Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 07:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
I love the boost, ideally tracking the 930 makes me the happiest, sadly this is not really sustainable. Biggest thing is having fun and whilst I won't be fastest, ill have big smile. Newer cars obviously pull the lap times, with the range of cars at track days battles are everywhere, doesn't matter what car, someones gonna be quicker. The SC will be a good car to learn in and im genuinely excited, the steering is very light, very different to both Turbos. The SC has been owned by Mark Glidden for about 10 years, he purchased through RS Consulting via a guy Andrew Justice, Marks retiring and doesnt have the time to race anymore, he's looking to pick up stock SC road car however. It's not a straight forward car, it was imported from the USA in 1981 and converted, conversion looks fairly tidy, unless there's a safety issue this doesn't bother me as it will never be a road car again. In a way it's a positive, don't need to worry about how im using/what im doing affects value. There's a few receipts from Europacific, had quick chat with Steve about the car, id been warned off other cars but seemed positive about this one. At the end of the day its buyer beware but the car is pretty tidy, track ready, warrantable, has good ownership/receipted history, drove well, straight, and fit for what im after. It came with most of the parts removed from the car, plus sets of new pads & starter motor. At the price point im pretty pleased and looking forward to chasing other air cooled's this summer.
Great work Pel. At this price you can't go wrong. I'll have to get the old girl out and join you for a session or two next year. It will be a great car to dial in on. You'll be surprised how quick it can be...
Old 10-06-2015, 02:49 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
Thought you were a boost bandito Looking forward to another air cooler on track. will be some more good times with another SC in the mix albeit even more track focused, (might not indulge the three wheel driving i witnessed from other SC drivers at Taupo
Here's something I'll lay down for you as a loose prediction:
The gruppe will have had a nice taste of modern metal with blitzing lap times but then slowly migrate back to the older 911's to fill in parts of the experience that might not be present. Driving a Very fast newer Porsche on the limit is quite a different proposition to an old 911 on many levels. Many have a good laugh at my ten year old road tyres but there is a single reason why I won't change them out for a set of R comps: It's more fun with less grip!
So, John is going exclusively air cooled, Pel probably now has the most fun per dollar car, Macca will sell the GT3 and re engage with the 993, Paul will get the 3.2 on the track and the GT3 will be retired / sold, Doug has made a permanent switch to air on track, Chris B will get a pre '73, Chris M will build his IROC....who else is weakening?
Old 10-06-2015, 03:11 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Pel. I think you have taken the thinking mans approach. 90 percent of the thrills for 20 percent of the cost. I too would like an ex race/track IB car and hot rod it (Walker's 78SCHR ish) with a focus on the track. The opex won't be all that much different from any other p car used the same way but i wouldn't feel too bad cutting it up and chucking around in anger. It would be loud and quite obnoxious. If the right car came along i'd have to seriously consider it....perhaps your SC was the car, doh! Well done mate i'm very happy for you and not the least bit envious
Old 10-06-2015, 03:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Here's something I'll lay down for you as a loose prediction: The gruppe will have had a nice taste of modern metal with blitzing lap times but then slowly migrate back to the older 911's to fill in parts of the experience that might not be present. Driving a Very fast newer Porsche on the limit is quite a different proposition to an old 911 on many levels. Many have a good laugh at my ten year old road tyres but there is a single reason why I won't change them out for a set of R comps: It's more fun with less grip! So, John is going exclusively air cooled, Pel probably now has the most fun per dollar car, Macca will sell the GT3 and re engage with the 993, Paul will get the 3.2 on the track and the GT3 will be retired / sold, Doug has made a permanent switch to air on track, Chris B will get a pre '73, Chris M will build his IROC....who else is weakening?
I'd back you on those predictions. There is a place for both camps and I think Pel nailed it in that there is a competitor at every level in the Gruppe. The arms race has raised the bar in the fast camp so much that we are talking racing speeds. Great to watch and be in with a good machine, which the R is, but I have just as much fun going wheel to wheel with the other 964s. Let's hope they all run on 10 year old tyres
Old 10-06-2015, 04:42 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
Will have three Porsches until my wife makes me sleep outside in one of them.
Nah man - that will just be an excuse to upgrade the man cave - haha harden up!
Old 10-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good prediction Dave. Might be something in that. I might be a bit slow to comply having just started to dial into the GT3 finally on NITT and finally have the confidence to chuck it around like I did the 993. For a B road raid the 993 is the weapon of choice and I don't see the GT3 going to Northland again. However by this time next year I'll be thinking about the 993 going to back to the track for sure. The arms race can continue without me....
Old 10-06-2015, 05:30 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
Nah man - that will just be an excuse to upgrade the man cave - haha harden up!
I suspect the Women in our lives laugh behind our backs at the concept of a man cave as they end up with the rest of the house as a woman cave.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:31 PM
nmaisey
Rennlist Member

nice work pel! the quick or the dead on that one.....

Im thinking similar to you but with blue 3.2. As Dave said never going to be worth much as a collectors item but fantastic as track or fun day car.

Would have to get it at a nice discount though to make the economics stack up......mind you economic rules seem to go out the window when dealing with p cars
Old 10-06-2015, 05:32 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Good prediction Dave. Might be something in that. I might be a bit slow to comply having just started to dial into the GT3 finally on NITT and finally have the confidence to chuck it around like I did the 993. For a B road raid the 993 is the weapon of choice and I don't see the GT3 going to Northland again. However by this time next year I'll be thinking about the 993 going to back to the track for sure. The arms race can continue without me....
Your arms race will be with 964's and road going 996/7's?

You still have one, just with a different gruppe on the track.

OK, so who's buying the blue 3.2 for $30K and caging it then? - Will owe you $35K? Only needs track pads as already has good upgrades??

The good thing about the SC is you can run in TACCOC against other classics like Alfas and Fezza's etc, and relive the 80's wings and wheels and be competative??

The rule for TACCOC is 15 years I think, so early 996's could now enter too?
Old 10-06-2015, 05:34 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...sport-racecar/

track only with pdk
Old 10-06-2015, 05:35 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nmaisey
mind you economic rules seem to go out the window when dealing with p cars
Yup.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:40 PM
BadgerNZ
Track Day

Originally Posted by mjharrisonnz
As Kiwi911 says I think prices are heading around 130.

Here's a quick calculation I worked out earlier..

996 GT3's in the UK with similar Km's (50Km) seem to be selling for anywhere between 65-75 pounds. Using a rough mid point would indicate a selling price of say 70 pounds. After expenses it works back something like this;

£70,000 - UK selling price
-£5,000 – UK registration fees, transport and commission to UK dealer
-£10,434 – 20% VAT payable into the UK
-£2,500 – Shipping costs and associated charges (NZD$6,000)
+£7,826 – NZ GST Refund on export

NZ Sale Price = £60,000 or $140,000 at todays exchange rate

Therefore taking into account time and other factors a NZ price of 130-135 seems about right.

If you work it out the other way - the cost of buying one in the UK and bringing here would end up owing you approx 190k after paying GST and shipping and given that you won't find a VAT Q GT3 in the UK.

If you want a real shock - have a look at what 997.1 GT3 RS's are asking in the UK!!
Thanks for that MJH!

Yeah, as I said, I think at those prices it's passed him by. He's already got a toy that's become too expensive to use in real anger, and at those prices, for something you actually want to use in anger on a track there's probably better deals out there. Might have to try and tempt him back into Lotus ownership as 100k will get you a V6 Exige with a bunch of fruit that'll deliver thrills and laptimes of a 991GT3 with a chunk less running costs. Certainly those who got into the 996 GT3 buzz 3-4 years ago have done very very well for themselves!
Old 10-06-2015, 06:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I agree it comes down to Intrinsic Return on Investment.

I think the reason why you are hearing so many on here talk about buying up SC's & 3.2s for track duty is that they are a cheap entry point, means there is less at risk on track and peoples minds feel freer to push the car and themselves to the limit.

The prices on 964, 993 & GT3 has spoilt this form any on here I suspect. I get the feeling there are a few 964 owners, definitely a 930 owner and I have no doubt others that would rather subject a rougher lower cost example of the marque to out and out track work than a tidy road version which is appreciating in price, especially once one realises the accelerated mechanical wear and tear pushing on at the track entails not to mention the pebble dashed paint work and window screens etc.

I think 3.2 & SC ex race cars around 30K fit really well here but also 996 C2 that are solid will start to proliferate at RSG in teh next few years once folk find h=out how effective these can be for the $$$. I think Steve R is leading by example here but it will only take someone like Chris M on Z221 with slight lowering of his chassis to start to nibble older GT3s at HD (already doing high 1.48 at Taupo with 180 tread wear roadies so probably around late 146's on Z221 which is impressive), then everyone will realize the game is up.

The other end of the spectrum is the new hardware. Import your own new GT3 for 200K or a new Gt4 for 170K and get the benefits of brand new componentry (tyres, brakes, pads, fluids, engine and tranny) with 3 years factory warranty including since 991/981 gen on the track and just go out there and run up the Kms and push it is as hard as you will for a few years then sell with hopefully nominal depreciation but having had an overall low cost for speed ROI. The other end of the spectrum maybe but with many folk on here with 2 - 3 cars now nudging 200K total value its a fully viable option. Something like a new GT3/4 will also be a far better D than an older 964/993 and thus can cover all bases. The GT4 if acquired new for around 170Kish personal import could provide the perfect all round "value" weekend B road, track and DD car.

Return on Investment. Not always measured in $$$.

It will be interesting to see where RSG goes with its mix of cars. I think we are already seeing the division. GT3 in one group (with the Cayman Rs and some race cars) and old timers. At the beginning we had almost no GT3 (just Neil). Now we have many. But in the future I think the lower cost aircooled ex race/targa cars and the 996/997 gen could start to take up the numbers.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:36 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Personally i like the thought of driving a lower powered but light weight air cooled car. I'm at the stage where the water cooled machines just don't do anything for me (relatively). I've been slowly moving back to older cars which are all mechanical and less electronic. I'm even find the 964 has a little to much electrickery for my tastes. It all started when i was appalled by the fact i had to have a battery coded to a cars computer. I'm less about lap time and more about purity of the drive - not to mention they are much simpler for the home mechanic to work on
Old 10-06-2015, 06:51 PM
shiraz
Racer

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/nz-a...engined-marvel

nothing new here, but interesting anyway & Jim Richards likes it.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?