Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 08:23 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Originally Posted by esonefour
Kirk tool is very cool to use. But not sure how mm perfect you have to be, ocd made me do it to the micron.
I will be OCD as well. I feel the need to prove DIY is possible to those that worry about stuffing things up.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:32 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats quite a pile of goodies John. Great stuff. Herman going to feel like a new man when all said and done (if there is such a thing on a 25 year old car)
Old 09-18-2015, 10:12 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

^^^ is that like a hip replacement for us oldies
Old 09-19-2015, 02:11 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The 991 RS is quite striking in the flesh.

I think the owner has picked it up this avo. His son was there and getting stroppy with all the admirers.

Not a pretty car (IMHO) but certainly has a presence.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:12 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The 991 RS is quite striking in the flesh.

I think the owner has picked it up this avo. His son was there and getting stroppy with all the admirers.

Not a pretty car (IMHO) but certainly has a presence.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:54 AM
Luke944
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you guys had a brilliant time on NITT. I’m gutted I missed it but was away.

I’ve just clicked over the one year anniversary of buying my 993 and it’s certainly exceeded my expectations! It still feels special every time I drive it even taking it on mundane trips and has been really reliable. I’ve nearly driven it the length of the country going up to Auckland and down to Invercargill along with 5 track days. It’s only been minor maintenance and has left me stranded just the once when the alternator died. Other than that it’s been a joyous 10,000 kms so I'm looking forward to the next 10,000.

For those in Wellington the 918 Spyder is on display at Armstrongs at the moment if you want a sneak peak before the Porsche club viewing on Tuesday. The 918 really is a stunning car! A lot prettier in person. Was a good excuse for a drive for me to take my car out. Nice to see the Arena Red 993 Turbo too. In really good condition with 67kms on it.
Attached Images   
Old 09-19-2015, 03:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Love the look of your car Luke on my old wheels. Drop it 30mm and it would be tuning!!

The 918 was way better in the flesh than the pictures. The 991RS IMO is aggressive but not well aesthetically resolved, messy with detailing and an odd stance from the raised rear to tuck in the 21" alloys. I bet it goes bloody well tho!!
Old 09-19-2015, 04:51 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Christmas
All that new stuff and there is still a kink in the rear bumper strut?
Old 09-19-2015, 05:28 AM
Garry D
Instructor

Luke your car looks great , those wheels are the bomb

Originally Posted by Luke944
Sounds like you guys had a brilliant time on NITT. I’m gutted I missed it but was away.

I’ve just clicked over the one year anniversary of buying my 993 and it’s certainly exceeded my expectations! It still feels special every time I drive it even taking it on mundane trips and has been really reliable. I’ve nearly driven it the length of the country going up to Auckland and down to Invercargill along with 5 track days. It’s only been minor maintenance and has left me stranded just the once when the alternator died. Other than that it’s been a joyous 10,000 kms so I'm looking forward to the next 10,000.

For those in Wellington the 918 Spyder is on display at Armstrongs at the moment if you want a sneak peak before the Porsche club viewing on Tuesday. The 918 really is a stunning car! A lot prettier in person. Was a good excuse for a drive for me to take my car out. Nice to see the Arena Red 993 Turbo too. In really good condition with 67kms on it.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
All that new stuff and there is still a kink in the rear bumper strut?
I'll get to that. Need to sort BB2 first. Neil got her a WOF today (only took 4 hours!) but we had to promise to fit new tie rods before we race, which is next Saturday. Fingers crossed the old ones come off easily and that I don't forget the number of turns to get them off otherwise the alignment will be off. I already had one spare so the cost is only $46.

Meanwhile the money pit that is Herman gets deeper. New plain door sill plates (can't wait to get the RS ones off), rear indicator lenses and engine decals.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:09 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca and Pete, this is as close as I can get considering you have different start/finish lines on your AIMs. Pete is the Red trace, his favourite colour.

Looks like there is no substitute for power, but the R holds its own in the twisties.
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2015, 07:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Macca and Pete, this is as close as I can get considering you have different start/finish lines on your AIMs. Pete is the Red trace, his favourite colour. Looks like there is no substitute for power, but the R holds its own in the twisties.
Thanks for doing that John. Talking with Pete today I can see where I'm going wrong at the A1GP corner. I only picked up how that line should have been run later in the day after talking with Pete. I understand now I should just stab the brake briefly before turning in to carry speed and although I improved my time there I'm still over braking and can see how I could carry another 7-8kmph through there. Next time I can gain a few tenths using that knowledge. Experience speaks for itself with that corner. The infield looks similar time over all but different approach using different lines for different chassis. I think my approach into the S at the end of the back straight needs work and need to sit in a car with Chris/Pete or Steve to nail that better. Probably a tenth or two there I guess. I'm still over braking for the clubhouse hairpin. That's just a bad habit from the 993 which can't carry as much speed and needs precisely setting up. I just need a bit more practice and confidence on that one as I know the car can carry more than I'm giving it in that corner - just the price for screwing it up is high why has kept me a bit shy. I can see 0.5-0.7s on the table for a PB of 1.41.5 at Taupo if the car is left in stock trim, but if I'm honest given my skill level and experience at Taupo I don't honestly think I could do any better than that without tyre/geo changes and I'm not prepared to touch the GT3 prefer to leave it 100% stock even putting back on the OEM pads again next week as the endless have not performed to expectation (wear rates be pad transfer). Obviously a better driver than me could find another 1-1.5s out there lap after lap but I'd be very surprised if the 991 GT3 could dip below 1.40 regardless. I think the series 997 cup times are around 1.35-36....
Old 09-19-2015, 07:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah. Jamie was in the car for that reference lap as well. But he's pretty skinny ;-)
Old 09-19-2015, 08:11 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Oh yeah. Jamie was in the car for that reference lap as well. But he's pretty skinny ;-)
I'm sure the 145 Hp advantage over the R compensated for carrying a passenger. Were any other GT3 drivers using AIMs?
Old 09-19-2015, 03:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I'm sure the 145 Hp advantage over the R compensated for carrying a passenger. Were any other GT3 drivers using AIMs?
The HP doesn't seems as relevant as the driver when you witness Nigel C blitzing cars with much more power in his 360 BHP GT3. Tyres are probably the next factor and then power is 3rd. My first lap out at Taupo was 149.8 which was basically my fastest two years earlier when I drove Taupo for the first time in the GT3 (got some tuition that day from Ray). Knowing the lines is important. Paul was basically the same. We were both wondering what all the GT3 hype was about at that stage.

I don't think any of the GT3 drivers had Aim.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?