Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 10:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pointless watching the Australia market Paul, that's like watching the Uk market and wondering (as Ive pointed out) why NZ cars aren't moving for even half their UK prices in many instances....

Barrier to entry = too expensive to export to Au & UK in many instances (and make money) due to tax and compliance costs. Unless you are talking the rare stuff where the arbitrage may yield acceptable $$$ returns.

Sometimes you get lucky like I did with the 991 GT3, 993RS, 996 GT3 & 968 6speed and you did with the 996 GT3.

Its like property. Only way to hedge the market is to buy well on the way in and then even if it tanks you don't loose much of your shirt!

Remains to be seen if you have repeated your GT3 luck with the Carrera 3.2. Only time will tell. You wouldn't want this to be your reason for having bought tho or else you meet the criteria of the investor and are playing a different game. That's equities, commodities and currencies not enjoying your hobby IMO.

The whole conversation gets a but tiring doesn't it. Im thinking perhaps we shouldnt bore others here.

My feedback on Warricks listing was simply that Archibald's have been smoking crack of the belly of a naked nymph with that 993 pricing regardless of being an import, mileage or condition. Im a 993 owner so I figure I have the license to buck the trend here and spit out the cool-aid. Was a personal opinion in any case. Car is over priced event compared to the overpriced UK & Au market IMO :-)

If Max gets 120K for your old 993 next week Ill retract my statement and eat my hat happily :-)

Last edited by Macca; 11-01-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:38 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This is Macca's favourite stage coming out of Whanga. Its wet/damp to start dry in the middle and then wet/raining at the end. Caught a few out with I think 3 cars off including the beautiful and very fast giant killing JWRC Citroen only 300metres from the end. He repaired and got back on later. Some points of interest if you don't want to watch the long vid.
15.10 drifty tail but no op. lock needed just fast unwind to straight with gas on.
17.10 160k entry into 75k road marked left sweeper then past a car that went straight into bank
18.10 blind brow - reading the road - not quite sure how
to the end rain
Old 11-01-2015, 10:39 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long time lurker... This price discussion forced me to get involved. There have been a few interesting deals made over the last few months down here.
This one might take a bit longer to move though

Anyone have any ideas on this car?!
Attached Images   
Old 11-01-2015, 10:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yip. I know the car Oli Newbegins 1973 RS. Hes selling up his collection now. I think hes in his 80s. This however is again asking international Christies prices on the ground in NZ so unlikely to happen. The way to sell a car like this is to ship it to Europe/UK or USA and pay RM or a proper auction house to market it properly.

Christchurch has always been an interesting market. Keen to learn whats been happening down there recently.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Be nice if for their commission on 1.2 MM they could get the model number right on the window card?

Its a Leftie too if thats not already obvious.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Graeme. Im going outside now to crank up the internet so I can watch that stage!

Too right! I love the drive into and out of Whangamonoma and its a major benefit of the full Targa NZ IMO. I cant wait t watch your video and relive it. Sounds like a tricky stage due to the conditions this year. Those 100km of stages really suit our little 911s Ive found.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:05 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

In the 22 months I've had my SC, a few of my friends have all picked up 911's of various specs from out of town. Another SC, 2x C4 964's, 3x C2 964's.. and of those, only 1 of these cars has been moved on.

The White low K's 964 that made its way down here last year is a really nice car. Not surprised at all by the price paid.

Still have no idea how to gauge prices though. As was witnessed by Vince's C2 sale, it doesn't take much to taint a sale! The internet can a scary place to sell. A few good words can be a blessing, and a whisper of doubt can shut it all down in a second.

There's usually a winner in the end though....

Originally Posted by Macca
Yip. I know the car Oli Newbegins 1973 RS. Hes selling up his collection now. I think hes in his 80s. This however is again asking international Christies prices on the ground in NZ so unlikely to happen. The way to sell a car like this is to ship it to Europe/UK or USA and pay RM or a proper auction house to market it properly.

Christchurch has always been an interesting market. Keen to learn whats been happening down there recently.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:11 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm too lazy to hit the deck to change wheels etc, was about to buy this hoist

http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-fa...-973175519.htm

When I came across this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-fa...-973056675.htm

You can spec an internal jack tray, plus a good working height for other jobs & two car storage.

My mechanical knowledge is limited and will probably stay that way, so more just for pad swaps, wheels, removing bumpers etc

Anyone had experience with either of these, what to avoid/look for, cheers

Last edited by Pel; 11-01-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:26 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Graeme. Im going outside now to crank up the internet so I can watch that stage!

Too right! I love the drive into and out of Whangamonoma and its a major benefit of the full Targa NZ IMO. I cant wait t watch your video and relive it. Sounds like a tricky stage due to the conditions this year. Those 100km of stages really suit our little 911s Ive found.
hehe
... and a bit of sledgy understeer gas on around 21.20 off line but it didn't develop into anything...
Old 11-01-2015, 11:56 PM
Garry D
Instructor

I sent you a PM Pel

Last edited by Garry D; 11-02-2015 at 01:45 AM. Reason: dumb
Old 11-02-2015, 12:00 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Sounds like a fine idea (maintenance day)

My comments re problems finding 3rd in the Grinch... There's nothing wrong with the gearbox, no graunching for me. My problem was accidentally getting 5th instead of 3rd once changing down into T1 and once changing up. That's part of the reason for going on the practice to get more familiar.

Walter, the pads I ran on the front were (I think) race pads from BB from the D800 which were not warn past the gas gap when I installed them on the day and new cheapies on the rear (the box is in the black parts bin if you want to see what they are)
Old 11-02-2015, 12:00 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_chch
Long time lurker... This price discussion forced me to get involved. There have been a few interesting deals made over the last few months down here.

I believed Ollie's car has recently sold?
Old 11-02-2015, 12:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
hehe
... and a bit of sledgy understeer gas on around 21.20 off line but it didn't develop into anything...
Ive got a serious "sideways towards the cliff" moment in there. Didnt own a GoPro at the time but my wife and I remember it vividly.

I have the footage from the car behind me but all he sees is dust. Hit 100m of gravel road repair at close to 90kmph in a windy section. car wanted to change direction without me. To say it was a scary moment is understatement. I dipped the clutch, dabbed the brakes and hail Mary. It worked. Got back onto it with gusto straight after (Jo wasnt happy about that). Figured its like falling off a horse you have to get on again straight away. Will dig up footage somewhere.

Ill find the footage and post it.

In the meantime back to hand cranking the generator to get some internet LOL!
Old 11-02-2015, 12:07 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris_chch

For $1.2m you think they could fill out the spec sheet correctly - unless its an SC back date?
Old 11-02-2015, 12:14 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Pointless watching the Australia market Paul, that's like watching the Uk market and wondering (as Ive pointed out) why NZ cars aren't moving for even half their UK prices in many instances....

Barrier to entry = too expensive to export to Au & UK in many instances (and make money) due to tax and compliance costs. Unless you are talking the rare stuff where the arbitrage may yield acceptable $$$ returns.

Sometimes you get lucky like I did with the 991 GT3, 993RS, 996 GT3 & 968 6speed and you did with the 996 GT3.

Its like property. Only way to hedge the market is to buy well on the way in and then even if it tanks you don't loose much of your shirt!

Remains to be seen if you have repeated your GT3 luck with the Carrera 3.2. Only time will tell. You wouldn't want this to be your reason for having bought tho or else you meet the criteria of the investor and are playing a different game. That's equities, commodities and currencies not enjoying your hobby IMO.

The whole conversation gets a but tiring doesn't it. Im thinking perhaps we shouldnt bore others here.

My feedback on Warricks listing was simply that Archibald's have been smoking crack of the belly of a naked nymph with that 993 pricing regardless of being an import, mileage or condition. Im a 993 owner so I figure I have the license to buck the trend here and spit out the cool-aid. Was a personal opinion in any case. Car is over priced event compared to the overpriced UK & Au market IMO :-)

If Max gets 120K for your old 993 next week Ill retract my statement and eat my hat happily :-)
Purchased the 3.2 coz its my fav shape 911. My 993 was a much better car in all measurable statstics, and was a good example to drive, but the GT3 is this again and IB's where 'the 911' growing up as a kid and what the heart wanted....... And my wife said I needed to own 1 Pcar that had 'proper' headlights - not funny post 964 ones.....

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?