Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 04:55 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Saturday night is good. Dan and Rob staying Saturday night so you will be on the air bed, nice and comfortable, especially after a few drinks!

The new house has much history , I would describe its former life as a swinging retreat, with its own full on dungeon!
thx for some hospitality over the weekend Chris. Great set up you got there.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:46 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The good thing about the Cayman is that it should be a B class car! Breakout for B class is 1:12:99.
Yes, just re-read those limits. Sounds like the Cayman could be a class winning car and if you ran it for a full season, could be a championship winning car? Be interesting as to where it tops out in development and whether it would ultimately breach the Class B times through a season.

To be competitive in Class 2 Enduro the Seat Leons were capable of mid 11's at HD and low 40's at Taupo - so tough to be frontrunner there and comply with PCNZ times as well - dilemma!
Old 01-18-2016, 06:18 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Yes, just re-read those limits...tough to be frontrunner there and comply with PCNZ times as well - dilemma!
Cars aren't getting slower. I presume PCNZ occasionally give their class breakout times a nudge? And/or drop another class in at the top?
Old 01-18-2016, 06:43 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Cars aren't getting slower. I presume PCNZ occasionally give their class breakout times a nudge? And/or drop another class in at the top?
They're pretty stable I think - Paul would know more.

I think in the past 944's were mainly in class C but as they have got lighter and the tyres have got better they are now all in class B. So more a case of moving class than changing the class breakout times.

1:07.99 is the Open class upper limit and the best we have seen is 1.05:xx so far - so no need for a new class at the top!

What's interesting is picking a car that would be as close to 1:08 in Class A and 1:13 in class B without breaking out from that. Chris B may have the sweet spot in B. Brian McGovern has moved from 1:09 last year and has run a 1:08.5 this year so he is right on the limit for Class A now - will be down to the new tyres I reckon. Next weekend will be v interesting.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:44 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Just felt like giving Steve R, Dan and his team a shout out for being so accommodating and helpful to other RSG members and clients. Steve leant 964s to both JohnM and Graeme to run in regularity after their cars had problems leading up to the event. The lineup of blue and orange gulf machines was stunning, especially seeing them on the track together in the parade.

Thanks To Chris too for your hospitality, beers and use of your shower by a few hot sweaty blokes prior to the Le Mans dinner.

I'm thinking of coming back down next Saturday to keep John company.

All shows the spirit we have in the RSG group ;-)
Old 01-18-2016, 06:49 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by gt38088
thx for some hospitality over the weekend Chris. Great set up you got there.
Graeme, my pleasure, great to catchup. Good to hear you got home okay and hopefully you car is okay?

Yes, just re-read those limits. Sounds like the Cayman could be a class winning car and if you ran it for a full season, could be a championship winning car? Be interesting as to where it tops out in development and whether it would ultimately breach the Class B times through a season.

To be competitive in Class 2 Enduro the Seat Leons were capable of mid 11's at HD and low 40's at Taupo - so tough to be frontrunner there and comply with PCNZ times as well - dilemma!
Its good for the Porsche series, but most of the races are handicap, so it just neutralizes things. I would still have to get past 944's and that's not easy!

Enduros are hard the Seats are very quick and with Craig and Mark they are driven by very good drivers as well. Just get out and have some fun.

I think in the past 944's were mainly in class C but as they have got lighter and the tyres have got better they are now all in class B. So more a case of moving class than changing the class breakout times.

1:07.99 is the Open class upper limit and the best we have seen is 1.05:xx so far - so no need for a new class at the top!

What's interesting is picking a car that would be as close to 1:08 in Class A and 1:13 in class B without breaking out from that. Chris B may have the sweet spot in B. Brian McGovern has moved from 1:09 last year and has run a 1:08.5 this year so he is right on the limit for Class A now - will be down to the new tyres I reckon. Next weekend will be v interesting.
Yes, the classes and breakouts should be good over time, they need to encourage older cars to stay in the series, so cars will move between classes rather than classes changing much or at all. Even with Brian it is again the handicapping that takes care of things, a great outright win for Robert Dong this weekend.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Just felt like giving Steve R, Dan and his team a shout out for being so accommodating and helpful to other RSG members and clients. Steve leant 964s to both JohnM and Graeme to run in regularity after their cars had problems leading up to the event. The lineup of blue and orange gulf machines was stunning, especially seeing them on the track together in the parade.

Thanks To Chris too for your hospitality, beers and use of your shower by a few hot sweaty blokes prior to the Le Mans dinner.

Well said.

I'll aim for a 3 to 4 hour window around midday. I have a Corp pass as well so intend to move around. The goal is to see more racing and catch up with people like Brian C etc.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:32 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

They get reviewed each year. I think the 44 class was 1.13.5 last year.

I was thinking the same as Pete - would make 44's obsolete and I think not in keeping with the 44 class.

The cayman is a weapon and the way of the future, but I don't think economic as developed to Chris's level - I'm gussing Chris could have funded a 996 GT3 cup car for the same money??

The Cayman is in a tough place - too fast for Group B and too Slow for Group A. The answer is to get more Caymans and Boxsters.

I really enjoyed watching Michael Neville's video and enjoyed watching the close 44 racing of Pete, Marco and Neil, that was propper close racing - and am almost tempted to pull the trigger
Old 01-18-2016, 07:36 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Macca/Miller 'Man Love' Moments..............
Attached Images    
Old 01-18-2016, 07:43 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
They get reviewed each year. I think the 44 class was 1.13.5 last year.

I was thinking the same as Pete - would make 44's obsolete and I think not in keeping with the 44 class.

The cayman is a weapon and the way of the future, but I don't think economic as developed to Chris's level - I'm gussing Chris could have funded a 996 GT3 cup car for the same money??

The Cayman is in a tough place - too fast for Group B and too Slow for Group A. The answer is to get more Caymans and Boxsters.

I really enjoyed watching Michael Neville's video and enjoyed watching the close 44 racing of Pete, Marco and Neil, that was propper close racing - and am almost tempted to pull the trigger
Go on, do it!

The Cayman will be a class B car, easy to control speed, just stop development, a 1:13:00 flat will be a great result for my car if I stop development now (not that I have done much, mainly fixing heating and oiling issues with some basic mods).

The challenge will be finding cars to race against, mainly older 911's or road going GT3's, it won't impact class results as handicaps will sort that out and 944's are hard to get past, they brake later in to a corner and get out of a corner faster, so passing opportunities will be limited to long straights and then only if I get a good drive out of the corner. My best HD vmax in the Cayman is 210kmph and in the weekend I was hitting 199kmph in the 944.

In terms of breakout times for classes, HD is more than .5 seconds a lap faster now than it was a year ago due to track improvement. The track is a lot more forgiving coming out of corners with the extra tar sealing that has been done, so you can push through the corners harder and faster
Old 01-18-2016, 07:54 PM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Go on, you'll be able to drive at 10/7ths like you've always wanted

And you should have some spare change from the 993 to 3.2 swap, so the man maths is easy?
Old 01-18-2016, 07:56 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed

And you should have some spare change from the 993 to 3.2 swap, so the man maths is easy?
Wasn't a lot of change out of that swap?
Old 01-18-2016, 08:42 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by O2GO

Here here, a big one from Steve, Dan and Rob. They helped a huge number of people with issues, race and road cars and did a lot for me with a shock replacement and frontal realignment!
Old 01-18-2016, 09:02 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Here here, a big one from Steve, Dan and Rob. They helped a huge number of people with issues, race and road cars and did a lot for me with a shock replacement and frontal realignment!
ditto shout to Steve, Dan and Rob. Great time had by all not withstanding some gremlins.

haha I like that - we all have the 7/10ths cup and Paul has the 10/7ths cup.

Chris you are going to have to buy some light weight bolt on components to run in the enduro's. Carbon bonnet, carbon and poly rear hatch, spare doors with carbon shell outer and maybe liners. That lot should get you close to the Seat's. That way you can drop weight without stripping the comfort things you still got.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:06 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

+1 from me there. Impressive work on Chris' 44 using the 'Cayenne jig...'

Originally Posted by gt38088
ditto shout to Steve, Dan and Rob. Great time had by all not withstanding some gremlins.

haha I like that - we all have the 7/10ths cup and Paul has the 10/7ths cup.

Chris you are going to have to buy some light weight bolt on components to run in the enduro's. Carbon bonnet, carbon and poly rear hatch, spare doors with carbon shell outer and maybe liners. That lot should get you close to the Seat's. That way you can drop weight without stripping the comfort things you still got.
Creative suggestions Graeme. You'll get him thinking with those....

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?