. Matts driven Taupo a few times before and granted his 996.2 GT3 is set up very well for track with many mods. Ive got in car go pro of his low 1.45 lap and although it was a bit of an outlier (no traffic etc) there is still a bit more there for him to grab. We assume R888 and Hankook 221s are similar on track but there will be slight differences.

I believe that the delta in favour of the 997.1 GT3 should be wider than the 1 second you guys discovered. Personally I believe the 997.1 GT3 is capable of much more than a 1.47 at Taupo...Im hoping to get into the 1.48s next time at taupo (assumes shift linkage sorted) so definitely at least 2 seconds on the table for the 7.1GT3 (dependent on traffic)....
Old 10-01-2013, 01:58 AM
cbnz
Instructor

Macca your question re times, on the 964 it was Bridgestone RE55S. No direct comparison on a 964 or 993 but on a 944S2 with no other changes made, RE55S vs Hankook Z214, the Hankook was 1.5-2 secs faster.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?