Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 05:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Walter. Im sure 4WD becomes a contributing factor also. Its definitely something better suited to a set of tyres towards the end of their life agreed.

I was thinking a space much larger than HD skid pan. Something you can set up a US style auto X course on for a bit of competition and then some mock corners (say 250m long 90kmph like T9+10 at HD) where one can learn to hold a sideways drift and experiment with slip angles and envelope f traction.

A large apron would be fine. Im sure the military have some huge disused spaces. If someone feels interested enough they will try and organise it.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
More Magnus pics
Could have been worse i guess. Could have been the gold wheels :-P

P.S. Not sure if you have seen the 59 997T? that Magnus coordinated. Looks very good, white with red strip etc.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:23 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Could have been worse i guess. Could have been the gold wheels :-P

P.S. Not sure if you have seen the 59 997T? that Magnus coordinated. Looks very good, white with red strip etc.
Magnus Walkers 964 looks like some cheap foward dated 70's 911 that has been cheaply updated to look like a 964?
We have seen this kind of stuff around the world for years, until back dating became popular.
If it was a forward dated 1972 911 S that came up for sale looking like that people would be jumping up and down and calling it an abortion.

Not my cup of tea, but if hes happy thats the main thing.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

More pics
Attached Images   
Old 11-17-2015, 05:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

On another note, Paul sighted another Turbo 3.6 yesterday. 1994 NZ New. Midnight Blue. Rego looks to have run out in 2012. About 100,000km on the clock. Rego SNXXX
Old 11-17-2015, 05:38 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW PCNZ has a Grass Gymkhana on Sunday the 29th - anyone else going?
Old 11-17-2015, 06:11 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm keen, but rather do it in an old car I don't care about - the thought of cleaning out the grass and dirt for weeks has been all that's putting me off from entering!
Old 11-17-2015, 06:23 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Thanks Walter. Im sure 4WD becomes a contributing factor also. Its definitely something better suited to a set of tyres towards the end of their life agreed.

I was thinking a space much larger than HD skid pan. Something you can set up a US style auto X course on for a bit of competition and then some mock corners (say 250m long 90kmph like T9+10 at HD) where one can learn to hold a sideways drift and experiment with slip angles and envelope f traction.

A large apron would be fine. Im sure the military have some huge disused spaces. If someone feels interested enough they will try and organise it.
Gotta watch dem drifters http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news...lholland-drive
Old 11-17-2015, 06:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

This would have been the perfect send-off for BB but the 'H' is likely not welcome. In its current configuration it would have cleaned up as well. With its lightening work and only a handbrake working it is a weapon...

Paul, any chance we could tag on to the end of the day, just using the site?
Old 11-17-2015, 06:34 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regrettably, the reality is the military don't have huge disused spaces and there is little appetite to incur any risk to reputation or capability. It wasn't that long ago that an ex-A4 pilot went on a midnight run down the runway at Ohakea in his Bavarian Motor Wagen and ended up clearing a path through the ILS aerial. Rumour has it the damage went into 7 figures.
Best bet might be that sealed private airfield at Springfield; I understood he might be a car enthusiast. Anyone know him?
Old 11-17-2015, 06:38 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
I'm keen, but rather do it in an old car I don't care about - the thought of cleaning out the grass and dirt for weeks has been all that's putting me off from entering!
Yes, must admit I'd thought about that too, but keen to try it at least once and mine already has a natural patina underneath. If it's just dusty it should blow off but mud would need some dislodging. If the organisers are really onto it they may have arranged a high pressure hose at a nearby dairy farm?

Even if you end up getting a bit of a valet after, it's still cheap thrills.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:23 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Magnus Walkers 964 looks like some cheap foward dated 70's 911 that has been cheaply updated to look like a 964?
We have seen this kind of stuff around the world for years, until back dating became popular.
If it was a forward dated 1972 911 S that came up for sale looking like that people would be jumping up and down and calling it an abortion.

Not my cup of tea, but if hes happy thats the main thing.
Agreed it looks very cheap.

My unreserved judgement is it has fallen out of the ugly tree...and hit every branch on the way down. Butt Ugly. There's not a lot of lovers in the interweb, only the hardcore Walker fanboys. I still like earlier stuff

Old 11-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Yes, must admit I'd thought about that too, but keen to try it at least once and mine already has a natural patina underneath. If it's just dusty it should blow off but mud would need some dislodging. If the organisers are really onto it they may have arranged a high pressure hose at a nearby dairy farm?

Even if you end up getting a bit of a valet after, it's still cheap thrills.
Mmmm. You obviously haven't seen the latest price of a OCD valet then LOL. Jake has only just had his done...

Fair call Jase. It a shame we dont have any aircraft carriers you could arrange us to pout some cones on whilst in port. That would make some good drone footage and RSG would be famous.

I can get the Tony Lentino/Springfield owners contact details. Hes the owner of Instra. We talked about this a way back. A mate of mine in Oz sold him a Pilatus PC-12/47E a couple of years ago and they became good friends. Hes been down the strip in Tonys 991TTS a few times for joy rides. Hes a really private guy tho.

John, the front 3/4 shot of Magnus 964 looks a bit better. Probably due to the stance (front looks lower than RS spec). That said I think i would have flipped those huge 964 front indicators for clear ones as IMO the organge is out of place. I still agree with Nik it looks a bit like a "forward date" on an older chassis.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John, the front 3/4 shot of Magnus 964 looks a bit better. Probably due to the stance (front looks lower than RS spec). That said I think i would have flipped those huge 964 front indicators for clear ones as IMO the organge is out of place. I still agree with Nik it looks a bit like a "forward date" on an older chassis.
If I was starting my respray now I would be tempted to copy the front bumper treatment however I don't think the splitter works. My carbon fibre Techart splitter is far more subtle, but it's a one-off for Herman
Old 11-17-2015, 09:40 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Agreed it looks very cheap.

My unreserved judgement is it has fallen out of the ugly tree...and hit every branch on the way down. Butt Ugly. There's not a lot of lovers in the interweb, only the hardcore Walker fanboys. I still like earlier stuff

I know its only vinyl, but what was the owner of that 991 GT3 RS thinking?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?