Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 06:54 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Dave - you and I need 10mm spacers to fill out the rear arches.

Does anyone have a set of spacers I could have a play with?
Old 09-28-2015, 08:19 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911

Maybe....it's running sixes and sevens. Frans' 3.2 on the tour had the same but with 28mm so it can take a bit.
I quite like a lowered car with a bit of negative and well tucked wheels. It kind of suits an SC. Gotta get it right otherwise it looks too cartoonish.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:49 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And so it begins...
Old 09-28-2015, 02:52 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Maybe....it's running sixes and sevens. Frans' 3.2 on the tour had the same but with 28mm so it can take a bit.
I quite like a lowered car with a bit of negative and well tucked wheels. It kind of suits an SC. Gotta get it right otherwise it looks too cartoonish.
Am I correct in understanding you are saying the light blue Carrera had 28mm spacers on the rear of the car??

I wonder why Porsche chose to run the rims so far into the wheel well?
Old 09-28-2015, 02:54 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
And so it begins...
You are asking a leopard to change his spots...........
Old 09-28-2015, 05:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The first half of this video gives a better representation of the weekends driving. Mostly nice flowing curves. We always make sure we are cautious in built up areas, around livestock and when people are on the road :-)

Old 09-28-2015, 05:53 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spacers and races

Am I correct in understanding you are saying the light blue Carrera had 28mm spacers on the rear of the car??

Reckon it's just to leave room for the S models and/or boost tequipment sales of wider rims etc.

Unless run with aftermarket suspension tuned to suit, I'm not sure that going with overly large spacers has a track performance benefit on its own. The wider track is great but running more spacer also effectively softens your spring rates and damping (as the track now has more leverage against the suspension). My guess is that 5 to 10mm of spacer is maybe the sweet spot with stock suspension but I could be mistaken. Has anyone researched it or run some tests?

Paul, I have some spacers you could borrow for a month or so, but I think they're probably 19mm. Probably don't have a set of spacer sized hub bolts for an air cooled though.

Macca, thanks for deconstructing your runs in the 993 vs the 991. I undertand the appeal of the older, rawer car and you're spoilt for choice with your two machines.

Thanks for the vids too. I'll be checking them out as soon as I can. My time has been crazy lately - the fish I caught on Fri (snapper, gurnard and lots of kahawai) only got filleted last night, finishing under lights.

Almost canned the fishing trip as it usually takes me a day or so to get my land legs backs after the Kaipara but I mainlined ginger root pills and was fine to race the next morning.

As I catch up on things (Sunday was family birthdays in Hamilton followed by a marathon wait session at the A&E from 9pm until my son's acute ear infection was finally dealt with at about 2am) I'll chuck a race report up on RSG soon, but the TLDR version is that Neil had BB2s brakes attended to but still had them dragging a bit during his qualifying and first race. Heat gunning his front rotors post race versus mine showed they were about 80 degrees C hotter (about 360 vs 280C). Caliper temps would've still been under SRF's 310C dry boiling point but not by much so Neil decided he'd rather be sure of driving her home than doubling up his odds by racing her again in the second.

As always seems to happen at HD meets, the schedule thrashed around like a snake with its head cut off. I was down for the third and final qualifying session which was slated to be just before lunch. Around 11 or so I was readying myself and found out it had been moved forward heaps and had already finished. Somehow the gods smiled on me and I still found my way onto the back of the slower pack for the first race before making up 28 odd places to finish 11th from 39 on the grid.

The second race was a reverse grid with groups of ten flagged away at 10 second intervals. Last race of the day, it was shortened to 25 minutes. This time I managed 3rd from 29th on grid. John later told me it was RSG's first podium, and our trophy cabinet is a bottle of carwash richer too. Wish I'd recorded it too but my cam battery died after race 1.

Having now raced reverse grids at HD from both the front (P1) and pretty much the back (P39), I must say that apart from the laps where you're actually leading off P1, it is more fun starting from the back and ripping up through the field.

Neil was brilliant, staying on in support, and we convoyed back together again at day's end. He also took a lot of passing and a lot of shaking off, even in a compromised BB2.

Last edited by 996tnz; 09-28-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:25 PM
esonefour
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red on red looks great, orange/green combo is pretty gross, that's why I have a D-zug carbon reflector panel and also changed to red rear lights.
John on your sills did you end up removing that little skin tab?
Mine were about the same condition, ditched the rubber covers and went for black aluminium ones.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:30 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by esonefour
Red on red looks great, orange/green combo is pretty gross, that's why I have a D-zug carbon reflector panel and also changed to red rear lights.
John on your sills did you end up removing that little skin tab?
Mine were about the same condition, ditched the rubber covers and went for black aluminium ones.
Shannon, I cleaned both sills last night and lifted the tab (metal?)

Basically I had overreacted. There is very minor surface rust. I would prefer to put another material on there and a sealant to make the area convex and shed rather than pool water. When the car is repainted I will look at a wax type covering to keep water out of the general area.

Other than that there are the usual ups and downs with sourcing items. Right now we can't find any new G50 3/4 gear guide sleeves in the World. All are on back order with Germany. I have a used one possibility with cogs cogs and Steve is looking in the US. I'm aiming for an unveiling at the Porsche Club picnic.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Walter, the brake symptoms point to a brake booster adjustment issue. Looking at the manual this is beyond my capabilities. I'll try and get it to a mechanic before the next race.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:24 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Nice to see you back on line Walter...........you went quiet for a while there??
Old 09-29-2015, 12:24 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
The first half of this video gives a better representation of the weekends driving. Mostly nice flowing curves. We always make sure we are cautious in built up areas, around livestock and when people are on the road :-)

Simply.Awesome.Roads.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:09 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, but he is riding high and if stanced correctly it might be tight. My SC looks like it could easily swallow at least 20mm as it stands. I guess when Porsche specced up the SC's, Carerra's and Turbo's there wasn't the trend to push wheels out and we accepted it as it was. I remember back in the 80's the old man got hold of one of the first Audi slippery 100's and that was cool but check out the wheel inset on those now. Huge, but we never gave it a second thought at the time.
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2015, 05:28 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Reckon it's just to leave room for the S models and/or boost tequipment sales of wider rims etc.

Unless run with aftermarket suspension tuned to suit, I'm not sure that going with overly large spacers has a track performance benefit on its own. The wider track is great but running more spacer also effectively softens your spring rates and damping (as the track now has more leverage against the suspension). My guess is that 5 to 10mm of spacer is maybe the sweet spot with stock suspension but I could be mistaken. Has anyone researched it or run some tests?

Paul, I have some spacers you could borrow for a month or so, but I think they're probably 19mm. Probably don't have a set of spacer sized hub bolts for an air cooled though.

Macca, thanks for deconstructing your runs in the 993 vs the 991. I undertand the appeal of the older, rawer car and you're spoilt for choice with your two machines.

Thanks for the vids too. I'll be checking them out as soon as I can. My time has been crazy lately - the fish I caught on Fri (snapper, gurnard and lots of kahawai) only got filleted last night, finishing under lights.

Almost canned the fishing trip as it usually takes me a day or so to get my land legs backs after the Kaipara but I mainlined ginger root pills and was fine to race the next morning.

As I catch up on things (Sunday was family birthdays in Hamilton followed by a marathon wait session at the A&E from 9pm until my son's acute ear infection was finally dealt with at about 2am) I'll chuck a race report up on RSG soon, but the TLDR version is that Neil had BB2s brakes attended to but still had them dragging a bit during his qualifying and first race. Heat gunning his front rotors post race versus mine showed they were about 80 degrees C hotter (about 360 vs 280C). Caliper temps would've still been under SRF's 310C dry boiling point but not by much so Neil decided he'd rather be sure of driving her home than doubling up his odds by racing her again in the second.

As always seems to happen at HD meets, the schedule thrashed around like a snake with its head cut off. I was down for the third and final qualifying session which was slated to be just before lunch. Around 11 or so I was readying myself and found out it had been moved forward heaps and had already finished. Somehow the gods smiled on me and I still found my way onto the back of the slower pack for the first race before making up 28 odd places to finish 11th from 39 on the grid.

The second race was a reverse grid with groups of ten flagged away at 10 second intervals. Last race of the day, it was shortened to 25 minutes. This time I managed 3rd from 29th on grid. John later told me it was RSG's first podium, and our trophy cabinet is a bottle of carwash richer too. Wish I'd recorded it too but my cam battery died after race 1.

Having now raced reverse grids at HD from both the front (P1) and pretty much the back (P39), I must say that apart from the laps where you're actually leading off P1, it is more fun starting from the back and ripping up through the field.

Neil was brilliant, staying on in support, and we convoyed back together again at day's end. He also took a lot of passing and a lot of shaking off, even in a compromised BB2.
Hey Walt
Its a great result. must hve been carving up the field. The other boys will have to pry you out of the seat in future. Well done!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:35 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice to see you back on line Walter...........you went quiet for a while there??
Some M&A activity was monopolizing my attention.Only managed a quick lurk every now and then to stay in touch with everyone's developments but getting back to normal now. Managed to squeeze in a gaming/sim build though (will double for track vid editing - multiple overnight renders get old quick).

Got to make my peace with Steam etc content protection/spyware before hitting modern games. In the meantime am discovering a few oldies I missed. Richard Burns Rally seems to have great physics (was pranging four or five times each stage during the first run due to over enthusiasm).

NITT was most missed and the Northland foray looked epic too. Looking forward to getting along to some of the other events leading up to the Porsche Festival of Speed at HD in January. I was well overdue for my race fix by Saturday's Round 1 of 2KCup.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?