Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 04:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
JohnM, I'm sure you'll regret not having track rubber for Herman. Please don't do it. You can't plan on bringing an Integra to play with pcars at track days. 2016 will be over before we know it and replacing them will cost. Get rid of spare unmounted rubber by all means but not your track wheels.
The rubber, or lack of it is part of the thinking. My Z221s are almost slicks after last weekend. At $1,680 fitted, in hindsight, they were the bargain of the century but supply of the right sizes has dried up and I don't see any obvious substitutes out there. Any lesser performing tyre, likely at a higher price, just doesn't appeal.

Then there is the fact that we have race cars, with 9 spare tyres, that none of us have yet got within 2.5 seconds of the 2k Cup leaders running the same model. I see that as the challenge for 2016.

In any case, I'll take the track wheels off the car this weekend. If they have more life in them, then I'll just chuck them under the house. If not used within a year, then they get sold. That's the new regime in our house. I'm also going to sell off some of my spare parts.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

R888R is looking good as Z221 replacement.

We are all in the same boat re Z221 sizing running dry. My set n the 993 have done 4 x full equivalent track days and 2500km road and are looking rather shagged. I think Id get anther day out of them fr sure but a 6th would see then toasted. A shame as I have a WOF on the 993 in a months time and I think this rubber will not pass.

The reality is over time compounds and track surfaces change. Just like the cost of going to the track changes. I think yu d your best to wrok around it all and just go out and have fun even if it doesnt result in a PB.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:36 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
R888R is looking good as Z221 replacement.

We are all in the same boat re Z221 sizing running dry. My set n the 993 have done 4 x full equivalent track days and 2500km road and are looking rather shagged. I think Id get anther day out of them fr sure but a 6th would see then toasted. A shame as I have a WOF on the 993 in a months time and I think this rubber will not pass.

The reality is over time compounds and track surfaces change. Just like the cost of going to the track changes. I think yu d your best to wrok around it all and just go out and have fun even if it doesnt result in a PB.
Those Dunlops that Nigel and John run on their GT3's are a good tyre.

I don't feel like the 221's are superior to them when we run neck and neck - (though Chris B say's 221's are faster than the Dunlops).

Try the Dunlops?
Old 01-20-2016, 07:38 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Insane! Hard to see the logic in that conversion - remove a front seat but leave the rear's in place?
Old 01-20-2016, 07:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

All valid points Macca.

I suspect as much as anything that the tyre situation is a chance to reflect on where I want to spend my time in 2016/17 and doing more racing is attractive when the race car is parked up on my property with 9 spare tyres etc. Its also good not to be worried about insurance, damaging other peoples cars and mechanical issues.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
All valid points Macca. I suspect as much as anything that the tyre situation is a chance to reflect on where I want to spend my time in 2016/17 and doing more racing is attractive when the race car is parked up on my property with 9 spare tyres etc. Its also good not to be worried about insurance, damaging other peoples cars and mechanical issues.
I understand fully John. I spent some decent seat time in the 993 on this trip and as much as I enjoyed it on the track and it performed well I could not help but feel as I was pushing the old girl into the low 16s at HD and low 47s at Taupo that at that pace on a regular basis she would be needing some expensive TLC in the future (most certainly a gearbox as I am hard on these and probably a top end as she is run to the redline multiple times per lap). Going 9/10ths is a mugs game in these old timers as Paul has regularly eluded too. However for RSG days and NITT (let's face it probably only 6-8 outings a year) I think the smiles outweigh the potential costs. That said, if you have an alternative car to beat up on on track such as the integra it makes sense to be using that for 8/10th plus runs...

I'm not 100% sure Paul but back when Chris B was using the DS03G I'm pretty sure it was the old compound not the new one Nigel & John are using which I believe is faster and better. The DS03G is definitely one of the quickest tyred available for your car, it may be a fraction slower than the z221 but it's consistently available bad better on the road than the Trofeo R so worth trying for sure once z221 supply is depleted ....
Old 01-20-2016, 08:04 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

All valid points Macca.

I suspect as much as anything that the tyre situation is a chance to reflect on where I want to spend my time in 2016/17 and doing more racing is attractive when the race car is parked up on my property with 9 spare tyres etc. Its also good not to be worried about insurance, damaging other peoples cars and mechanical issues.
Just admit it JMc - it's the fancy paint job (or $60-70k in restorations) conflicting you. It was for me..........

Sell the Hondas and go buy a 44 race car.

Then you have a show pony 964 and a racing Pcar.

Best of both worlds...............
Old 01-20-2016, 08:10 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca

I'm not 100% sure Paul but back when Chris B was using the DS03G I'm pretty sure it was the old compound not the new one Nigel & John are using which I believe is faster and better. The DS03G is definitely one of the quickest tyred available for your car, it may be a fraction slower than the z221 but it's consistently available bad better on the road than the Trofeo R so worth trying for sure once z221 supply is depleted ....
I need to take a harder look at the spec they are running - but John and I swapped cars on the track and I really liked the Dunlops - they didn't feel noticably inferior.

I might give them a go to keep the GT3 gang on a level playing field.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:25 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I need to take a harder look at the spec they are running - but John and I swapped cars on the track and I really liked the Dunlops - they didn't feel noticably inferior.

I might give them a go to keep the GT3 gang on a level playing field.
The 03G's are a very good tyre. I was running the old compound and with the 221's I've gone to 10mm wider on the front and softs on the front and mediums on the rear which has helped turn in, so not an apples with apples comparison.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Just admit it JMc - it's the fancy paint job (or $60-70k in restorations) conflicting you. It was for me..........

The paint job doesn't worry me, otherwise it wouldn't have been on the track on Monday and entered in the Festival. However, I'm very mindful now of the sums invested in the mechanicals (mostly the box) and that there's no warranty past a few uses. A used Integra box is $500, and I can fit it myself.

I keep on looking at the P car racing, but I'm not up for that kind of budget, plus I don't feel I have earned my stripes yet. Get into the top 1/3rd in the 2k cup and you know your race craft is improving. Not so sure the progression is the same in the Porsche series given the car development required in buying old racers.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:26 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Take your own advice Paul

I keep on looking at the P car racing, but I'm not up for that kind of budget, plus I don't feel I have earned my stripes yet. Get into the top 1/3rd in the 2k cup and you know your race craft is improving. Not so sure the progression is the same in the Porsche series given the car development required in buying old racers.
You'll only ever earn your stripes actually doing it. Budget I understand only too well!
Old 01-20-2016, 10:04 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

go here for professional photo's of your car on track last weekend

http://www.groundsky.co.nz/index.php...EventCode=1601
Old 01-20-2016, 10:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dave.

Quite a bit of roll on the Tangerine Dream!
Attached Images   
Old 01-20-2016, 10:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the heads up Dave.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:07 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

From the FOS

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?