Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 12:56 AM
Caymansnz
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there
Iv'e got a 997.1 C4
I'm thinking about changing the exhaust system to get a deeper sound what is available here in NZ that is good but not too drony at causing speeds
Old 09-20-2015, 12:58 AM
Caymansnz
Intermediate

Default Exhaust upgrade?

Hi there
Iv'e got a 997.1 C4
I'm thinking about changing the exhaust system to get a deeper sound what is available here in NZ that is good but not too drony at cruising speeds.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:08 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Caymansnz
Hi there
Iv'e got a 997.1 C4
I'm thinking about changing the exhaust system to get a deeper sound what is available here in NZ that is good but not too drony at cruising speeds.
Google Sharkworks or talk to Steve at Europacific as he has lots of Fabspeed stuff.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:48 AM
Caymansnz
Intermediate

Thanks for that will do

Cheers
Old 09-20-2015, 04:26 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

There's also the option of getting something fabricated locally. I've been talking to a couple of guys regarding an exhaust for my Turbo. Yet to bite the bullet but may come to fruition this year.

I was about to push the button on a Kline exhaust and Cobb AP, but the NZD went from being Bronze to Pig Iron rather rapidly, and now I can't justify it to my inner miser!
Old 09-20-2015, 04:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I really enjoyed the social side, but track wise struggled on the NITT - not sure if it was my head space or whether it is just easier to blame the tyres. I did struggle to get the tyre temps right on both tracks. Taupo was not good for me, I got the car out of shape quite badly on a few occasions and just wasn't in the mood for tempting fate....... I did try driving at 7/10's but it was a bit boring.........

500 odd laps at HD makes it easier................

When I am not going well at the track (whether it be HD or another track) - I just call it quits as this is when it gets dangerous (IMHO). I don't want to force myself or the car.

Last year the car tyre choice and my head space wasn't right at Taupo with the rain, so I went shopping and swimming with the wife, and Tony when home with a written off car??.....JMc got bragging rights that he was faster than me in the 993 in his 964 - and good for him.

I know you guys are looking for a bite on the "competitive" comment, and yes I do like to 'hold my own' against guys in similar cars (honestly, who doesn't??) - but I am not 'nasty competitive' and will complement someone who drives well, whether it's Macca on the SITT in a similar 993 car or Nigel, when he takes a 16 yr old GT3 and competes with new GT3's. Nigel's speed through the corners was amazing and there was no way I could have kept pace, yet at HD, with Nigel, there is nothing in it from past experience.

Well said Paul and good on you for being honest (well apart for 500 laps at HD under you belt - thats 11 track days and you must have completed at least 3x that since 2012 LOL!).

IMO we all run such different cars on the track (even though they may be similar models or generations they modification between them, tyre choice and comparing laps from different days and conditions etc) that its impossible to compare skills relatively. Youd need a one make series to achieve that and even then the car set up would be a "third party factor".

HD was a game of two halves today. Pouring on the way out there, wet for the first session and very damp for the second then rain and hail making the third Prestige session postponed (I didnt even bother to go out - just two lonely GTRs out there it was so bad). Roger Scholes turned up for two sessions then headed home after the hail. Paul visited for session two with a friend who I took out on the second session. Ron & Patsy probably looked at the forecast and flagged it away...

After lunch the weather held and the line started to dry with only a few intermittent showers. T10 never really dried out for the line I like to use in the 911 and I never exceeded 140kmph at the end of the outside chicane (previous best here was 154 kmph). Naturally this affected the Vmax on the straight before T1, never getting beyond about 228kmph (previous best was 234kmph).

T2 into over the hill I couldnt get right all day. I need someone to show me the line. Ive had 4 days at HD in the GT3 (3 of them wet or damp) and I still cant nail that turn and over the hill - Im over guessing - I need someone to jump in the car and show me!
Old 09-20-2015, 05:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The highlight of the day was chasing the GTRs.

Xtreme Performance Racing were a bunch of GTR guys with a race shop and mechanics and a BBQ and lots of fuel, food and girls. Run by the Bros and an Asian mechanic ("Arnie" - he was 5' nothing). Bloody generous guys, Ian the owner saw this lonely white bloke, with his poncy Porsche standing in the pouring rain wondering where he was going to get changed and offered a slot in their double garage, then proceeded to throw some shrimp, steak and chicken on the BBQ that the Bros had bought along in their old L200 support van. The generosity and hospitality was out of this work (Im sure the pictures of a Porsche GT3 in their garage is doing the rounds on FB as we speak with leary stories on how they hosed me LOL!).

Arnie built the worlds fastest GTR with a trap time of 1.07.68 for the 1/4 mile. Beat the HKS team and the record still stands. Lovely bloke. He owned a 480kw R33 GTR you can see in the picture below and on one of the later sessions of the day re arranged the side of the car and creased the rood a little too. Real shame as it was a rocket. Incident was T2. I think he put it down to a lack of judicious throttle application. Thats the problem with 480Kw. You need to harness it. I guess its wasnt till the 34/35 generation they fully nailed this.

Another unfortunate misshap was Grant a 50 something property guy who had bought himself a brand new Camero Z01. 540 bhp. Amazing amount of car for the money ($90K from Bunts Motors or $50K USD in the states). Big wheels, tyres and brakes. Like alot of Amercian muscle getting it all down takes some finesse. Unfortunately in session 3 (the wet one after the hail storm that I sat out) he came off T10 and dinged it down the left side front and rear panel. Not bad mind you as he could still do laps in it but the ESC light would come on meaning the wheels were probably knocked out of geo. I gave him a lift home at the end of the day after he dropped the car off at the panel shop next to Steves unit. The game plan was get it repaired before the missus found out - made easier by the fact he usually stores it in a Mt Eden unit like mine so will still rock home in his daily beater (Jeep Grand Chereoke 2015 SRT - nice wagon for the money by the way!).

Here are the Xtreme guys (crappy picture) and the R33 that later looked much more rumpled!
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2015, 05:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Xtreme Performance had the man power, support team and gear but they didnt know much about tyre management. I wondered why they werent checking their tyre pressures and after one of the afternoon sessions when a particular white GT3 was giving them a bit of bother and they were pushing one we found out why they were finding the tyres greazy after four laps. 47.5 psi! They handt adjusted the pressures on any of the GTRs since the morning cold/wet sessions. The centre of the front left hand tyre (takes more heat at HD) had torn itself out by the tread blocks! essentially it was running just on the tyre centres and understanding. Its a testement to these cars awesome power and torque that the GT3 could keep with them in the afternoon. With toyo R88 the owner of Xtreme Ians 2012 spec R35 GT3 (in the back of the picture above) makes an easy 650 bhp. He has every consievebale upgrade, CF this and that, massive rear racing spoiler and dome Forgeline road wheels/tyres he rolled in on (that cost him 12K for the set!).

The GTR is an awesome car. A stock 2014 model on R070 tyres (140 tread wear) making 542 bhp and well driven by one of the regulars there was keeping up with Ians massively modified car. Mind you and again no tyre temp management to speak of so they could have been quicker still if they had managed that.

From what I gathered a 2012 GT3 driven well on the factory tyres is good for a 1.13 on a cool dry HD day and a 1.12 on R888. Ian car was probably capable of a second more. For $2500 Ians company can take a 2013 R35 and add 80 bhp bringing it to over 600 bhp and almost 600lbft.

Huge bang for the buck.

Only downside? Running a GTr all day in the 13s is expensive business. It makes running a 991 GT3 look like running an Elise does to a GT3 owner! A set of factory discs are over 8K, pads and tyres will need recycling every 3 dry track days and when things get warm (even today when it was cold) the computer and transmission can overheat and throw limp mode.

On the subject of GTR, an older gentleman racer called Andrew brought out the Metalman "Logical" GTR. A beast with almost 700 bhp and R comps set up with every modification and a winner/place holder at the Targa NZ and various race meets. You guessed it, It blew its gearbox! Apparently it was in need of a rebuild. 15K is about the going rate....

So the GT3 can be thrashed all day long, for three track days in a row (without a wash - yikes!) without going above 90c on the coolant or 108 on the oil, any brake fade, and with tyres intact....we have to take the wins where we can LOL!
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2015, 05:30 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Originally Posted by Macca

T2 into over the hill I couldnt get right all day. I need someone to show me the line. Ive had 4 days at HD in the GT3 (3 of them wet or damp) and I still cant nail that turn and over the hill - Im over guessing - I need someone to jump in the car and show me!
Just leave the car with the RSG boys - we'll run a few track days and have the line sorted out for next time you're back.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

So the day wasn't perfect. But the big surprise for me were the times I managed to post in the later part of the day. The track wasn't perfect and to be perfectly honest my driving was shabby in T2 & over the hill. T10 just couldnt hold the line I wanted and the price was exit speed and Vmax.

I did however manage a personal best despite myself. I put this down to chasing those damn GTRs! I certainly didnt deserve to go under 1.14 but 7 sessions in the 13s over two sessions very tightly clustered gives some evidence of consistency. I actually didnt believe it when I saw it as the driving wasnt anything special. Theres definitely a second on the table just looking at the traces. Im faster in 7 of the 10 turns than my previous PB but alot slower out of T2, T10 and Vmax into T1. Perhaps with Pete/Paul/Chris Steve etc giving me some in car tuition I can clean up T2 & over the hill. A nice low humidity dry HD day (seems to be on a ratio of 1:3 for me) would sort out T10 & vmax. Im guessing a high 1.12 is a reality.

Dont worry Im not going to pretend Im a driving god, the car is awesome (and a critical part of the performance) and Im learning much more about driving it a bit ragged on the limit since returning to NZ. I know Ive been ***** footing around earlier in the year, Ive been a bit risk adverse, but now Im getting to understand the chassis and not feel intimidated - its feeling much better. So Im not driving as well as I could, I cant figure out some of the lines and I need some instruction, but I have started to learn how to man handle it and throw it around a bit more a bit further towards the edge of its "circle of friction" and for now thats enough to get a acceptable result. It will be nice to see what it can do when I can nail the line. Im sure one of the above folk could put a mid/low 12 on it but Im not at that level yet. Just not enough seat time at HD (today was 6th day at HD - 3 wet, 3 dry, two dry in 993 and the rest in GT3).

P.S. The brakes are still rumbling like mad. The endless MX72 front pads are now done with only 4-5mm pad surface left and they would unlikley complete another day - so 3 hard track days only from these at $700 the paid. Im not impressed at all. Worse still they have either transferred pad material to upset the braking or they have warped the rotors. Ill be a bit p*ssed if the later - alghough with 8 track days on them and 12,000 road kms (including some fast drives) the factor rotors should have had another track day or two left in them. $2500 a pair - need I say more! Good news is the rear pads and discs still look like 65%!

Pads will come off next week and old factory ones (that had seen 5 track days and 10,000 road km and still had 45% left on the fronts and 70% on the rears) will go back on till the front discs need replacing...

Here is the best lap and a screen shot aka Buba style of the last two sessions...
Attached Images    
Old 09-20-2015, 05:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Just leave the car with the RSG boys - we'll run a few track days and have the line sorted out for next time you're back.
It will be far cheaper if you can sit in the car with me for a session Pete ;-)

Ill post a few videos of the day tonight when I have time. Interestingly most of the laps have traffic. Back markers come up quick in the GT3 and by lap 4/5 the rear of the field becomes a reality. Some were good at moving over but most just kept their foot into it which became a bit tiring. Everyone wants to race a Porsche - for the GTRs they just move over!
Old 09-20-2015, 06:38 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

This isn't the fastest lap but it was one of the few clear ones I got without traffic. You can see the exit speed from T10 is 137 with the mid corner speed quite low at 95 and the Vmax here is 230 which is not quite as high as my lap in July last year where the exit on T10 was 154 and the mid corner speed just over 100kmph. I think a dry line is needed to use more of the track and the "double apex" is not able to be used so easily as the track is still a bit damp and greasy further out on T10 as no one uses this line to dry it. Unfortunately I used Performance Box last year so cant overlay the two graphs but side by side you can see I made a bit of time on the infield (still having troup with the same T2 & up and over the hills both days) but lost most of that gain in T10/T1vmax.

The telemetry is useful. Mostly its useful for showing where you went wrong!

Old 09-20-2015, 07:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

A bit of fun. Here is a slower lap with a passenger session 2. Its still damp. Session 2 was between our downpour in Session 1 and the deluge/hail in session 3 before the rain abated. I was chasing Roger Scholes in his 2013 GTR. He drives odd lines but with almost 500lbft under the foot and 4WD the car can pretty much walk any like it wants. Pretty amazing car given the size and weight. His is the "R" what ever than means. We sat behind him the whole session - no chance to overtake these GTRs even in the GT3 , but Roger was driving well so all was good.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:27 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macca - have a look at Roger's lines through 2 & 3. Not perfect but a lot closer to ideal. I think you are turning in a bit early to 2 although you hold the right hand strip ok. But you need to stay mid track to half way up the rise before turning in (left) and straight lining through the apex with max exit speed.

You come across from the right side of the rise to the left a bit too early (which means you are off the gas while the car is turning). Hanging out to the right a bit more will give you the higher exit speed you are looking for.

All IMO others may do it differently but it works for the 44 where you need to carry speed in lieu of hp!
Old 09-20-2015, 07:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

One last note. That rumbling sound in the audio channel isnt air flowing into the cabin. The windows are shut, that is mostly the rumble trough the chassis (the mic is afixed to the cage bolted to the chassis) of the brakes rumbling under pedal depression! Occasionally you will hear it when I drive over a chicane too. You can visibly see the wheel trembling on the lead into T1 under brakes and a little before T10 & T5 as well. The brakes appear to work fine and do the job (no fade) but the vibration they cause through the steering is alarming!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?