Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 06:09 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Fine looking C4 Chris - looked the mutts nuts on Cup II's...........
Old 09-18-2015, 08:10 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great looking car Chris. Black mirrors look good. John, Mr Black has a long way to go, less than the owner mind you. He needs plenty of development work
Old 09-18-2015, 08:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good point re de cluttering mode!! I got distracted. I don't need carpet... :-)

Pete. I need John to confirm but it looks like I only have Aim data for last two sessions at Taupo as it appears the memory on the head unit is very limited and running it (testing the smartycam) from Taupo to Auckland has wiped the earlier 68 memory slots including all Manfiekd data although luckily I have the in car telemetry with data overlays for those 6 sessions.

I can only assume it is more memory hungry due to the ECU telemetry it captures and the small 16MB onboard storage? I got so used to the PerformanceBox (had a 2GB SD card in it that has never once got close to filling up - I do rate the performance box) that I never thought to download the files (as I do with the smarty am video files regularly). As such I only have a dozen or two of 1.42-1.43 laps at Taupo to overlay with the Cayman R but it will still be interesting to compare. I think you will be sold on the additional 16 channels of telemetry data the DL will give you via obd2 hook up. It's really interesting to see the shift and rpm points, throttle % etc and to overlay them across the vmax graph. Gives a whole mother dynamic to understanding what's happening out there. Still a few channels such as brake pressure I can't find (should be there as show on video) but hopefully John can help.

My guess is the Cayman holds more speed mid corner but less on exit and the straights. Your lowest vmax is probably higher than my 55kmph. My take on it is that there is 3-3.5s between the two cars (like for like driver) on standard geo with the R on stickier tyres. the R is probably good for mid 43s set up with geo and the GT3 for an early 40 on comparable rubber (trofeo R). I think the cup cars run 35-36 on that track. For repeated 40s mistakes in T1 & the Ss would need correcting and more consistency in mid field. After 7 x 20 minute sessions at that pace I believe the car would be running fine even with another 10c ambient but the tyres, pads and rotors would be taking a real hammering and would wear fast. The Cayman R is quick on z221 but durability could be the challenge especially shaving off another second with geo and pounding it repeatedly?

Hopefully John can teach us a few tricks with the data. I need to know the logic the system operates (I.e. File placement, export options etc) and how to overlay independent sessions etc and bring up additional consuls within the same screen. Id also like to calibrate the g sensors. The GPS g sensors are out. The GT3 in boult system shows 1.38 sustained lateral g left and right on fastest lap at Taupo but the Aim shows 3+ and the Aim GPS shows 1.08. The GT3 system is supposedly quite accurate however I'd like the Aim unit to be more comparable...
Old 09-18-2015, 04:18 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

http://blipshift.com/products/airing...eid=6e21636fc4

Cool.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Beat me to it. That will be my Summer T of choice.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Christmas
Attached Images   
Old 09-18-2015, 05:35 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
I heard it was here. I must go have a look on the weekend. Im a bit disappointing it is not Lava Orange or Ultra Violet. It would be good to see it at the track running in anger...
964 owner did a factory tour and saw RS lined up. Apparently Java looked popular or it that just Lava misspelled ?
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2015, 05:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. I feel the joy of returning to those boxes. I know what it's like.

Love the T shirt but have banned myself from any more. I own 20 T shirts and 18 of them have Porsche/car related stuff on them. It's now getting embarrassing when travelling with groups offshore as the question inevitably rises....you own Porsches!!! Then I find things go down hill a bit. Human nature and stereo types. Hard to be a hip and cool über traveller when you've been flushed out as a Porsche owning capitalist swine imposter ;-)
Old 09-18-2015, 05:55 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

If you can't make it down to CCS to have a perve at the RS next best option is to look on their FB page they have posted a piccy
Old 09-18-2015, 06:13 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Lost for words

Old 09-18-2015, 06:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

That figure 8 racing looks like great fun.

So does the prospect of fitting/using all of this
Attached Images    
Old 09-18-2015, 06:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Lost for words

Ive got three for you. WTF! followed by another three "Only in America!"
Old 09-18-2015, 07:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Wow John! That's an impressive pile of stuff!

While you have the time maybe dismantle the wiper arm units and have those sprayed back to black (something you can do yourself).

Good work on the gaskets under the mirrors. Did you get the small black plastic screw caps that sit in the recess holes on the mirrors?

Im not sure if ToreB does an LED kit for the 964 but now may be a good time to fit it. It works well. Again not sure if HID upgrade is possible on 964 but its very cheap now ($120 USD a set etc) and very popular upgrade on the 993.

If you get stuck for any small bits and pieces over the next two weeks drop me an email. I have over 100kg of small parts for the 993 (screws, gaskets, seals, brackets & plugs) I have purchased and/or removed form my 993 over the last 15 years in my unit. 5 x 80L plastic storage containers to be precise. I know alot of it is cross compatible. Could save you if you get stuck....
Old 09-18-2015, 07:48 PM
esonefour
Intermediate

Kirk tool is very cool to use. But not sure how mm perfect you have to be, ocd made me do it to the micron.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Wow John! That's an impressive pile of stuff!

While you have the time maybe dismantle the wiper arm units and have those sprayed back to black (something you can do yourself).

Good work on the gaskets under the mirrors. Did you get the small black plastic screw caps that sit in the recess holes on the mirrors?

Im not sure if ToreB does an LED kit for the 964 but now may be a good time to fit it. It works well. Again not sure if HID upgrade is possible on 964 but its very cheap now ($120 USD a set etc) and very popular upgrade on the 993.

If you get stuck for any small bits and pieces over the next two weeks drop me an email. I have over 100kg of small parts for the 993 (screws, gaskets, seals, brackets & plugs) I have purchased and/or removed form my 993 over the last 15 years in my unit. 5 x 80L plastic storage containers to be precise. I know alot of it is cross compatible. Could save you if you get stuck....
No didn't see those screws. I will do the wipers. I have all of the other parts, I think.

New carpet doesn't smell like grandmas house. I would love to have driven these cars when the new smell was there. I think most 25 year old cars give a very different experience.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?