Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 10:27 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shiraz
The Q&A may not have helped!
The Q&A's killed it in my opinion. Stuff like that really puts me off. What would he be like to deal with if something went wrong etc. There's nothing wrong with people asking questions relevant to the provenience given the $$ we are talking and better to leave no stone unturned than sell to a sight unseen buyer and have him come back unhappy. I scanned all my files and had them accessible via photobucket, service history, wof sheets everything. That being said had he not responded like that would it have gone higher? At the end of the day he still (possibly) has pocketed $15k more than his original price.

I'm not a big fan of the C4's in any generation but especially the 964's with the gearbox cluster John had welded was enough to put me off. Imagine buying this one and then face that bill 3 months later, let alone all the other work required. Anyway will be interesting to see if the sale goes through, whether the buyer is happy and what they end up doing with it.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:29 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

So many things wrong with the auction - photos, write up, manners, setting it to finish at lunchtime on a Monday. I'd bet on the sale not going through.

RE: Insurance valuations - remember that you're trying to insure against the cost to replace the car, not the price it would sell for if it sold tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by shiraz
The Q&A may not have helped!
It definitely didn't help. Neither did the photos or the accuracy of the description. I suspect once the excitement of seeing a manual 964 for sale was over, not enough people were inclined to do DD and provide competing bids. In the scheme of things I think it was a fair result, especially if you resist the temptation to refurb it and add another $20 ~ $40k to the 'investment'.

Last edited by John McM; 02-21-2016 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:55 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Delayed double post...

Think you're right John. Auction length being shortened would have helped prevent that, and stimulated bidding while the ruby stone tinted goggles were still in place.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:49 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Ive been told by someone close to the RWB NZ build that the conversion costs north of 80K.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:30 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Ive been told by someone close to the RWB NZ build that the conversion costs north of 80K.
I was hesitant to put it up here as I don't like starting or stirring rumours but Garry Doyle and I went to the reveal and I was told $160k?! Now that was probably the whole project, parts, paint, his entourage etc etc. Others on here may have the actual figure however respectfully the owners may not want that shared.

One of the owners has a white 964RS as well that IIRC he has had for probably close to 10 years?
Attached Images   
Old 02-22-2016, 03:42 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Jamie, we thrive on rumours and half truths. I think the RS is owned by a brother or cousin in HK. Could be wrong, often am.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:45 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John McM
Jamie, we thrive on rumours and half truths. I think the RS is owned by a brother or cousin in HK. Could be wrong, often am.
I'm pretty sure there is or was one NZ based unless it was something I just assumed? Dennis Young may be able to clarify?
Old 02-22-2016, 03:51 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

https://www.facebook.com/RWBNewZealand/?fref=ts

RWB New Zealand 001 has had a full motor rebuild, run in tune at the moment.

002 has had a motor freshen up, but manly just bolt on bits, motor will be sorted at a later date
Old 02-22-2016, 03:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great picture Jamie. Nice opportunity to meet the man down under aye!

IIRC the 964RS was in NZ but the owner was offshore and the relative/friend who posted on here was looking after it for him.

80K is alot of money for a body kit (thats a 400 bhp Rothsport 4.0L conversion on a 3.6 and maybe some spare change for some RS gear sets for the G50). That said its not just a body kit but really "car art". Im guessing you basically need a full respray in there somewhere too. Im not sure these are cars that would survive repeated pounding at teh track or a fast road run Targa style, but I guess they are more cruisers and will always looks stunningly aggressive whether they are moving or not...the LVVC guy would have loved them ;-P
Old 02-22-2016, 04:04 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
Great picture Jamie. Nice opportunity to meet the man down under aye!

IIRC the 964RS was in NZ but the owner was offshore and the relative/friend who posted on here was looking after it for him.

80K is alot of money for a body kit (thats a 400 bhp Rothsport 4.0L conversion on a 3.6 and maybe some spare change for some RS gear sets for the G50). That said its not just a body kit but really "car art". Im guessing you basically need a full respray in there somewhere too. Im not sure these are cars that would survive repeated pounding at teh track or a fast road run Targa style, but I guess they are more cruisers and will always looks stunningly aggressive whether they are moving or not...the LVVC guy would have loved them ;-P
Yeah mate. I can never see myself doing a RWB conversion but appreciate them for what are and Nakai San getting out there and doing what he loves regardless of what other people think. And like you say.. I see them as art... which is also very personal and subjective. There's not many people that are world renown doing something they love and he's just himself, cigarette, scruffy hair, work boots and all! He may never be back again so IMO worth the trip. I'm sure I'll see the cars again.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:32 AM
O2GO
Drifting

^^^^ Well said. When I stumbled across the RWB "convoy" on the road in the weekend the cars certainly looked extraordinary on the road. Car art is a good description. Very cool.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:33 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
https://www.facebook.com/RWBNewZealand/?fref=ts

RWB New Zealand 001 has had a full motor rebuild, run in tune at the moment.

002 has had a motor freshen up, but manly just bolt on bits, motor will be sorted at a later date
Wonder if they used an after market ECU?

I can appreciate the art in these and believe they would be able to carry out the same road use duties as the majority of weekend 964s do anyway.

Btw have you noticed how many of our posts mention $? We seem obsessed about the cost and value in every car. I salute these guys for blowing a large wad on something that evidently means a lot to them.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah the $$$ discussions get tiring and are vulgar. But I think everyone was curious in this case.

If you drive hard on NZ back roads North-land style you would probably fracture the fiberglass arches from wheel deflection and lumpy roads. One of the cars is particularly low. Doing a 14.5 min run to Dougs It take the nose and all the arches off that car. 3 piece rims are also too fragile for NZ roads. My Kershers were out of true on 3 out of 4 rims after 5 day Targa. Kershers are known for being some of the strongest forged barrells in the business. they dont deform on the outer lip as I suspected but the inner lip and thats partly to do with negative camber. Sunday cruising yes, fast B road blasting, no way.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:54 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the weather's good, 2nd March I'm gonna take the SC for a midweek run at Taupo. Probably too close to SITT for most, but if there's any interest let me know.

http://www.brucemclarenmotorsportpar...-cars-only-11/

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?