Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:28 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Have you run the 221s in the wet before? I haven't but had thought that they would be similar to the R888s especially in the soft compound. Guess not from what others are saying.

I have wet/road tires but the rims aren't getting here until next week for those. I'm reluctant to mount them on the Simmons only to put the RE55s back on them as I'm not sure how many more rim changes the RE55s have in them.

Damn weather!
Yep - I ran the 221's when it was a bit slippy - light drizzle only and no standing water. They were fine. Only had one off coming over 3 - seemed to be a bit of a trend that day.

I still found plenty of grip and pushing through the sweeper you could feel when it was going to break away - a bit of fun and actually good to feel the limits. I'd be a bit wary of the front straight having seen a few puddles and knowing there's no run off....

Remember to soften off the rear ARB though. Or is that just for us C4s
Old 08-08-2013, 06:30 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
964 C4 owners.

There is a thread on the 964 forum re seals for slave cylinders in our hydraulic system. If these cylinders leak the Porsche new unit is eye wateringly expensive e.g. Close to $1,000 for the diff lock unit.

Far cheaper insurance to order the seals ninemeister has had made up. $125 mailed to NZ for 2 sets. If you got in quickly you can use my mail cost and pay $100.

If you don't order now you may have trouble sourcing later.
Thanks for the reminder John. I'll do that today and combine with yours.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:12 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sean,

I would suggest the Toyo 888's for the Targa, they are not the best track tire but make a good compromise for road, track and wet weather.

I can't speak for the 221's, but get the feeling they are too much of a track focused tire.

I did the Targa on RE55S's - they didn't handle the damp Rotorua roads too well in the morning, and weren't effective until the afternoon.

My 10c..............
Old 08-08-2013, 07:29 PM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys
This has got nothing to do with Hampton Downs or tyres or laptimes etc!!!
Firstly an earlier post mentioned Sierra Madre in LA......I'll second that recommendation and Jorge the owner is an excellent guy.......and prices are very good....I wouldn't go past them for my needs.
Secondly, I recently purchased a CDR-22 on UK ebay and to cut a long story short the CD player does not work..........so if any of you guys have pulled a CDR21 or CDR22 out of your car to lighten it and you
have no use for your head unit then I'm interested!! I (ie Rapid Radio) just need some parts from the player to replace those that are broken in mine so working or not then please let me know.
Cheers
Bob
Old 08-08-2013, 07:54 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob - when does the new car land?

I'd really like to see this in the flesh?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sean you are damn right any information on the 221 is scarce. Took me 10 hours of internet research to get any real feedback!

Issue is these tyres aren't sold through official channels in USA or Europe the two largest track day markets! No idea why. Some guys doing Time Attack style comps in the USA are grey market importing them. The Japanese love them and they are the fastest tyre above Nitto or others over there and there is plenty of data but I dont read Japanese and translation is futile wit that language...

What little I could find on US sites indicated the 221 is as good as any in the wet on soft compounds. Pete probably has the best real world feedback.

As for that ARB Pete I think in a C2 you would soften off the front for more over-steer and front end grip and less understeer...
Old 08-08-2013, 10:05 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 356Downunder
Hi Guys
This has got nothing to do with Hampton Downs or tyres or laptimes etc!!!
Permission granted LOL. Any talk of new cars though is most welcome.....!!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:15 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
As for that ARB Pete I think in a C2 you would soften off the front for more over-steer and front end grip and less understeer...
That would achieve that outcome but in the wet I wouldn't be chasing oversteer - hence softening the rear to promote a bit more understeer.

(With apologies to Bob for reverting to track talk!)
Old 08-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I think maybe getting Bob confused with Graeme. Graemes 2.8 RS/R faithful recreation arrived in three days time from Europe. What a car!

Yes Pete. You are right. Sorry, forgot we were discussing wet driving. Not sure it changes the balance of ABR settings front to rear to be perfectly honest - would have thought if anything soften off both ends by the same ratios...but you have AWD so maybe its different as you say...
Old 08-08-2013, 10:54 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think maybe getting Bob confused with Graeme. Graemes 2.8 RS/R faithful recreation arrived in three days time from Europe. What a car!
Well that makes sense because there's no room left in Bob's garage for another! Unless the Targa has finally gone walkabout?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:01 PM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Well that makes sense because there's no room left in Bob's garage for another! Unless the Targa has finally gone walkabout?
Unfortunately the manual Targa is still in the garage....but there is some interest which is good!!.......no "new" RS/RSR car for me though as Macca clarified above!!
Old 08-09-2013, 01:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Bob. Good luck with the 993 sale. Its a good car deserves a good home. Looking at whats been available this year 993 wise Id say they are starting to become "keepers" by many especially in 6spd variant - there are so few that come on the market these days. There's also a tonne of scrappy ones about. I see 4-5 scrappy ones for every nice one. Makes the 964 look like the 90s 911 bargain for sure. Just as rare to find a good/tidy/cherished one of those too it seems....
Old 08-09-2013, 01:52 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Yep - I ran the 221's when it was a bit slippy - light drizzle only and no standing water. They were fine. Only had one off coming over 3 - seemed to be a bit of a trend that day.

I still found plenty of grip and pushing through the sweeper you could feel when it was going to break away - a bit of fun and actually good to feel the limits. I'd be a bit wary of the front straight having seen a few puddles and knowing there's no run off....

Remember to soften off the rear ARB though. Or is that just for us C4s
Thanks for the feedback mate. It's an oddly comforting thing being able to feel the limit rather than be surprised by it in these 911s.

The car is already pretty "soft" versus Steve's initial set up for HD and we were talking about toughening it back up after Targa so will probably leave it unless Dan sees something.

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Sean,

I would suggest the Toyo 888's for the Targa, they are not the best track tire but make a good compromise for road, track and wet weather.

I can't speak for the 221's, but get the feeling they are too much of a track focused tire.

I did the Targa on RE55S's - they didn't handle the damp Rotorua roads too well in the morning, and weren't effective until the afternoon.

My 10c..............
Cheers. Had definitely written off the RE55s. I was thinking about those too. My short list is basically the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs, Hankook RS3s, Toyo R888s.

Most of the old school rally guys, like Allport, have recommended the Dunlops.

Sean you are damn right any information on the 221 is scarce. Took me 10 hours of internet research to get any real feedback!
The Porsche racers in Australia are the best and gave me all the initial info about compounds etc too. Let me find that link...

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...kook-z221.html

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-09-2013, 02:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Sean. Knew I had seen that thread somehwere on my travels.

Heres the Tirerack survey averages for some tyres you have been considering for Targa.
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2013, 07:19 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Thanks Macca. While we are on the subject of tires:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Covers a few of the tires we've been discussing here, they've used the S04 over the RE11 for the test though.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?