Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 07:55 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Dang, just checked the registrations; there are 29 entrants. Not sure where they all suddenly came from. Still, the track is ours until 4pm and I can see some typically free track time in the afternoon. I'm only doing the regularity trial, not the bent sprints. Matt, Paul and Doug will be blasting past me. Might have to secrete the unit into a few cars to see where the better drivers are doing their things.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think that would be a very useful application for the AIM. It would be interesting to see what others do around that track to get fast times. Again I doubt they will allow timing gear in competition but may be viable for warm up laps.....also a great opportunity to shake down your new ride and give her a christening!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Actually reading up on the QSTARZ this is where it may have its primary advantage. Its cheap and discrete (just larger than a matchbox) and alot of racers mount discretely it using triple velcro under their GRP rear wings as it will get a signal through resin/plastic. It has a 45 hrs battery life and vibration sensor for activating it (and will go to sleep after 10 minutes when it dosent sense a vibration). Granted the software isnt as polished as the AIM but in many countries a window mounted GPS timer is not legal in competition so for this you could pop it under someones rear bumper or wing and then remove it after their competition to record their lap data....could be worth an experiment for a couple of hundred bucks?
Old 07-09-2013, 02:41 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM

Did the right thing by D. and won't post anything until their current fix theory is tested. They think the slave rod length is different in the car versus normal so are going to fit a new slave tomorrow. I had one fail 10 years ago in the turbo 3.6 so I don't mind changing out to a new part. I just hope for everyone's sake this is it.
Clutch is fixed. I'll research it more later but the issue was the clutch slave cylinder rod length. The existing one was 8mm shorter than the replacement. Alas it didn't end there. Clutch hose weeping so replaced as was the other long oil hose from filter to tank. On the home straight.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Paul, the regularity trial on Saturday says you will be excluded if you exceed 1:27 for two laps. Is that a maximum time or minimum time? I don't think I can run under 1:27 at all times while running my car in.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul will confirm but that's a fastest time John. You should easily be beating that by the end of the day so will have to try and retain equal pace lap after lap at around 1.28 to score good points I should think. Sounds like the 964 will be ready just in time!
Old 07-10-2013, 12:21 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I was worried there that I'd have to take the 996TT out again.

One last piece to get the 964 working, the clutch pipe/hose, so fingers crossed.

BTW: PCNZ now polling re road car racing interest ... either our lunch is being cut or we have even more options to get on the track.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Good like with the pipe and lets hope your troubles are behind you now...

I forwarded the PCNZ email to the RSG committee earlier. My take on this is that's its complimentary for those who wish to go the next level from RSG. Racing would not fit under the Prestigio coverage guidelines and I would imagine participants should expect the odd incident. Its amazing how even the most passive driver will get the "red mist" when fighting a pack of cars for a gap! Id imagine this will favour those with less invested in their cars and who want to take things on to the next level. Im pretty sure Paul will be interested in this option and perhaps Chris B but I dont see it in any way competing with the bulk of our group who wish to optomise clean laps with minimal risk and intact insurance and have the social element...
Old 07-10-2013, 06:09 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul, the regularity trial on Saturday says you will be excluded if you exceed 1:27 for two laps. Is that a maximum time or minimum time? I don't think I can run under 1:27 at all times while running my car in.
Its the fastest you can go. Go quicker than 1.27 and you are toast..........

Just keep your speed at 150kph over the the top and you will stay within 1.27, but can go quick everywhere else.........
Old 07-10-2013, 06:10 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

One last piece to get the 964 working, the clutch pipe/hose, so fingers crossed.

BTW: PCNZ now polling re road car racing interest ... either our lunch is being cut or we have even more options to get on the track.
No - PCNZ has been talking about this for a while..........
Old 07-10-2013, 06:25 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911

Its the fastest you can go. Go quicker than 1.27 and you are toast..........

Just keep your speed at 150kph over the the top and you will stay within 1.27, but can go quick everywhere else.........
Thanks for the additional confirmation. Looking promising so far. 150km/hr should be easy in top gear without revving too high. Not sure what pace I can do but the AIM will help to set it. See you Saturday.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:58 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news John - fingers crossed for that last remaining part...

I'm keen to try the road car racing but not sure how easy to get the necessary licence at short notice? I'd be keen to do the Aug 10th date - "RSG Racing" has a nice ring to it!!

Are they proposing this for Sat as well? If so let us know how it goes.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Just been to Contis to deliver the Fuchs for fitting. Definitely on the home straight. Just waiting on the clutch line. It will be at home in my garage tomorrow, ready for the Rennsport Gruppe Banner fitting, and run-in @ HD on Saturday.

I also have the bill for the work, which details the extent of what they had to do. I think I have been extremely well looked after and I’m only now really starting to appreciate where I’m at with the car, other than the obvious big parts e.g. I know the status of the head studs and various gaskets, plus there are no seized exhaust nuts I’ll have to contend with anytime soon.

I will document the journey on the 964 forum soon as I think there are some good lessons. Suffice to say that IMHO a standard PPI is not nearly detailed enough for a 964, let alone a C4 and I’ve learned the hard way what on these cars is coming to the end of its life in a 23 year old car e.g. I have now replaced five oil lines, three of which were $400 each. I’ve also learned that some things will remain undetected unless the PPI is very invasive e.g. clutch at the end of its life, gearbox input shaft seal leaking, planetary gear pin loose.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Good news John - fingers crossed for that last remaining part...

I'm keen to try the road car racing but not sure how easy to get the necessary licence at short notice? I'd be keen to do the Aug 10th date - "RSG Racing" has a nice ring to it!!

Are they proposing this for Sat as well? If so let us know how it goes.
This Saturday is bent sprints and regularity, only. The racing is proposed for 10 Aug and possibly 14 Sep. I took a cursory look at the items needed to get a race licence. Call me lazy, but I'll look at this later when my car craft is good enough to warrant the effort.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dont forget pictures when you have it back!

What are the next projects? Duck tail paint and fit? Race seats? Take out carpet/stereo/rear wiper etc?

Forget time for recovery John. Hurts less if you tear the plaster of in one go LOL!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?