Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 05:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I had to look this up. Learnt something today already (can go back to bed now!). I think I must have used my monthly limit up by 01 Nov!
A word commonly used in Dingo land. Not so much here, which is a pity as it describes the behavior so well. The stock market equivalent is pump and dump.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Another delivery. The Sony head unit was too bling even when in black out mode. This will hopefully be easy to wire in. Now to find some speakers.
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2015, 05:57 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm in the lucky position to own two cars both of which seem to be rising fast in value in the UK market. So I have no axe to grind. However I feel very sad about this price appreciation as it increases the barrier to entry for others that may not be as lucky, reduces the pool of cars for us all to choose from in the future and makes saw point into and out of 911s of differing generations expensive and difficult.
This is what gets to me, but only because I've procrastinated on buying an older car and have watched the prices climb to the point where I'm hesitant to "invest". Still on the lookout for the right summer cruiser. The Wimbledon Green wide body irks me, mostly due to the way the seller behaved. I respect Glynn for saving the news so he could tell me in person and see the look on my face when I started fuming!
Old 11-02-2015, 06:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

SITT dates below. You are welcome to come. You could even join us at Highlands as we have some slots available. We have a couple of 911 guys from ChCH joining us just for that day. Will be around 15 x Porsche Cayman/911 there including 2 x new GT4, Cayman R & GTS, & 3 x new GT3 and a new 991TTS if that's of any interest. 40% of the field are Caymans. This year 99% of the cars are water cooled. Just more reliable and better for these trips I guess. Last year 65% were aircooled. But you need more support with 20+ year old cars and they arent so compliant for the 4000+km of touring between the tracks. This year we are all using one set of tyres for everything - I think it will be a bit more social and a little less competitive. Some You might beable to get a few laps in the passenger seat if you bring your overalls/helmet. Id be happy to take you out.

11 March (Fri) - Teretonga Invercargill
14 March (Mon) - Afternoon Highlands Cromwell (60km from QT). 3 groups = 6 x 15 min sessions
16 March (Wed) - Levels Timaru
17 March (Thurs) - Ruapuna Christchurch
Old 11-02-2015, 06:13 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no doubt I find the subject of money vulgar when it comes to my hobby and passion and the regularity by which the subject is brought up and the column inches it fills here I often think is a waste of good space. It seems to be a very important subject for some so maybe I'm wrong in being strong with my opinion. It's funny because on the other two sections of this forum I visit where both models of cars have been appreciating, the subject rarely is discussed.

A single sale does not make the market? You paid mid 70s for your GT3 6 months ago. Was that the market then based on your single purchase? Someone pays 130k last month is that now the market price?

And yet there are still bargains to be had out there as have recently been proved by guys on here. Vince paid 25k for a 964C2, Rickey paid well under that for his C4. Pel did a great deal on his SC etc

It's like how the property market gets going isn't it. If we talk about it enough perhaps it may happen.

I understand "international pricing". I think ice taken the time on this thread to explain better than most how it works. I've been involved in exporting a few Porsches in the last 18 months as well as importing 4 from 3 different locations in the last 12 years.

International pricing affects our market mostly because it lowers the number of cars available for us to buy. This is the primary reason I'm sorry to see this while sad affair with pricing bubbles etc in UK which is a RHD market.

If you could actually get UK prices in NZ for Nz cars then none would be exported right?

Accepting there is a knock on affect the best price generally achieved will be when a car is purchased by an offshore party in s market where the value is higher.

I'm not inclined to take what Max and Andrew tell me at face value as I've listened to those stories before then met the vendors and found out the truth which has often differed significantly.

There are people that get carried away and talk the market up, not considering the complexities and metrics of the market they are comparing our prices too. There are those that talk the market down. I'd like to think that to this debate I've brought some balanced reason as to why you can't realistically ask Uk/Au. prices in NZ. If that actually was the case I'm sure many of us would have sold up already.

I'm in the lucky position to own two cars both of which seem to be rising fast in value in the UK market. So I have no axe to grind. However I feel very sad about this price appreciation as it increases the barrier to entry for others that may not be as lucky, reduces the pool of cars for us all to choose from in the future and makes saw point into and out of 911s of differing generations expensive and difficult.

That's the reason I don't like price discussions here Paul and I also sense we drive the others mad in debating them. Probably make a lot more friends around here is we have those conversations offline or not at all?
I need that fishing rod image.....
Old 11-02-2015, 06:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John. Love your work. You will have to clean up the exterior bell housing on the engine side a bit tho. Have you measured the thickness of the clutch material against stock new? if its even close to 50% worn may be worth flipping it for new now as the labour involved to do this later when its worn out is not insignificant even if you are doing it yourself.
Clutch measurement is in the manual. Maybe the Sachs clutch has thickened up over the years but I have 1.77mm over the beaded rivet heads. Plenty of life left.
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
This is what gets to me, but only because I've procrastinated on buying an older car and have watched the prices climb to the point where I'm hesitant to "invest". Still on the lookout for the right summer cruiser. The Wimbledon Green wide body irks me, mostly due to the way the seller behaved. I respect Glynn for saving the news so he could tell me in person and see the look on my face when I started fuming!
Jake,. I understand your frustration. The right car will come along, however. Look at the number of cars that have been bought/sold through this group alone over the last 9 months. I count 8 or 9! Some near misses too like Mark & the rusty 964 etc.

Japanese auctions are doing well because the cars can now be exported and registered in Europe and there are more LHD examples in Japan than RHD cars and they are relatively cheap compared to Germany etc. There is also a great selection in Japan as historically the country has punched above its weight with Porsche ownership per capita and it has also been a very wealthy place for a long time. You knew this already....

John, loving that head unit mate. Can you put up the link of where you bought it as others may be interested. I have a great head unit but it doesnt support iPod or phone/bluetooth.

I wonder fi they sell a "dongle" that plugs in through the AUX channel and allows bluetooth digital files to be streamed to any head unit? Im sure quality would suffer but may be a reasonable solution on the go..
Old 11-02-2015, 06:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Just search in Amazon Germany. $254 landed. Paid on 27/10. Arrived today.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:54 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Head unit looks great John, perfect for 964 or 993.

What the go with SITT, is anyone running air cooled cars? Any spaces left? I see playday has one spot in Prestige but guessing you guys have a group sorted.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:03 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Macca! Very generous offer of some passenger seat action... Myself and I'm guessing a few others in the area (DUST 00) will be coming along for a look. Looking forward to setting eyes on a GT4!

It's a heck of a tour, and am very jealous, but it's also is great motivation to get a car that I know can handle the rigours of a week of heavy touring.

SITT dates below. You are welcome to come. You could even join us at Highlands as we have some slots available. We have a couple of 911 guys from ChCH joining us just for that day. Will be around 15 x Porsche Cayman/911 there including 2 x new GT4, Cayman R & GTS, & 3 x new GT3 and a new 991TTS if that's of any interest. 40% of the field are Caymans. This year 99% of the cars are water cooled. Just more reliable and better for these trips I guess. Last year 65% were aircooled. But you need more support with 20+ year old cars and they arent so compliant for the 4000+km of touring between the tracks. This year we are all using one set of tyres for everything - I think it will be a bit more social and a little less competitive. Some You might beable to get a few laps in the passenger seat if you bring your overalls/helmet. Id be happy to take you out.

11 March (Fri) - Teretonga Invercargill
14 March (Mon) - Afternoon Highlands Cromwell (60km from QT). 3 groups = 6 x 15 min sessions
16 March (Wed) - Levels Timaru
17 March (Thurs) - Ruapuna Christchurch
Old 11-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pel. There are 13 of us RSG guys currently paid up and going. One air cooled (964T) but that shouldn't deter you as last year we all made it home without breakages or break downs. Preparation is key. Plenty of stuff for you to dual with as well. We have boxsters, base model Caymans and a range of experience from absolute novice to regular track junkies. Talk to anyone who did it last year and you'll find everyone will rave about it. There is a thread on the RSG forum with everything you need to know. Group accommodation has been booked and deposited and in some cases a little tight but plenty alternatives still available if you got onto it before end of month...

John. That head unit seems good value and as said would work well for older cars...
Old 11-02-2015, 08:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
Head unit looks great John, perfect for 964 or 993.
Thanks. This pic inspired me
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2015, 08:12 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

After the whanga 1 stage we toured through the Forgotten Highway towards Taumarunui to do another stage and then back again for whanga 2. It has 13 km of gravel road and all through nice native bush. This pic broke the boredom. 3 guys fishing in the middle of nowhere. 2 with just the knife belts on
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2015, 09:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
After the whanga 1 stage we toured through the Forgotten Highway towards Taumarunui to do another stage and then back again for whanga 2. It has 13 km of gravel road and all through nice native bush. This pic broke the boredom. 3 guys fishing in the middle of nowhere. 2 with just the knife belts on
Its got overtones of "Deliverance" mate. Bet you drove quicker after seeing that LOL
Old 11-02-2015, 09:38 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Another delivery. The Sony head unit was too bling even when in black out mode. This will hopefully be easy to wire in. Now to find some speakers.
If it works out (which it should) I'd like to copy you. I need new rear speakers too. :-P

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?