Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 06:49 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tony, just like to complement you on the quality of your ad: PPI, valuation and nice photos:

Well done and I wish you well:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-950880479.htm
Old 09-21-2015, 07:38 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 370 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Agree. Nice photos as well

A semi productive evening in that I didn't get as
much done as I wanted.

I don't know why but windows give me night sweats. The parts making up the rear quarter window assembly cost ~ $950 to replace if you stuff the seal, glass and trim. Thankfully I stuffed nothing and was rewarded with the sight of zero rust
Attached Images    
Old 09-21-2015, 06:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good luck with the sale Tony!

Great progress John. How will you get the shell to the paint shop? Will you reinstall the engine/gearbox first? What is the target date for completion?
Old 09-21-2015, 07:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi guys. I need to make some space in my unit.

I have a near new set of Hankook Z221 C70 R comp Dot rates track tyres with one winter track day on them (993). I wanted to heat cycle them so took them to HD in July 2014 and broke them in slowly over 4 sessions only. They were purchased from Brian at mega tyres in June 2014 for $2000. They are in excellent shape. they should give another 6 track days (based on my experience) and plenty of road Kms depending on set up etc.

235/40/18
285/30/18

These may suit RSG members with Caymans, 996 or 18" track wheel set up.

IMO (and I think all who have used agree) the Z221 C70 is the best performance track tyre you can buy for our cars. Some of us have burnt alot of $$$ finding this out. they are faster and more progressive that the European alternatives (Trofeo R & MPSC2) whilst being more cost effective.

Im looking for $950 the set pick up Mt Eden and will fully guarantee condition etc of the tyre.

PM me with interest.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Good luck with the sale Tony! Great progress John. How will you get the shell to the paint shop? Will you reinstall the engine/gearbox first? What is the target date for completion?
I'm progressing faster than I thought. The rear quarter light was a real concern. First you need to detach the black trim ($130) then peel the seal ($210) out from the inside until the window ($525) starts to move out. Use of urethane in the install makes it interesting as you don't want to break the glass. I have the technique sorted for the other side.

The black trim on the doors just pops out. Big things next are the mirrors, front bumper and door handles, then sunroof.

As I have another review to do in Aus, I'm going to see if I can get the car down the driveway as an engine less shell in a week or so. I'm still working on the parts order for the gearbox so I don't want to wait for that, especially as the guys are off to Rennsport and that could cause delays.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good stuff John. Getting the car down your driveway will be exciting. You need a friend with a LandCruiser and a 5000lb winch to park at the to and let it out on a cable! Where are those Australians when you need them aye!
Old 09-21-2015, 07:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Good stuff John. Getting the car down your driveway will be exciting. You need a friend with a LandCruiser and a 5000lb winch to park at the to and let it out on a cable! Where are those Australians when you need them aye!
The handbrake works. I will likely park the cayenne in the garage next to it and attach a tow top to the rear of that and the front of Herman to act as a safety in case it gets away on me. However the shell is fairly light so shouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:25 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting transfer car deal. Move 2 Porsche boxsters. First CHC-AKl 22-25 sep. Must be in WLG by 24. Other CHC-WLG 22-24 sep. Both include $100 gas and ferry for car. No rental costs.

See

https://www.transfercar.co.nz/reloca...ty/147335.html

https://www.transfercar.co.nz/reloca...ty/147378.html

No affiliation

Last edited by pcarplayer; 09-21-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I called upon a semi professional who uses Aim data acquisition to give me a read on my Sunday session so I could understand better what all this data Ive paid for and am getting from my sessions actually means.

His first comment was that my best lap wasn't my fastest lap but my third fastest of the day! Run 5 lap 2 was drier and allowed better friction in the sweeper giving better exit speed there and higher Vmax (232). You can see this in the table provided.

Moreover Run 5 lap 2 was only the second lap after the warm in lap and they tyres were still relatively cool, a clue to tyre temp management.

Lastly on Run 5 Lap 2 my average and maximum braking pressures were WAY down on my fastest lap. This isn't always good in terms of heat transmission but in places it shows where trail braking can have an advantage to heavy applications. The real data is in the fine print...

Most interestingly my fastest lap of the day was actually only my 5th fastest for AVERAGE speed. That surprised me - how can you go slower around the track but be faster? Apparently I had found a shorter way around the track! if anyone remembers it please let me know LOL!

There was tonnes of valuable advice here, way too much to type, but suffice to say I learnt so much more from my car/driving from the traces taken over the last week of track days than I thought was possible. Before I was relying only on the videos - but they weren't able to tell me all that was going on, and its easy to get distracted by pretty sound and vision...

A few more interesting points. My maximum brake pressure at Taupo was 160 bar with my fastest lap being 129 bar (most of the fast laps were around 120). I remember the 160 as I was trying to brake at the sub 100m mark from 226 kmph after Pete told me the Cayman was braking at 100 and I didn't make the turn! Duration of braking is also important. The Aim DL can show me how long and hard the pad is applied at exactly what point before the turn which is very useful. At Taupo its obvious from the data that you go from your fastest point on the track to your slowest in less than 220m so brake management here is important...

Another interesting point is the 997 Cup cars are pushing 130-150 bar brake pressure apparently, but for shorter duration (also lower weight). Some have no ABS.

It looks like

Here is some data from the best 12 laps on Sunday from the afternoon sessions. Also some notes I was provided on how I could have improved my performance on the day if a little more friction had have been available in T10. Beyond this the only way to know more is to get in the car with someone to find out what they are doing wrong.

Its quite interesting once you get into it. The difficult it was told to me is translating the analysis into actions and improvement in performance. Its very easy to read all this and say "Eureka" then go out and repeat the same bad habits. On the plus side my laps seem reasonably consistent which makes the process far easier. On the bad side it will be another 4 months before I visit HD again and a bundle of variables will change by then (temps, tyres, driver).

Thought Id post this purely for interest. Oh, in closing he told me that I wasn't The Stig even though I have the white overalls LOL! Luckily I had concluded this myself a long while ago and stopped wearing my "I am The Stig" PJs to bed. However there is apparently hope for me to become a faster/better driver. Some of the ingredients are right apparently. Some aren't, like experience, age and mechanical sympathy!
Attached Images   

Last edited by Macca; 09-22-2015 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here is the fastest lap brake data overlaid against the third fastest lap (Session 5 Lap 2).

You can see that the brakes are not applied for much longer in the slower lap and the brakes are applied with considerably lower pressure. Total heat transmission I believe is a function of the areas under each curve however so just looking at this doesn't tell the whole story. Its evident the line you take in T1 is more important than the amount of braking you do. Im on and off the brakes later and earlier in the slower lap with less duration and this heat soak but the mid corner speed does suffer as does the exit speed so safe to assume the best line/approach is neither of these but more likely somewhere in between them!

Barrel 51 seems to be where my braking has been going off the charts. However Session 5 lap 2 proves there is another approach here. My turn in is earlier hear and my exit smoother although the brake duration is overall shorter. Its the better line and execution, however the entry into Barrel 51 is slower and this is in part due to a mistake in the turn leading onto the straight to barrel 51.

The slower lap shows better approach speed, mid corner, and exit speed meaning a higher Vmax (5 kmh top speed).

So in most respects Lap 5 run 2 is the better and quicker lap in many parts and perhaps in terms of abuse on the car. However there were a few mistakes that cost the extra 10th and then some more!
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2015, 05:31 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, well, well, P Miller

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-953431950.htm

Whats the plan?
Old 09-22-2015, 06:12 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Bargain, should move fast. Well priced.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:47 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer

Whats the plan?
Has it ever been tracked Paul?
Old 09-22-2015, 08:25 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Whats the plan?
What would you rate this cars condition out of 10?... Hope the buyer inspects before committing to the purchase

Glws. Is worth asking price. Hope it stays onshore and gets driven as well by the new owner as the last!
Old 09-22-2015, 08:25 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Macca - are you triggering the ABS in the braking zones?

There are different schools of thought on this and I suppose the peculiarities of the 911's weight distribution will have a significant impact. Some hold that you should be braking so late & so hard that you're always activating the ABS & just when it looks like you won't be able to make the apex, get off the brakes & sling it in with you foot mashed to floor (after coming down the required number of gears under brakes) as soon after tha apex as possible. Apex speed of course being King.

Others would argue that such aggression does not make for controlled weight transfer & makes it difficult to gauge maximum apex speed.

I recall reading Nigel Mansell lamenting that the F1 sequential gearboxes prevented him from loop-changing from say 5th to 2nd while under maximum brakes before slinging it in to the apex. He stated that apex speed was everything because as soon as you 've apexed everyone has their foot mashed so there's nothing more that can be done to ekk out an advantage under acceleration. Only under brakes & speed through the Apex offer significant scope for advantage. A tricky situation in F1 as maximum braking force is available at the start of the braking zone & it decreases as the down force bleeds off with reduced speed. Besides - Mansell was renowned as a driver with a massive ability to outdrive deficiencies in his machine (especially through taking aggressive lines over kerbs!) - which Ferrari noted made him a magnificent race driver but not so useful in testing where he had the talent, courage & aggression to compensate for retrograde set-up changes.

Then again - in F1 any driver who is not either flat on the gas or the brakes really needs to justify why he's operating a feathered or partial throttle or weak braking. Then again - they have the metrics to quantify the maximum forces, speeds & accelerations the car can sustain on a given ciruit under given weather/atmoshperic conditions. They can tell a driver if he's only used 93% of the available grip through a corner!

Another article captured Walter riding with a Carrera Cup racer & observing that for the 911 it's important not to brake too late as that compromises earlier application power. Mr Rohl pointed out that while impossibly late braking in the 911 may feel faster (and indeed might be useful for gaining track position) it compromised lap time due to having to sort out the weigth transfer later, which translated to later power application out of the corner.

These data traces really get you thinking!

Tim

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?