Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 08:35 PM
esonefour
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got a big dent in my door on Saturday (another long story )
Got dent devils to sort it out, Amazing job but not something I enjoyed watching being done.
One dent totally kills it for me and to have a dent less car is as close to a brand new car as I'll get.

Talking spring rates etc what's maximum for street/track torsion tubes ?
Elephant do 26 to 36 I'm guessing that's soft street to track only.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:06 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by esonefour
So I got a big dent in my door on Saturday (another long story )
Got dent devils to sort it out, Amazing job but not something I enjoyed watching being done.
One dent totally kills it for me and to have a dent less car is as close to a brand new car as I'll get.

Talking spring rates etc what's maximum for street/track torsion tubes ?
Elephant do 26 to 36 I'm guessing that's soft street to track only.

Torsion bars any thicker than 31 on the rear would be obscene for road use. Remember a 3.3 930 that is 200kg heavier than your car is only running 26's or 27's for the last ones.

I understand your stock size would be 18/23?

A long story short, I made friends with a leading Aussie Group SC race car developer several years ago, who designed the suspension for the C3, which circulated HD in mid 19's in road trim (i.e. - faster than Mark's or Pel's race car).

He advised as follows:

1) 22/28 bars
2) Poly bushes - (replaced EVERY rubber including engine and trans)
3) stock sways (as upspec'ing make un-roadable)
4) Neg camber plates for front to improve turn in
5) Carrera 3.2 spring plates
6) Rebush shocks for club day use

If the mod's are just for show ponying - stop here. If these are being done to go to the track, you are now taking the engine to g-forces waaay beyond stock, and you should install a 930 or GT3 fuel pump too (learn't this the very hard way......)

Last edited by kiwi 911; 01-26-2016 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 369 Posts

From Aircooled FB post

coming up for sale
A gentleman i helped sort his car out has decided to sell , here is the details but i need to sort what price he wants.

As previously mentioned I’ve come to the decision to put the SC on the market, so thought I would provide you with a bit more detail in case you know of anyone who is looking for a really decent example.

It’s a South African new right hand drive 82 SC coupe in metallic sky blue with blue leather interior, factory option Recaro Sports and sunroof. I am the third owner and have owned the car since October 1999. It came across to NZ when we immigrated in Jan 2010. Up until mid-last year it was my daily driver so current mileage is 374,000km. Despite the high mileage it drives superbly and although it’s no concourse winner it still looks pretty immaculate.

During my custodianship it has had huge amounts of cash and time invested in it including the fitting of a reconditioned 3.2 Carrera motor and box that were fitted 70,000km ago and a glass out repaint back in 2009. It runs on the slightly wider Fuchs Turbo 7 & 8J rims and is fitted with a genuine 3.2 Carrera tail.

I have the original maintenance book showing its service history prior to my ownership as well as an itemised record of all work done during my ownership together with the associated receipts.

It has a fresh gearbox compliments of Stu as well as a new clutch kit that I fitted less than 3,000km ago. At the same time Stu had the injectors serviced and we fitted a fresh air filter and plugs.

futher details tonight
Old 01-26-2016, 11:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Pic
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2016, 04:26 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

^^^^^$65k. Nice spec. No more CIS, lighter than a Carrera 3.2 so should go very well. I was in but I think the asking price has knocked me out.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:27 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Torsion bars any thicker than 31 on the rear would be obscene for road use. Remember a 3.3 930 that is 200kg heavier than your car is only running 26's or 27's for the last ones.

I understand your stock size would be 18/23?

A long story short, I made friends with a leading Aussie Group SC race car developer several years ago, who designed the suspension for the C3, which circulated HD in mid 19's in road trim (i.e. - faster than Mark's or Pel's race car).

He advised as follows:

1) 22/28 bars
2) Poly bushes - (replaced EVERY rubber including engine and trans)
3) stock sways (as upspec'ing make un-roadable)
4) Neg camber plates for front to improve turn in
5) Carrera 3.2 spring plates
6) Rebush shocks for club day use

If the mod's are just for show ponying - stop here. If these are being done to go to the track, you are now taking the engine to g-forces waaay beyond stock, and you should install a 930 or GT3 fuel pump too (learn't this the very hard way......)
Was it the extra G forces that caused you engine explosion?
Old 01-27-2016, 04:54 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm liking this...

http://www.911virgin.com/porschefors...2CarreraTarga/
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2016, 05:00 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Was it the extra G forces that caused you engine explosion?
No - more likely 2 years of track days once a month and a few Targas - that was a lot of time at the redline for a car with about 160,000 miles and no known engine rebuild (ever?).

The engine blew due to being starved of oil. It may have been starved due to not having enough, or being too tired, or because of the fuel pump - who knows??

I would not take a car to the track with over 100,000km without a recent engine rebuild - it's too hard on them to spend 15mins at the red line and I have ‘issues’ when it comes to driving at anything less than about 9/10's. It's as bad as doing never ending time trial’s and I just don't see the point.

At $65k for that insane mileage, non-original SC. I wish him well but doubt it's worth more than $40K - (but it seems I sell my cars too cheap.......??)

Dave's must be worth $85K then?

Regardless of model – I think all nice, no stories air-cooled cars are going to be north of $100K soon.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 01-27-2016 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:09 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S

^^^ Agreed, really like the interior with sports seats and grey piping.....

R replacement?
Old 01-27-2016, 06:07 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Maybe the lack of air cooled driving is breaking the spell, but based on mileage travelled to date, my next purchase could well be a newer Cayenne or if I left the Bank, a Bentley or Aston Martin for those long trips. I don't need two air cooled cars at these prices.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^ Agreed, really like the interior with sports seats and grey piping..... R replacement?
It's not red....
Old 01-27-2016, 02:21 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

^^^ Agreed, really like the interior with sports seats and grey piping.....

R replacement?
Not at these prices. Suspect that ship has sailed. They have 3 x 3.2s all at the same mileage and money - but quite different cars.

The R replacement is the S (it's red after all) - thinking about suspension and wheel options as that's all it needs. (And a 3.8 conversion one day...!)
Old 01-27-2016, 04:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Not at these prices. Suspect that ship has sailed. They have 3 x 3.2s all at the same mileage and money - but quite different cars. The R replacement is the S (it's red after all) - thinking about suspension and wheel options as that's all it needs. (And a 3.8 conversion one day...!)
Totally agree.

I didn't buy these old bangers when they were floating around at 35k a few years ago. God knows I had the budget. Why would I want them now at 60k (if they even fetch that?).

This is the thing about fashion. Nothing has changed....but everything has to some (who read the press and buy the hype).

Each to their own I guess. If you always wanted one and couldn't read the tea leaves that have been building these last few years and you feel you will miss out then then I guess this is an opportunity...

About to trial DSC controller for PSAM with Velocity control (V2) for SiTT. Leong knocked half a second of his times with the Gat4 using it as n the 11th, swears by it, even in the road for making it more comfy for the wife over 5000km. If it works then pretty cheap way to win some benefits whilst keeping everything working factory. To be quite honest I think I'll leave the geo 100% factory set up for good as the DSC gains are likely as good as any geo gains without the compromise!!

Modern tech is great because lots want to be playing with it when it comes out. Charles Dunson the legendary exhaust builder just completing a massive research project on headers and straight pipes for gT3 and soon GT4 with 100s dynamic runs and 10-12 different prototypes and finds 30-40 bhp etc (no cats or side mufflers tho so not smog legal in USA). It's kinda exciting to watch this stuff as it happens with the new stuff. Love the old stuff too just as much. Very nice to enjoy both ends of spectrum...

Last edited by Macca; 01-27-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Dunsons exhaust art (used by many 996/7 GT3 owners around the world).

Equal length 3into1 race headers using factory 3rd muffler (no drone) but retaining the factory bypass switch/valve (quiet & loud).

Expensive tho ($6500 USD plus freight & GST!!!) so only for the well heeled. Still interesting watching folks do this stuff. They have also managed to unlock the ECU and write some new code to optomise a dip in the lower rpm torque band that the system develops. Thats an option if you want it, apparently they can bench flash it s it doesnt show the ECU has been tampered with if you send them the unit but I wouldn't want t be chancing that on a new car under warranty....
Attached Images    
Old 01-27-2016, 11:01 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

I've got a soft spot for well made exhausts. Still haven't organised one for my car, as I keep finding other opportunities to spend $$, but have narrowed it down to a couple of options. If money wasn't a factor in the decision I'd grab one from Unobtanium - their designs are interesting and the weld quality fantastic.
http://www.higherarcing.org/

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?