Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry John was looking at that picture wrong. Its intake manifold side not exhaust manifold. Intake valve - yes...
Old 08-19-2015, 03:31 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I was referring to your bottom picture. that is exhaust side no?

Yes I use an iPad too. However I use a PC for posting and always re-size my pictures first. Posting full 5MB pictures is great but downloading them especially on iphone data plan is slow unless you re size them. Because the site is now playing up with large pictures (if you are on a PC you would need a 27 inch monitor to see the ones you posted) many thread son RL are now trying to ban the use of large images that haven't been re-sized. Its becoming a real headache. I cant use the iPhone an longer and now the PC is useless as soon as someone puts up a 5MB file. My ipad if OK but I rarely ever write a response form it as the spell check is painful and I dont keep any heavy picture resources on it for posting.

Whinge over.

Rear RMS is a common one. If the valve covers are the plastic ones they deform slightly with age and heat. they can look ok but be a bit warped. Frankly I think you can probably get away with re using them once those channels and gaskets are replaced but Rennline now make some nice alloy ones which are no longer expensive and have the ignition lead clips on them and all the factory stuff. They weren't available when I did mine last in 2011 and the ones that were were silver or red anodized and very expensive but Rennline ones are cheaper and better as they have the lead clips and they come in black. Might be worth considering. If your gonna do it might as well come out of it with a part that will last a lifetime and looks better to?
Has something changed?
I used to be able to upload a pic of any size and it would auto resize.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 344 Posts

I was referring to your bottom picture. that is exhaust side no? Yes I use an iPad too. However I use a PC for posting and always re-size my pictures first. Posting full 5MB pictures is great but downloading them especially on iphone data plan is slow unless you re size them. Because the site is now playing up with large pictures (if you are on a PC you would need a 27 inch monitor to see the ones you posted) many thread son RL are now trying to ban the use of large images that haven't been re-sized. Its becoming a real headache. I cant use the iPhone an longer and now the PC is useless as soon as someone puts up a 5MB file. My ipad if OK but I rarely ever write a response form it as the spell check is painful and I dont keep any heavy picture resources on it for posting. Whinge over. Rear RMS is a common one. If the valve covers are the plastic ones they deform slightly with age and heat. they can look ok but be a bit warped. Frankly I think you can probably get away with re using them once those channels and gaskets are replaced but Rennline now make some nice alloy ones which are no longer expensive and have the ignition lead clips on them and all the factory stuff. They weren't available when I did mine last in 2011 and the ones that were were silver or red anodized and very expensive but Rennline ones are cheaper and better as they have the lead clips and they come in black. Might be worth considering. If your gonna do it might as well come out of it with a part that will last a lifetime and looks better to?
I'll do future photo posting from my iMac.

These are the top covers so inlet side. I think the gunge is actually gasket goo. I'll ask Izzy what he used as it didn't leak. The covers are alloy. A bit corroded but still good enough. I don think I will go nuts in the engine bay, clean and well maintained is the goal. Getting the RMS leak sorted will be the best improvement. No more leaks - yeah right. Good grief this is fun. I can see so much of what's going on and where the money went in 2013! So much was replaced that Herman is ready for another 25 years of DD after I do this.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:59 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Has something changed? I used to be able to upload a pic of any size and it would auto resize.
Dave, this seems limited to Garage Talk on the iPhone so far.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:13 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Originally Posted by Maxem
Has something changed?
I used to be able to upload a pic of any size and it would auto resize.
The new iPhone app is absolute ****, and is causing many frustrations. This is one of them. I've cancelled my paid subscription as a result.

I've been trying to post IMG tagged external links, which are working on all but this thread for some reason!!
Old 08-19-2015, 04:43 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
The new iPhone app is absolute ****, and is causing many frustrations. This is one of them. I've cancelled my paid subscription as a result.

I've been trying to post IMG tagged external links, which are working on all but this thread for some reason!!
I'm almost exclusively on iPad, and it used to work fine.

Edit; on ipad just through a web page, not through the app
Old 08-19-2015, 05:26 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Attached Images   
Old 08-19-2015, 06:10 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

RSG................
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2015, 06:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
RSG................
You can watch the man himself say that at the start of this video http://youtu.be/e_SBZ6YoVzA
Old 08-19-2015, 07:45 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

The movie I saw at the NZFF the other week was pretty amazing; Steve McQueen, the Man and Le Mans. An amazing story behind the original film I was not aware of, Steve McQ being a bit of a w+ker, conflicts with directors, no script until well after filming was due to finish, rolling a car off-set with his co-actress onboard, David Piper's 917 crash in filming which cost his leg, McQ supposed to be at the dinner which ended up in the Manson murders but he was off ********. Worth a watch if only for the 917 footage but an intriguing piece of motorsport/film history.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:56 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the 964 C2 ceased production at the end of MY 1993. I dont believe there is such thing as a 1994 MY 964 in naturally aspirated guise. Others may correct me. Probably just yet another inaccuracy in the advert.

Was the 991 GT3 you saw in the showroom Rodium Silver with around 4000km on the clock? If so it is Watts car.

The 991 GT3 listed at new 277,500K on road in NZ (list base price 275K + ORC). That was with NZ options (which included front lift kit and a few other things). Most would have gone out the door between 285-310K depending on options (PCCB would have made the car 310K with a few little upgrades). Im guessing the average 991 GT3 would have been delivered at around 292K NZD on the road.

Porsche Cars Australia really sharpened their pencil on the 991 GT3 for NZ at the time as they feared UK imports. The 991 GT3RS has been priced more in line with their standard pricing policy. $362K on road and I guess the average car will be around $378K with options. So around 86K more than a similar specced GT3 which is consistent with the old mark up structure and in line with the difference in UK and US markets (35K GBP, 50K Euro, 50K USD).

Ive been told by a couple of owners that the 991 GT3 RS (price plus limited availability) has strengthened 991 GT3 used/trade prices but I have no evidence thats the case unless of course you can confirm the $300K asking for the one in the showroom is Watts used car delivered this time last year.

In terms of discount structure for cars like new GT3. This is a tricky one. It depends on the customer and the relationship. Generally speaking the very best customers who haggled hard and had an existing relationship could probably have negotiated a 18K discount on the car best case scenario. however its most likely this would have been applied to their trade in to keep the sale price clean of discounts. Without a trade the best you could expect would be perhaps 13K but again depends on relationship and what else you committed to buying. PCNZ would have argued at the time that they were already heavily discounting the car for NZ market and the margin was thin.

Its worth remembering too that MY2014 owners affected by the engine recall were offered a cash settlement as compensation which effectively reduced the cost of their car by 10% or so. The other alternative was they received full refund for their car. Interestingly (and perhaps this is a NZ psyche thing) everyone bailed (8 cars had been delivered or were about to be delivered with another 4 or 5 caught up at the factory) barr one who took his compensation by way of exclusive upgrades for his car, and myself (who took the cash compensation!). So the reality is if those people had have accepted delivery of their car, taken the compensation and negotiated hard up front then their current 991 GT3 would owe them around $240K giving them at least 18 months of depreciation proof ownership! As I say interestingly only one NZ customer took this option (and by way of options and Porsche selection gear etc).

Interesting scenario which no doubt will get lost in history of time...

Originally Posted by gt38088
that's the one on the CCS web site just under 270k
The 300k one in CCS is a white one, so must be new delivery, non clubsport interior with red stitching. Interesting stuff around the compensation and pricing, The potential for a years free GT3 rental sounds like a good time!
Old 08-19-2015, 08:01 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
The movie I saw at the NZFF the other week was pretty amazing; Steve McQueen, the Man and Le Mans. An amazing story behind the original film I was not aware of, Steve McQ being a bit of a w+ker, conflicts with directors, no script until well after filming was due to finish, rolling a car off-set with his co-actress onboard, David Piper's 917 crash in filming which cost his leg, McQ supposed to be at the dinner which ended up in the Manson murders but he was off ********. Worth a watch if only for the 917 footage but an intriguing piece of motorsport/film history.
The NZFF is kicking off here in Hawkes Bay soon, no Steve McQueen movie f@ck it!
Old 08-19-2015, 08:36 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been flat out lately so catching up on much of the action here, after just the odd nibble. John, that shot of you popping out of Herman's engine bay with "Eat. Sleep. Track. Repeat" behind you is priceless and probably deserves to be printed on glass and thrown on the wall of your garage.

Was getting serious Porsche withdrawal symptoms until I got excited last week when Contis called me on that Tuesday and told me my car would be ready in a day or two. I thought I might be able to bomb last weekend's PCNZ track day but the replacement oil hose was delayed so I only got her back today. Good to see that so many got out to HD and did the business though.

Noticed the heads up on the 2KCup front too thanks. Incredible how much cheaper it is to prepare for a season when we already have the race cars!

Am loving the type number pics again this time around too. Here's a bit more on the awesome 917. In this case, Count Rossi's roadgoing one:

http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/12/29/r...l-porsche-917/

Name:  Porsche-917-030.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  65.9 KB

Fuller story and pics here: http://duddha.me/2015/02/16/focus-th...d-porsche-917/

Last edited by 996tnz; 08-19-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:06 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

We are getting to the point where the cars are fully developed. I'll be interested to see what the drivers think of BB2 with a new clutch and gearbox, plus removal of the short shifter. The clutch is incredibly light. What it does need is bedding in. I will drive her to Chris M's place on Sunday to get some road miles on the clutch. Ideally someone else will do some as well.

BTW: We have a spare box for the Grinch, so crash through the gears until it breaks, then we just replace it. However, be kinder on the one in BB2....
Old 08-20-2015, 06:36 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Somehow cramming two grown moustachioed men in Ray Bans into a road going 917 doesn't exactly do much for the sex appeal of the extraordinary car!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?