Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 06:52 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
yes signed a disclaimer
Wow. Was it along the lines of 'this ones really gnarly and best left to experts - sign here if you still want to have a go at your own risk and will hold Targa free from harm'?
Old 11-02-2015, 07:01 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Wow. Was it along the lines of 'this ones really gnarly and best left to experts - sign here if you still want to have a go at your own risk and will hold Targa free from harm'?
something like that Walt. That you have been advised of certain risks. I didn't read it - co-driver signed as by the time they give it to you at the check in to the stage control you are already suited up helmet on gloves on and belts so hard to do much in the car.

Its a bit of a give away isn't it - to take care. Thing is there may be up to 4 or 5 extra instructions so its difficult to know which one is going to be the killer risk until it arrives in front of you
Old 11-02-2015, 07:08 AM
young_dennis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you guys like to talk values a 964 c2 in Japan has sold for about $113k nzd..that's the auction price..it is low km and must be in a pretty much new condition get that much money. So the values are still up there
Old 11-02-2015, 02:01 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Japan prices have gone up pretty quickly in the last 9 months and are now in line with the rest of the bubble. I'm basing that on what I've seen on auction sites however. I think you'd still have an opportunity to pick up a car at a decent price if you could do so before it went to auction.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Japan prices have gone up pretty quickly in the last 9 months and are now in line with the rest of the bubble. I'm basing that on what I've seen on auction sites however. I think you'd still have an opportunity to pick up a car at a decent price if you could do so before it went to auction.
There seems to be a steady stream of nice cars coming to auction there, and they are being well marketed through sites like the FB 964 club so International exposure no doubt helps with achieving international prices.

I'm amazed that the Green WB cab went for $30,000 locally so holding out hope that there is still a chance of picking up a bargain somewhere. I want a manual coupe in rough mechanical condition but must have no rust or serious accident history. I would do an extreme weight strip on it and fettle it mechanically.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Meanwhile I carry on with the work on Herman. Waiting on a pulley bolt to get that side sorted so working on the clutch and flywheel. The clutch looks fine. Just need to see if I have a RMS leak.
Attached Images     
Old 11-02-2015, 02:52 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I know Macca's stomach turns when we talk prices and says overseas has no relevance.

Sadly it does, even if you have no intention of exporting as the cost to import is even bigger for us when you add shipping and GST. At the moment we have more cars leaving than coming, so the pool is diminishing.........

I see Carlos's GT3 sold and everyone 3 months ago said $130K was too much for a GT3 - now the norm I guess?

Andrew Ryan tells me the 3.3T that Gillies had for $189K has sold (I don't know what for), but let’s say well north of $150K, so this is the new norm for them?

If you don't agree with international pricing, the only option is to sit on the side line pooh-hoo the new international pricing and live in the hope you are right and someone will sell you a long hood for $30K, SC for $27K or 3.3T for $75K – coz we are in NZ?? (let me know how that goes??)
Old 11-02-2015, 02:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I see Carlos's GT3 sold and everyone 3 months ago said $130K was too much for a GT3 - now the norm I guess?
You have used up your monthly spruiking limit and it's only the third of the month
Old 11-02-2015, 02:58 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have any Targa Tour feedback - (other than the accidents)

Was the feedback good with the new tour leader and car?

Be interested to hear?
Old 11-02-2015, 03:30 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Does anyone have any Targa Tour feedback - (other than the accidents)

Was the feedback good with the new tour leader and car?

Be interested to hear?
no feedback from me. Mostly the tour guys are gone by the time we arrive and we also had a couple of later service jobs chasing some braking/hub issues
Old 11-02-2015, 04:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I know Macca's stomach turns when we talk prices and says overseas has no relevance.

Sadly it does, even if you have no intention of exporting as the cost to import is even bigger for us when you add shipping and GST. At the moment we have more cars leaving than coming, so the pool is diminishing.........

Andrew Ryan tells me the 3.3T that Gillies had for $189K has sold (I don't know what for), but let’s say well north of $150K, so this is the new norm for them?

If you don't agree with international pricing, the only option is to sit on the side line pooh-hoo the new international pricing and live in the hope you are right and someone will sell you a long hood for $30K, SC for $27K or 3.3T for $75K – coz we are in NZ?? (let me know how that goes??)
There is no doubt I find the subject of money vulgar when it comes to my hobby and passion and the regularity by which the subject is brought up and the column inches it fills here I often think is a waste of good space. It seems to be a very important subject for some so maybe I'm wrong in being strong with my opinion. It's funny because on the other two sections of this forum I visit where both models of cars have been appreciating, the subject rarely is discussed.

A single sale does not make the market? You paid mid 70s for your GT3 6 months ago. Was that the market then based on your single purchase? Someone pays 130k last month is that now the market price?

And yet there are still bargains to be had out there as have recently been proved by guys on here. Vince paid 25k for a 964C2, Rickey paid well under that for his C4. Pel did a great deal on his SC etc

It's like how the property market gets going isn't it. If we talk about it enough perhaps it may happen.

I understand "international pricing". I think ice taken the time on this thread to explain better than most how it works. I've been involved in exporting a few Porsches in the last 18 months as well as importing 4 from 3 different locations in the last 12 years.

International pricing affects our market mostly because it lowers the number of cars available for us to buy. This is the primary reason I'm sorry to see this while sad affair with pricing bubbles etc in UK which is a RHD market.

If you could actually get UK prices in NZ for Nz cars then none would be exported right?

Accepting there is a knock on affect the best price generally achieved will be when a car is purchased by an offshore party in s market where the value is higher.

I'm not inclined to take what Max and Andrew tell me at face value as I've listened to those stories before then met the vendors and found out the truth which has often differed significantly.

There are people that get carried away and talk the market up, not considering the complexities and metrics of the market they are comparing our prices too. There are those that talk the market down. I'd like to think that to this debate I've brought some balanced reason as to why you can't realistically ask Uk/Au. prices in NZ. If that actually was the case I'm sure many of us would have sold up already.

I'm in the lucky position to own two cars both of which seem to be rising fast in value in the UK market. So I have no axe to grind. However I feel very sad about this price appreciation as it increases the barrier to entry for others that may not be as lucky, reduces the pool of cars for us all to choose from in the future and makes saw point into and out of 911s of differing generations expensive and difficult.

That's the reason I don't like price discussions here Paul and I also sense we drive the others mad in debating them. Probably make a lot more friends around here is we have those conversations offline or not at all?
Old 11-02-2015, 04:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Graeme. Watched your youtube last night once the internet waves were free and I could crank up some speed. Watched the whole clip. Love that stage and its such a long one too. Very changeable conditions through the duration. Thankfully you have AWD to help. Some really sight sections in there (15kmph signage). Id forgotten how that stage can be so tight in places. There's little the navigator can add in there sometimes as line of sight is limited even form the passenger side. The key challenge with that stage is not to loose your concentration I suspect. That one and the one in are my favs. But they can be hairy too. Great driving overall, bring it in after a fairly neat and tidy stage when others haven't is satisfying too. Glad no one was hurt.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Love your work. You will have to clean up the exterior bell housing on the engine side a bit tho. Have you measured the thickness of the clutch material against stock new? if its even close to 50% worn may be worth flipping it for new now as the labour involved to do this later when its worn out is not insignificant even if you are doing it yourself in your rented garage (after Donna has finally decided to put her foot down having signed up for a banker not a Grease Monkey?). I see a small unit down the road in Glenninnes with a small cot bed in the mezzanine and a couple of old couches and sky decoder down on the polished concrete floor where Herman, Hermans sister and other RSG cars lie scattered on the floor in various states of debauchery). Meals will be by pizza delivery and RSG peeps will regularly pp in when passing by. On the weekends you will return to the Kohie Castle and keep marital bliss. I think Ive probably described every "blokes" perfect working relationship and "shed". I digress.....
Old 11-02-2015, 05:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
You have used up your monthly spruiking limit and it's only the third of the month
I had to look this up. Learnt something today already (can go back to bed now!). I think I must have used my monthly limit up by 01 Nov!
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2015, 05:15 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I'm not that fussed on the price debate as well.. I get more excited to see new cars on the road that I have previously not seen before. There seem to be more and more popping up down these parts which is great.

Quick question... When is the SITT? I understand its coming up? Would be nice to sneak out to Ruapuna and/or Levels to have a sneaky peek!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?