Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 09:50 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
I'm not a fan of pink, but also not a fan of assymetric dress on women or cars so probably prefer the porcine livery actually.

For my part, for the festival, I'll be in for the sprints of course but have been wrestling with overcoming my aversion to regularity trials, so that's been holding me back from entering yet.

I hate driving slowly on purpose but need to find a way to lose 10 seconds a lap or get black flagged. Barring standing water on the circuit that day, or stashing a ton of gold bars under the seats, I'm still trying to work out how to do that. The idea of old, skinny, hard tyres appealed momentarily but the hassle of swapping wheels on the day and the idea that ancient tyres might decide to give up the ghost mid Turn 1 means I'm still wanting some other options.

Rev limiting down the S-F straight as John suggested would work for losing a second or two but I'd have to halve my speed to lose 10 seconds a lap, as well as it being terminally boring for both driver and spectators. Same pretty much goes for a half-power tune.

I presume running with a fitted roof rack and some polystyrene blocks would be frowned upon?

Running some very special lines (virtual chicanes on the grid, or - safer for traffic - the inside edge of T9, the outside edge of T10 etc) might work better?

Actually, the more I think about it, the more the idea of a couple of freer RSG type track demo sessions appeals. That said, there may not be an MSNZ motorsport category for those to fit into on a race day at the festival?
We are well aware of your aversion to not driving flat out Walt - It's not a bad thing??
Old 11-25-2015, 09:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Yes he is here - was absolutly fanging a red gt3 around yesterday for it's owner in the pass seat . Apparently the guy just likes being taken for hotlaps in his own car!
Brilliant. I cant think of anything better than in car footage of Bamber driving me and my car around the track. Lucky man!
Old 11-25-2015, 10:09 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Post of the day - on multiple levels!
Yes good post JMc.

I might have to take Rosie on the track on Roadies - I could probably do 10/10th's and not make the minimum time on roadies............

Mind you - I still have a set of 15's with 214's in the back of the garage

It's hard to reform.

I do like this photo for inspiriation..........
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2015, 10:27 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
We are well aware of your aversion to not driving flat out Walt - It's not a bad thing??
Probably, but this is on a racetrack after all. And hey, everyone needs a vice...
Old 11-25-2015, 11:34 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes good post JMc.

I might have to take Rosie on the track on Roadies - I could probably do 10/10th's and not make the minimum time on roadies............

Mind you - I still have a set of 15's with 214's in the back of the garage

It's hard to reform.

I do like this photo for inspiriation..........
Is that your car back in the day Paul?
Old 11-25-2015, 11:38 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
A while back, a girl rang my son and asked if he wanted to go to a movie. He asked her which one. When she replied with "X" he said, "no thanks I don't want to see that" and he hung up. No amount of explaining that it was about spending time together rather than seeing the movie registered with him. His EQ was minimal which is why engineering is his major
After the post you quoted John, maybe your son doesnt like pink yet either? Hehe
Either that or your son doesnt rate the girl on the other end of the phone.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
After the post you quoted John, maybe your son doesnt like pink yet either? Hehe
Either that or your son doesnt rate the girl on the other end of the phone.
To be fair he was 13, it was Fiji (fleas in the cinema) and he didn't think much of the girl (suspected it was a group effort, they were the "silly lot" and he was the fill in), but men have put up with much more when there's even a sniff of an opportunity so we thought he should have gone, even if just to be polite.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:16 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Is that your car back in the day Paul?
No - this is Clive Pilkington's car, an 86 3.2 in circa 1988.

It was one of my favorites when I was around 13.

The ice green C3 beside it was Roger Anderson's, the 994T behind is Graham Cameron and the cream rear bumper is the ivory best of Racing Ray..........
Old 11-26-2015, 01:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

No - this is Clive Pilkington's car, an 86 3.2 in circa 1988.

It was one of my favorites when I was around 13.

The ice green C3 beside it was Roger Anderson's, the 994T behind is Graham Cameron and the cream rear bumper is the ivory best of Racing Ray..........
Great history.

[Buba got the call age 13 from that girl too. He wanted to go to the track not the movies..]
Old 11-26-2015, 01:59 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Also considering Pagid RSL2 pads. Anyone have personal experience with them (or the older RSL1).
Jake, my RS19/29s didn't have enough meat left for Targa so went RSTs front, RSLs rear. Would've preferred it the other way around to put more brake bias on the rear but between Pagid apparently not doing all compounds across all brake formats and Racebrakes's inventory it was the best compromise. I find the RSTs bite harder and have much more linear application/release characteristics than RS19/29s though (and than RSLs presumably, but hard to tell when they're not on the front axle), so I'm probably still happier having them up front anyway.

Squeal like pigs off track of course but then so did the 19/29 yellow endurance pads. Can't remember which numbers I went with for the pads but I did check that their cold performance was still good too and that the performance of the pads at each end varied similarly across their temperature range so brake bias would be fairly consistent.

YMMV etc...
Old 11-26-2015, 02:35 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
I use chrome with windoze at work and its crap
I use chrome with osx at home and its crap
I use the ios app and its crap...though getting better

I'm a software developer and have no tolerance for software that's crap. I don't think their focus is on the desktop version. Mobile is.

I'm glad i don't pay for a subscription any more. I can still add images, albeit via cloud url's and i don't really need the other features

rant over
It's funny how our tolerance for stupidity/amateurism within our own fields of work is low. I can't tolerate clowns in helicopters but I gladly pay my RL subscription on the basis it brings us all together and it is a tiny sum really and I just accept that software can be clunky (unless it's in my chopper). But I can see how the IT frustrates you more as you probably see how it should be easy to fix. I can't even spell URL...

Great day at Hamptons yesterday. Rain stayed away. I really rate the twilight sessions. Just the right number of laps, not too hot and often fewer people. Got a bit of a fright with a sudden woosh thunk thunk thunk noise on the front straight, thought I'd blown something expensive. Turned out to be the sunroof strip coming partially away.

There was a gorgeous Carrera 3.0 that a guy Brendon from Nth Shore had built up kinda Singer-esque complete with the stitched leather engine sound proofing and a pimped 3.2 motor.

Great to see Pel's new ride close up too; what a bargain track day car. Good times Pel.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:00 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Cheers Jason, twilight works well, namely the temperature. Had 4 great sessions, the Blue Turbo was looking fantastic, so much fun!
Old 11-26-2015, 03:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jase. Is there a site where the twilight sessions are posted so one can see future dates?
Old 11-26-2015, 03:14 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964X33
There was a gorgeous Carrera 3.0 that a guy Brendon from Nth Shore had built up kinda Singer-esque complete with the stitched leather engine sound proofing and a pimped 3.2 motor.
Photos......????
Old 11-26-2015, 03:16 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Jase. Is there a site where the twilight sessions are posted so one can see future dates?
http://www.playdayontrack.co.nz/news.php

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?