Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And another one...
Old 11-14-2015, 09:07 PM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pete did you see the wanted ad on the PCNZ site?

"Private buyer for Cayman R, must be an R. Not interested in any other models."

If there's only 3 in the country he might be out of luck.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:11 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Good outcome. I think in line with your expectations. I suspect weight is your enemy comparing the CR to the two racers.

The track boys in the states with the CR can get them to go as almost as quick as 996.2 GT3, but it involves $$$, set up and some good driving.

It may not be worth taking any further than it is now - with good track pads, fluids, tyres and geo you've already covered the big (value) time winners. Everything else will be $$$ and give you limited returns.

If the CR in current format turns out to be not quick/involving enough for you would make better fiscal sense to move in to a 6/7 GT3....
Spot on - it's either stay as is or take all the way.

I love the Cayman platform - the balance makes it a very fun drive. However once it has a cage, been lightened, all the suspension and breathing mods, it will still suffer from lack of HP. A 3.8 conversion and then you're talking but by the you could have bought the Cup car and have change.

Depends if it's about the journey or the outcome...

The 44 was on old rubber and still felt just "right." Bang for $ it's unbeatable.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:19 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Pete did you see the wanted ad on the PCNZ site?

"Private buyer for Cayman R, must be an R. Not interested in any other models."

If there's only 3 in the country he might be out of luck.
That was my thought. And to import one would be well into 6 figures.

The fly in the ointment is the red S which I'm driving daily and not sure I want to let go... Manual is way more involving which makes it way more fun day to day than the R. The R is just an epic drive on track in sport plus.

For now I'm happy with the choice! As is Kim.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:24 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Fantastic car Dave - drives really well and is very responsive. Fantastic torque and response.

Good to see you fanging it and getting sideways on the corners in a few places. Sounds like you are going to be mixing it with Doug and JMc - so looks to be a nice 3-way battle.

Nigel had me crying into my pillow - he pulled a couple of high 11's in a basically stock 996 GT3. I think this is the fastest Porsche road car time that I am aware of at HD. Someone tell me otherwise. A stunning lap time..........

He was pulling mid 13's with a passenger and I was struggling to keep up.........

I need to do some more DT - there is clearly a lot of personal development to go.........
Old 11-14-2015, 09:37 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

He was on fire. That was his best ever time in the car. I sat behind him dualing with JB (Nigel had a passenger) and he was all over the back of him. In a race it would have been no contest - at RSG/Playday he was behaving and not trying to pass under brakes.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats also the fastest laptime Ive heard of in a road going RSG Porsche let alone a 16 year old GT3 as you say.

Was that a proper recorded time? If so would love to see the trace...

The fastest times Ive seen were the PCNZ sprint times form 2014 when Neil D, Steve R and Chris B all posted 13.3-13.4 times after battling it out tgether. Mind you the power to weight ratio of all of those three cars is better than Nigel & his GT3, which makes his time all the more impressive.

Ive always had alot of respect for Nigels driving. He is experienced and fast and knows his cars set up well. I sure there is a lot more he can teach us. On the last session at Manfield he invited me to follow him around the track and in that single session alone I learned enough to shave a few seconds from my lap times to that point. Absolutely useless to me in the last session of the day (I suspect Nige knew that LOL), and the chances of me doing that long track again in the future are almost nil. But it was an eye opener.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:57 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ He had an iphone GPS system - I saw the times and can verify.

I can also verify on my aim mid to high 13's (but he had a passenger in the car) - err....... and I didn't.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hes definitely our quickest driver then. Has the SkillZ!!!
Old 11-14-2015, 10:49 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts
Default 98

Good news for SITT inbound, just filled up at BP Cromwell - 98 fuel available
Old 11-14-2015, 10:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokes
Good news for SITT inbound, just filled up at BP Cromwell - 98 fuel available
Thanks Steve. We have that noted trackside Highlands but good to know it's still operating...
Old 11-14-2015, 11:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
That was my thought. And to import one would be well into 6 figures. The fly in the ointment is the red S which I'm driving daily and not sure I want to let go... Manual is way more involving which makes it way more fun day to day than the R. The R is just an epic drive on track in sport plus. For now I'm happy with the choice! As is Kim.
Try upgrading the wheel to have the paddles. Those button switches belong to tipo generation I only use paddles when driving the PDK on the road never auto. Makes a big difference, on the track sport auto is faster but paddles are more fun. Once you have calibrated start using the paddles. My goal for 2016 is paddles only full stop road and track.

The GT3 is a bit different. The PDK is s little different from your car snd the engine revs so quickly and to such a high rpm that the paddles suit the nature of the engine very well.

My conclusion is PDK with paddles is the best format full stop for a road car on the track. That's why the BGB 3.8 PDK race caymans are so competitive. For daily driving and traffic commute a manual would kill me. But for fast back road drives including targa, which I love as much but probably more than track driving manual would be my preference 90% of the time (but not in the wet maybe).

Clearly the best answer is to have a stripped bare Cayman with 3.8 & PDK for race and track, a manual aircooled for weekend spirited runs and a. c63 AMG or similar for traffic runs to work :-).

All of that said if there is a buyer in the market and the car isn't giving you the level of satisfaction you had hoped I reckon sell it and spend a little on improving the S - put on Z221 and track fluids/pads and enjoy it for occasional track days when you don't take the race car out, and keep it for the drive to work as you leave early enough to beat the traffic anyway...

Looking at your past cars (a couple of tipos there) you no doubt already know all of this already
Lol!
Old 11-15-2015, 12:11 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh, some good info from Steve's guys on the weight of the T. They must have had it on the scales during geo set up.
Don't know how but with a quarter tank of gas, basic interior trim as it sits, no spare or tools, FG front bumper.
1005kg.
So full roadie should come in at 1050kg or less. There really isn't much more to go in it.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Oh, some good info from Steve's guys on the weight of the T. They must have had it on the scales during geo set up.
Don't know how but with a quarter tank of gas, basic interior trim as it sits, no spare or tools, FG front bumper.
1005kg.
So full roadie should come in at 1050kg or less. There really isn't much more to go in it.
Impressive Dave. At a completed weight circa 1050kg (thats lower than some people predicted) it has a higher power to weight ratio than my 993 and the 964s out there!! I reckon with the right tyres and geo you should beable to dip under 1.20 once you have had some more seat time...

It sounds like the conditions there were just about perfect yesterday. Nigel C was not surprised with his low 13s given the low wind, good grip level and mild ambient temperatures. His 11.8 was in the first session and he said was a surprise. Not sure if it was an outlier but appears to be around 1.5s faster than any other lap he ran that day. Using racechrono on iPhone. He says he knew the track was fast yesterday as he was changing up a gear earlier and managed an indicated 230kmph vmax on his speedo at one stage on the front straight (fastest he has seen). Tyres were correct size Dunlop DS03G, previous track days back in July & August had been running large rolling circumference R888 which he said increased the gearing and did not grip as well. I think maybe the Dunlops were out of stock before. He fitted the dunlops just before NITT so they had only 2 days on them and were in a sweet spot. Thought Id pass that one for anyone curious as hes not on this board.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?