Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 02:41 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
John. If you are creating a quick and dirty reference geo suggest having it done with 100kg simulated drivers weight weight in the seat.

Nathan you still have plenty of front toe in. Ive just had the 993 set up again zero toe again for 3 track days Taupo & HD over next few weeks and on the Z221 its noticeable on the street but with the road tyres on is not an issue.

Jeff. Have you seen these? 993/64 RS F+R 50 degrees of rotation, sealed. Almost vital for easy corner weight balancing I should think?

Anyone interested in a group discount and shipping let me know. Not cheap at $800 NZD landed the F+R set but if you have RS height, ARB and coilovers these are the part of the equation along with monoballs and camber plates, heim jointed A arms etc.
I need new drop links for the front anyway as the boots have split. I may be interested if fitment for a c4 is avail?
Old 01-04-2016, 03:06 AM
JD-Motorsports
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
John. I had posted this before but here is the geo setup sheet that Jeff did for me. Very happy and can confirm his meticulousness

Hi Warwick, perfect timing to post this. We can see the effect the bars are having on the chassis in a none dynamic state on the scale pads.

*Car with both bars disconnected and final cross weight and Ride Heights set was at 49.96%
* Connect rear bar = 49.65%
* Connect front bar = 49.41%

You can see how the bars are changing the corner weights. If we had adjustable drop links fitted, we could eliminate this effect and have the chassis remain at a approx 50% cross weight with both bars connected. You may not be able to feel the difference between 49.4% and 49.96%, but why not chase perfection if we can. A purpose built race car with a professional driver can feel this change, but they also could be able to run over a coin and tell if it was heads or tails!!
Old 01-04-2016, 03:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Jeff. These are the 993 RS F+R units. 50 degrees of articulation vs 18 for heim jointed alternatives and these ones last way longer and dont tinkle when they wear and eliminate binding,

They have been on my wish lift for a few years now but as I have the factory RS ARB drop links its been hard to justify.

I believe for the 993 its the rear RS drop link (shorter thicker gold coloured curved unit) that sis currently very hard/expensive to source. Fr the 964 gen it may well be the front.

Powergrid do a 964 front which will work with C2 & C4 and is cheaper than the RS bits I posted (maybe $300 landed a pair). I knw a few of Jeff Roths custmers are using them in competition with success (seem to have been very durable).

If anyone is interested I could get pricing. Unfortunately I dont believe they do a rear but will ask the vendor (who is on holiday in the USA till next week). I have already asked for a discount based on volume as I have another few people interested in joining. Havent been given final pricing yet...

Ive avoided going the route of CWB for the cars in teh past as a) Im nt good enough to tell the difference b) the cars often have passenger at road and track and C) I didnt have the ability to counter preload using the factory drop links and as road cars did not want to weight shift items to achieve perfect cross figures.

However these drop links address C and also future proof fr a move to Ohlins or Moton MSC or indeed the new Tractive units that may be available for 964/993 in the future which may have different perch heights. Im keen to see what Tractive solution is available downstream.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:10 AM
nmaisey
Rennlist Member

John. If you are creating a quick and dirty reference geo suggest having it done with 100kg simulated drivers weight weight in the seat.

Nathan you still have plenty of front toe in. Ive just had the 993 set up again zero toe again for 3 track days Taupo & HD over next few weeks and on the Z221 its noticeable on the street but with the road tyres on is not an issue.

Jeff. Have you seen these? 993/64 RS F+R 50 degrees of rotation, sealed. Almost vital for easy corner weight balancing I should think?

Anyone interested in a group discount and shipping let me know. Not cheap at $800 NZD landed the F+R set but if you have RS height, ARB and coilovers these are the part of the equation along with monoballs and camber plates, heim jointed A arms etc.

I pulled the trigger on these a few months ago but yet to fit them. Otherwise I would have been keen to be part of the group buy as they look a bit more grunty than these tarret ones.
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2016, 04:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by JD-Motorsports
It looks like whoever did this alignment did not care to re-sweep and verify castor after adjusting front camber. It is the same before and after. Probably not a big deal as it most likely evened out due to the amount camber split that was present left to right at the start. A little lazy in my opinion... Documentation is important with this stuff! Are you looking to dial in your ride height too John? Corner balance? I was very happy with the setups I did on Warwick and Logan's 964's. Cheers
Just a simple alignment this time. My drop links could do with replacing as well so this will need redoing at some stage soon.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:41 AM
JD-Motorsports
Intermediate

Jeff. These are the 993 RS F+R units. 50 degrees of articulation vs 18 for heim jointed alternatives and these ones last way longer and dont tinkle when they wear and eliminate binding,

They have been on my wish lift for a few years now but as I have the factory RS ARB drop links its been hard to justify.

I believe for the 993 its the rear RS drop link (shorter thicker gold coloured curved unit) that sis currently very hard/expensive to source. Fr the 964 gen it may well be the front.

Powergrid do a 964 front which will work with C2 & C4 and is cheaper than the RS bits I posted (maybe $300 landed a pair). I knw a few of Jeff Roths custmers are using them in competition with success (seem to have been very durable).

If anyone is interested I could get pricing. Unfortunately I dont believe they do a rear but will ask the vendor (who is on holiday in the USA till next week). I have already asked for a discount based on volume as I have another few people interested in joining. Havent been given final pricing yet...

Ive avoided going the route of CWB for the cars in teh past as a) Im nt good enough to tell the difference b) the cars often have passenger at road and track and C) I didnt have the ability to counter preload using the factory drop links and as road cars did not want to weight shift items to achieve perfect cross figures.

However these drop links address C and also future proof fr a move to Ohlins or Moton MSC or indeed the new Tractive units that may be available for 964/993 in the future which may have different perch heights. Im keen to see what Tractive solution is available downstream.
If nothing else,getting the car on the scales and nailing the Ride Height is a fun exercise, and I always adjust Ride Height with X Weight in mind as they go hand in hand. But I hear ya, reasons A & B do factor in for sure. And you are also correct in not having much options in physically moving ballast around the car limits how perfect you can make it too.

You could always do the setup with weight in both seats I suppose. And if you we really wanted to get crazy, you could measure and document your spring perch heights with a passenger, do another setup with just the driver, get those perch heights and then have the option to switch between the two with ease (wheels off). The only thing that would be off is the sway bar preload, but it would be interesting to see by how much. We did this on the race cars. We would pre-fit different spring rates and document the perch heights prior to the race weekend. Then during the race weekend sometimes even on pit road, do spring changes very quickly using the measurements taken on the scale pad prior, and not alter the setup in the process. Pretty cool and bit nerve wracking to do on pit road I must say!!

I am a strong believer in what TPC racing is doing with their DSC / Tractive product line. Hopefully they can get 964 / 993 dampers sorted sooner than later.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:43 AM
JD-Motorsports
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nmaisey
I pulled the trigger on these a few months ago but yet to fit them. Otherwise I would have been keen to be part of the group buy as they look a bit more grunty than these tarret ones.
Tarret makes good stuff IMO. Cant go wrong with those bits. A little maintenance required at times on the rose joints, but other than that, they are mint!
Old 01-04-2016, 04:25 PM
JD-Motorsports
Intermediate

Nice way to start off 2016! Good car **** @ Gillies!
Attached Images   
Old 01-04-2016, 05:05 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Easy to DIY.

https://tech.thk.com/en/products/pdf/en_a22_016.pdf
http://www.thkstore.com/products/osc...ink-*****.html

Saeco Wilson stocks the THK link ***** in Auckland.
I bought the BL14 recently, $13.63+GST each.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited by mikey_audiogeek; 01-04-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JD-Motorsports
Nice way to start off 2016! Good car **** @ Gillies!
Nice! Have you had any Boxster spyder deliveries yet?
Old 01-04-2016, 05:45 PM
nmaisey
Rennlist Member

Question for those who are in the know at the festival. I've just been reading the schedule of events and just want to know what everyone else is doing.

I am planning on attending sun 17th and sat 23rd.

Where it says "There will be one demonstration run of 6 laps by special cars/drivers in selected Porsche cars in the afternoon."

Is this where we'll get to see the lighting direct cars etc on track? Just want to make sure I don't miss my opportunity to see these legendary cars and others out there
Old 01-04-2016, 05:55 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nmaisey
Question for those who are in the know at the festival. I've just been reading the schedule of events and just want to know what everyone else is doing. I am planning on attending sun 17th and sat 23rd. Where it says "There will be one demonstration run of 6 laps by special cars/drivers in selected Porsche cars in the afternoon." Is this where we'll get to see the lighting direct cars etc on track? Just want to make sure I don't miss my opportunity to see these legendary cars and others out there
Paul will know, if anyone does.

The basic rule with any race meet is that nothing goes smoothly. As long as it's on the day and you spend the day there you should see it, but don't try and time it.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:58 PM
savantx
Intermediate

I will be there Sunday 17th. Is the record breaking attempt just an on the day deal or something you need to register for?
Old 01-04-2016, 06:02 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Herman is in getting the WOF. Interestingly, it's just been discovered that the headlight lenses are not the same. Both are H4. I will check that later. I didn't fit the ones off the Turbo 3.6, they went to Doug. I think the issue here is Jon P replaced a cracked lens before delivering the car to me. I'd say it's the wrong one.

Otherwise it looks ok. Still some oil seepage, one looks like it's coming from the case seam The guys reckon that there is a wicking loctite Porsche use for that. The suspension and gear shift feel as new. This is going to be a good drive, albeit I'm likely to revert to another exhaust configuration as it's too noisy and smells a bit too much for a DD

One bonus of the day is that my transmission mount insert arrived in time to have it fitted whilst up on the hoist.
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2016, 06:57 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
The basic rule with any race meet is that nothing goes smoothly.
^^^Much truth, and almost signature worthy!

Originally Posted by savantx
I will be there Sunday 17th. Is the record breaking attempt just an on the day deal or something you need to register for?
Bearing in mind the above, I suspect that they'll want everyone registered just in case someone spontaneously combusts during the attempt (in a 991? ). An email went out but I don't have it to hand.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?