Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 09:57 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I think Dave's a purist.
So we need to sneak over under dark and RSG it then do we?

Driving his SC was nice. The front is pretty lively and nice not having a tunnel so you can comfortably flop your left foot out to the left of the clutch pedal. The gearbox is nice to. Long shifts with a nice click to them. Would take time to get the confidence to throw it through the corners. I just tootled along in it.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Lola is back where she belongs all fresh and shiny. Very happy with Steve's work. So much care and attention to detail went into it. They even steam cleaned the engine and painted the wiper hardware. Dave took me down to Pirongia and we ogled the Orange T. She's getting the attention now that Lola is all done. We took the long way back, towards Raglan, SH22, Ridge Road and m'way from Bombay Hills. We swapped cars for a little bit towards the end of the run. The two red cars looked great together. A few pics...
Good one guys. Donna texted Dave to see if he could deliver parts to Steve. Dave was already in Pirongia at 8:30. Like I said Donna not one for early starts. Looking forward to seeing Lola in the metal again and seeing whether Herman's engine management unit has added real horsepower
Old 03-06-2015, 10:15 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You will be a happy boy Doug. Looking good. now you are back to full garage you will have decisions about which car to drive on the weekends
Old 03-06-2015, 10:26 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Good advice Phil. Pel - all 996T wings seem to die eventually. Mine started throwing errors and raising unevenly at around the 90,000 km mark so I pulled the rams apart and serviced them. Fiddly, but not too hard, though I would recommend getting or making the wing removal tool, unless someone likes hearing you swear. I also had to grind a spanner down so it was narrow enough to fit the nuts on the rams, but you can borrow mine if you want. Her wing is working properly again since but I'd gotten to like the ducktail look so I've left the controller unplugged for now and just manually raise it for track or race. IMO, the wing failure stems from the wing controller waiting until you've done a certain time or distance (distance I think) under 70 odd kph before it lowers the wing. If you park overnight directly after a fast drive without tootling through say a 50 kph zone first, the wing stays up, with those massive return springs stressing the hydraulics. The result is an eventual leak from one or both rams as the seals give up the struggle. More rarely, the wing drive motor or the ABS plastic yoke on the screw may break too, and the position sensing microswitches are pretty fragile when handled. If you always remember to manually lower the wing when parked for more than a few hours, it should last you longer. When I can be bothered, I'll plug the controller back in and wire in a manual over-ride to turn the wing off when I don't want it doing its thing. Most like the wing up look and there are cheap kits on eBay that replace the hydraulics with lighter fixed posts - a popular option. Not sure where I put them but I also took a bunch of photos documenting the wing mechanism service. Previously discussed the problem here: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...spoiler-3.html and my DIY write up of the service I carried out is at the below link (sans photos though sorry): https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...land-1080.html My pet peeve with the wing is that the rams are cylindrical rather than a more aerodynamic design. Even the eBay fixed ones are round...
Thanks for the info, will have a read up. The wing has started working again, Im going to get the coolant pipes pinned in a couple of weeks so will get the guys to have a look then.

Doug if you get an air cooled drive going let me know, no 930 at present but hoping to have back by next weekend.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:28 PM
Thesnowman
Intermediate

Is the owner of this on here? http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=sc911

Saw it this am in Henderson Valley (Auckland)
Old 03-06-2015, 10:36 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I think Dave's a purist.
I think you are right. Less is more....
Old 03-06-2015, 10:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great write up Dave. I'm very curious as to how much better these old timers are to pilot now you keep making mention of it! I've never driven anything older than a 964. Maybe I shouldn't could be expensive!!

My wife bought me this t shirt yesterday. Was a bit upset by it. I don't think it's true? Tonight I challenged her to a Margarita challenge at a little restaurant on the beach. This place makes VERY strong Margaritas!!! As in one and your spinning and two and you are leg less. Needless to say I lost, she is leg less and I am now officially receiving no posts from Rennlist for a week!!! So it's adios amigos and hasta la vista BaBy!!
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2015, 10:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
Thanks for the info, will have a read up. The wing has started working again, Im going to get the coolant pipes pinned in a couple of weeks so will get the guys to have a look then. Doug if you get an air cooled drive going let me know, no 930 at present but hoping to have back by next weekend.
There's a Porsche Club run on the 15th. May be we should be sociable.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:12 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds good, I'm not a member of the Porsche Club. Just filled out the online registration so hopefully set by the 15th.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:17 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Macca - you won't last 24hrs......... easier to give up sex, alcohol or breathing for that matter.........

Dave - I have just been reading the orange thread from the beginning (sorry I wasn't subscribed)............ arrrrr............this is just going to be the coolest 911 out there............

(P.s. - I had to giggle when you said it was going to be ready in March..........I'll give you to the 31st!!)

The SC will be no contest - the T is lighter, faster, has more torque and fresh suspension.......... think everything the SC could be with $50K pumped into it..........
Old 03-07-2015, 12:27 AM
integralenz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrphil
the red 991 GT3 at armstongs is gone and a 993 turbo has popped up in its place
http://sales.armstrongmotorgroup.com...o-nz-new-6889/

so which one of you was it?
993 turbo "withdrawn".
Old 03-07-2015, 12:30 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt38088
You will be a happy boy Doug. Looking good. now you are back to full garage you will have decisions about which car to drive on the weekends
Yes, a happy puppy for now :-)

Originally Posted by Pel
Doug if you get an air cooled drive going let me know, no 930 at present but hoping to have back by next weekend.
There's a Porsche Club run on the 15th. May be we should be sociable.
Nah. Too many cars for me. It is a Run run we've don't before and will be a crowd.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:31 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
Sounds good, I'm not a member of the Porsche Club. Just filled out the online registration so hopefully set by the 15th.
I've entered. Only names I know so far are Ron and Patsy. Hopefully we'll get some more there. I'll bring out the R unless some air-cooled cars enter.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:35 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

With regards to the 15 March run - I shall adopt my current position

Anyone doing Ron's run tomorrow??
Old 03-07-2015, 12:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
With regards to the 15 March run - I shall adopt my current position
Recumbent and Porsche less?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?