Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^ I reckon you will be right!
Old 10-26-2015, 12:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Macca, just another thought:
Might be worth having a "hypothetical" discussion with a certifier or the LVVTA.
There are a few cul-de-sacs in the regs and it's important to start from the right place.

Justin Hansen at LVVTA could be worth talking to: http://www.nz-hotrod.com/vbulletin/s...Certification&

Cheers, Mike
Much appreciated mate. Excellent advice! I will start by talking with Justin. Ill let everyone know how it does. A project to research now and complete when Im back over Dec/Jan...
Old 10-26-2015, 01:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

According to Track-it 15 in Tour includes 3 doing the two day.

Only 3 x 911s. Only 5 names I recognize as annual regulars.

Quinn is back in the GTR which must be a relied for him.

Ron/Patsy have GTR (They told me with two of them the extra luggage space is needed).

Devon running a reliable lead car will make a difference for sure and I bet it will be the best Tour in years, but then these guys deserve it given what they are paying and the shame is that if it is good and the word spreads and the numbers double it probably wont be nearly as good next time etc.

Like Walt says with the restrictions and cost now for the Tour it would be better value to do the full comp if it weren't for the hassle of a MSNZ full cage and log book. Run a reliable modern car at 7/10th and you wouldnt need a crew other than a contract for someone to change your pads and tires. Would be more fun too.
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2015, 02:04 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Sounds like Peter M did listen:

I am told Devon is the tour leader in a new Aston Martin (Devon was the guy who took Walter and Doug on a special catch up stage tour).

Driving a bone stock Mazda 6 he had Walter at 10/10's and left Doug for dead in the boxster - this guy could seriously drive - I was seriously impressed........

Will be interesting to get Ron and Patsy's feedback - might be the best tour ever with only 14 cars and this guy driving??
Good stuff then, and glad Peter took the consensus onboard. Yeah, he was a police national driving instructor and knew how to pedal that Mazda hard enough to keep me in the flow for the full stage (both on street tyres) so can only imagine him in an Aston, though I suspect he won't be pushng it as hard as he did on that semi-private stage with just two cars behind him.

Says something about progress when a standard SkyActive 2.2 turbo diesel has sequential twin turbos a la the 959. Per Car and Driver "Redline has been raised to a screaming (for a diesel) 5200 rpm, versus its predecessor’s 4500. And it felt notably quicker than the gas-engined car, pulling strongly throughout the rev range and exhibiting none of the run-out-of-breath feeling that afflicts some diesels as they wind toward the upper end of the tach." I further console myself by hoping it might have been visited by the tune fairy before getting liveried up as an official Targa car. Regardless, it was an absolutely spectacular display of driving by Devon.

If anyone's looking to slip a bit of a sleeper wagon under the marital radar, you could do worse. They handle well, hit max torque at 2000rpm already and have unlockable potential:

Name:  Skyactiv 2.2D.JPG
Views: 261
Size:  24.3 KB

Last edited by 996tnz; 10-26-2015 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:13 AM
young_dennis
Advanced

Any of you guys running ps10 in your 964's? I'm thought that I'd raise the spring perch up to make the springs captive but now it's like a 4wd..I probably wound them up about 20 mm..now cat looks crap..what have you guys done? I want to run at least rs ride height
Old 10-26-2015, 05:09 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Good stuff then, and glad Peter took the consensus onboard. Yeah, he was a police national driving instructor and knew how to pedal that Mazda hard enough to keep me in the flow for the full stage (both on street tyres) so can only imagine him in an Aston, though I suspect he won't be pushng it as hard as he did on that semi-private stage with just two cars behind him.

Says something about progress when a standard SkyActive 2.2 turbo diesel has sequential twin turbos a la the 959. Per Car and Driver "Redline has been raised to a screaming (for a diesel) 5200 rpm, versus its predecessor’s 4500. And it felt notably quicker than the gas-engined car, pulling strongly throughout the rev range and exhibiting none of the run-out-of-breath feeling that afflicts some diesels as they wind toward the upper end of the tach." I further console myself by hoping it might have been visited by the tune fairy before getting liveried up as an official Targa car. Regardless, it was an absolutely spectacular display of driving by Devon.

If anyone's looking to slip a bit of a sleeper wagon under the marital radar, you could do worse. They handle well, hit max torque at 2000rpm already and have unlockable potential:

Attachment 985395
Bought a new 2.2 cx5 for the missus earlier this year after getting close to buying a new Tiguan, drove the new Cx-5 after seeing it down the road and the torquer drive made it the winner. As you say amazing stuff packed into daily drivers now. Those tuned figures look good too, not sure if that voids the warranty?
Old 10-26-2015, 05:40 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by young_dennis
Any of you guys running ps10 in your 964's? I'm thought that I'd raise the spring perch up to make the springs captive but now it's like a 4wd..I probably wound them up about 20 mm..now cat looks crap..what have you guys done? I want to run at least rs ride height
I have them and only just had a geo done. These settings are measure from the bottom of the bottom lock ring to the step just below where the threads end

Front 37-40mm
Rear 53-55mm

This provides my car a ride height of

Front 116/119mm
Rear 235/235mm

I have quite a bit of rake and may drop the rear a little more.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:43 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
Bought a new 2.2 cx5 for the missus earlier this year after getting close to buying a new Tiguan, drove the new Cx-5 after seeing it down the road and the torquer drive made it the winner. As you say amazing stuff packed into daily drivers now. Those tuned figures look good too, not sure if that voids the warranty?
It probably depends if you ask the tuner or the dealer.

One Aussie vendor's site says "Our servicing is approved for cars under the manufacturer’s warranty without affecting the warranty validity", but then cover themselves with the following page that essentially says all warranties still apply but the dealer can refuse to pay out on a fault that they can prove originated from the modification: http://chiptuning.com.au/aftermarket...te-warranties/

We have a Mazda too and it handles well for a people mover. Not on purpose but we seem to have a collection of three Le Mans winning marques, what with the Porsche and the Audi keeping it company.

Last edited by 996tnz; 10-26-2015 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:24 AM
young_dennis
Advanced

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
I have them and only just had a geo done. These settings are measure from the bottom of the bottom lock ring to the step just below where the threads end

Front 37-40mm
Rear 53-55mm

This provides my car a ride height of

Front 116/119mm
Rear 235/235mm

I have quite a bit of rake and may drop the rear a little more.
I guess yours it not very low?? I measured mine before and it was about 110 mm on the front but there is way to much gap. How much gap have you got between the top of the arch and top of the tire?
Old 10-26-2015, 06:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I did some business strategy consulting work for the guy who set up Parallel Imported in the early days. Under the CGA and NZ laws at least up till the time I left NZ (and we found reason to test these legally) the manufacturer would have to prove without reasonable doubt that the modification caused the damage they were refusing a claim. They can write what they like in their warranty but they cant contract out of the act.

The challenge with a chip unlike something such as something simple like an exhaust bypass I have fitted to my warranted GT3 is that it changes the timing and fueling and could be argued increases duress on engine internals beyond that specified from the manufacturer. The by pass is after the engine does its combustion and after the O2 sensors do their work after the cats and the side mufflers.

You could add a tune to the CX-5 and it wouldn't invalidate your warranty per see but it may in the case of a claim relating to and engine failure for example vs a wheel bearing or say a failed power steering pump....
Old 10-26-2015, 06:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I did some business strategy consulting work for the guy who set up Parallel Imported in the early days. Under the CGA and NZ laws at least up till the time I left NZ (and we found reason to test these legally) the manufacturer would have to prove without reasonable doubt that the modification caused the damage they were refusing a claim. They can write what they like in their warranty but they cant contract out of the act.

The challenge with a chip unlike something such as something simple like an exhaust bypass I have fitted to my warranted GT3 is that it changes the timing and fueling and could be argued increases duress on engine internals beyond that specified from the manufacturer. The by pass is after the engine does its combustion and after the O2 sensors do their work after the cats and the side mufflers.

You could add a tune to the CX-5 and it wouldn't invalidate your warranty per see but it may in the case of a claim relating to and engine failure for example vs a wheel bearing or say a failed power steering pump....
Old 10-26-2015, 06:35 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

I guess yours it not very low?? I measured mine before and it was about 110 mm on the front but there is way to much gap. How much gap have you got between the top of the arch and top of the tire?
At the front its RS -5mm . I can fit about one finger. Any lower then bump steer starts to become an issue.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:36 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Where did you measure from? At the front i'm RS -5mm. I can fit about one finger. Any lower then bump steer starts to become an issue.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
At the front its RS -5mm . I can fit about one finger. Any lower then bump steer starts to become an issue.
Paul and I will tell you bump steer is already an issue even at RS height. You just haven't experienced it yet. You will find it coming down from 200 at end of front straight HD. Under hard braking before turn in when suspension is loaded. There are a few places at Taupo as well. Its why they redesigned the front wheel carrier for the 964 RS, Cup etc and this was carried through to 993RS, RSR, Cup & GT2....
Old 10-26-2015, 07:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. might add the issue is not severe enough on the track nor noticeable enough on the road to justify the $3000 in parts and labour for the RS uprights, RS tie roads, new wheel bearing etc required to eliminate the bump steer IMO. Getting rid of the bump steer improves confidence to go faster but the issue itself isnt particularly dangerous that I know of or experienced...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?